Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Nov 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemouse
Looking for Mickey

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Anyone from Germany/relatives in Germany

I want to make up a small gift basket of typically British treats for a German family. This has to transport to Florida, so can't be pork pie and Stinking Bishop cheese unfortunately. I wanted to be items not freely available in Germany. So far I'm thinking English Tea (what kind?), Tunnocks Tea cakes (is there anything similar in Germany?) Scottish shortbread, Terry's chocolate orange, (I don't believe orange flavour chocolate is much of a thing in Europe, correct me if I'm wrong?) Border's biscuits, like the chocolate ginger ones. Possibly mint aero? Any other ideas?
Old 6 Nov 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Sounds lovely, i’m not sure about what chocolate flavours etc they have in Germany, but my suggestions to add to your gift basket would be:
-A packet of shortbread fingers
-A carton of Quality Street
-A small Christmas Cake (or a packet of the iced Christmas cake fingers- have seen Mr Kipling and Taste The Difference options in Sainsbury’s).
Also if there are children within the receiving family, how about a couple of packs of Percy Pigs, or small Cadbury selection packs (about 99p).
I’m sure the family will be delighted with whatever you choose!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Husband works in Germany and most English chocolate is available. He can get Snickers and Bounty from the local shop.
German chocolate tends to be a lot nicer than ours
He moans because he can't get a vanilla latte! But that's not very British!
Definitely pack English tea.
Fruit tea isn't readily available.
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

He can only get Pringles and Pom bears. Are crisps an option to pack?
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Branston pickle, Worcestershire sauce, yorkshire tea , send for a bero recipe book then they can bake some British goodies themselves
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
Also if there are children within the receiving family, how about a couple of packs of Percy Pigs, or small Cadbury selection packs (about 99p).
I’m sure the family will be delighted with whatever you choose!
Percy Pigs are German, I didn't realise until my son's girlfriend told me (she's German).
Jaybeez is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Marmite, baked beans?
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Scones, Welsh cakes, Eccles cakes?
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Marmalde/jam
Dairy milk
English breakfast tea.
M&S percy pigs
Old 6 Nov 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I lived in Germany, I wouldnt bring chocolate, as European chocolate is a lot nicer than UK / Irish chocolate now that Kraft own Cadburys and have changed the recipes.

I would bring Walkers crisps, as we could only get cheese and onion crisps at Irish bars.

Heinz Baked Beans was very hard to get, again in Irish bars and I also found it in the world food section of a high end supermarket in Munich, but it was very expensive.

The same with sliced white bread for toasting, German bread is very different to what we have.

If you want to bring tea, just bring whatever brand you use, as normally its only Twinings that is sold outside of UK.

Branston pickle, Worcestershire sauce and Brown Sauce / YR Sauce, Bisto Gravy.

Iron Bru, Lucozade, Rubicon, Ribena,

Digestive biscuits, shortbread, Mr Kipling cakes and pies, fruit cake, mince pies, Birds custard, Birds Trifle , tinned spotted dick
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List