Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 May 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Sorry, virgin Atlantic again

I am not sure when the change happened but I noticed yesterday that for those who booked flights with virgin atlantic before March 2020 for flights up to September 30th (previously June 30th) can now change their tickets to an open ticket.

We are definitely wanting to re book for next year so i was going to organise that today. however i have just read Martin Lewis’s update on vouchers, credit notes saying that he has confirmed that they will not be covered by credit cards if the company go bust (sorry i do not know how to post a link)
Is an open ticket basically a voucher?
I am un sure what to do now with the current worry over Virgin Atlantic (or any travel companies under the current situation)

Edited at 09:44 AM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Bradz
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I’ve been saying this for weeks. It’s a proper grey area IMO and I would not like to be the one that takes the plunge and loses all that money because someone on here says it’s not the same as a voucher.

google/amp/s/m...ur-rights/amp/
Bradz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
disneyfan14
Getting Excited

My advice for people with bookings upto september is wait as can always 14 days before hand start the request to change it to a open ticket but it will inevitably be cancelled anyway due to LGW no longer being covered as an example along with current advice to travel to the USA being unlikely to change before then. This way with the cancellation can just ask for refund and the process may speed up by that time due to boris making more businesses go back to work.
disneyfan14 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenS
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We’re in the same situation. Flying 22nd August. We have decided that we probably won’t go this year even if flights are operating meaning potentially we could have lost our money so this is good news for us but worried about the risk also but feels better than where we were before they extended the date. If that makes sense.
KarenS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Am I correct that virgin only cancel 72 hours before the flight is due?
But if you want to change it to an open ticket it must be done 2 weeks before the flight is due?

If flights due go ahead in July we can not risk going with our daughters medical issues.
So either way we ate not going. But i dont fancy loosing thousands in the process.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
yodamummy
Getting to know the DIBB

We are in the same situation as you, were due to fly 29th June but that's not going to happen unfortunately, but we definitely will be going at a later date. Would like Virgin to say flight is cancelled so I can ask for refund, but they won't.
Agreeing to the open ticket leaves me with no flexibility when rebooking. If I had my money back i would be free to fly with any airline of my choosing. Also as you say what happens it they go bust!

Good luck to everyone rebooking and planning their next holiday 😃
Old 14 May 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Am I correct that virgin only cancel 72 hours before the flight is due?
But if you want to change it to an open ticket it must be done 2 weeks before the flight is due?

If flights due go ahead in July we can not risk going with our daughters medical issues.
So either way we ate not going. But i dont fancy loosing thousands in the process.
My experience may not be typical but our outbound flight of 21 April was cancelled by VA by email on 5 April - some 15 days ahead.

I immediately claimed a refund and I'm still waiting so last Monday I lodged a dispute with HSBC credit card.

Mick
Old 14 May 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disneyfan14
Getting Excited

Well the cancellations will be much sooner because the route has now changed as virgin are no longer flying out of certain places and as a result will be a significant change to what was booked however they keep saying have to wait weeks. I am hoping will find out within the 4 week period roughly of the announcement they made.
disneyfan14 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneyfan14 View Post
Well the cancellations will be much sooner because the route has now changed as virgin are no longer flying out of certain places and as a result will be a significant change to what was booked however they keep saying have to wait weeks. I am hoping will find out within the 4 week period roughly of the announcement they made.
We are flying from Manchester so i doubt ours would get cancelled until last minute?
Old 14 May 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
My experience may not be typical but our outbound flight of 21 April was cancelled by VA by email on 5 April - some 15 days ahead.

I immediately claimed a refund and I'm still waiting so last Monday I lodged a dispute with HSBC credit card.

Mick
Hi Mick and Joan.
We have our flights booked via netflights and paid a visit to their website yesterday(they haven't updated their information since April 30th )
Anyway their refund policy is the moment they get it from the carrier they immediately pass it on to their customer. Their experience is that Virgin are taking approximately 100 days to issue refunds.
Hope this is of some help