Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Nov 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

A/C 74 degrees min?!

I’ve just seen in the small print on our Villa contract that a/c is set to not go below 74 degrees. That seems a tad warm for me in August!
Never come across this before (or maybe I just never noticed?)
and I can’t ‘picture’ how 74 degrees feels but I’m pretty sure it’ll be too warm for me.
Not sure what to do now, I’d be very disappointed to have to cancel. Any thoughts?
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Chops
Getting Excited

I've had this in a few villas. In older units if the temperature difference is too high between the outside and inside the units can freeze and stop working. If it's a hundred degrees outside and you set these units too low they will fail. I've been in august and you're right 74 is on the warm side for sleeping at night.
Chops is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
I've had this in a few villas. In older units if the temperature difference is too high between the outside and inside the units can freeze and stop working. If it's a hundred degrees outside and you set these units too low they will fail. I've been in august and you're right 74 is on the warm side for sleeping at night.
Thanks, I don’t sleep well in the heat so seems like I’m going to have to start Villa searching again
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
74f is 23c which is too high for me to sleep comfortably. I can understand the reasons with ever increasing energy costs sadly
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Every villa we have had, has something along these lines to stop the unit freezing up.

But they have also had overhead fans which are not noisy and can be kept on all night

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Every villa we have had, has something along these lines to stop the unit freezing up.

But they have also had overhead fans which are not noisy and can be kept on all night
And did u find having the fans on kept it cooler? I feel fans only move air around but maybe I’m wrong.
Old 10 Nov 21, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

Remember relative to outside it will be significantly cooler so it will feel comfortable.

It feels strange if you look at the numbers as obviously 75F is a hot summer day over here but when it's in the 90s outside it feels pleasantly cool.
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by WDocW View Post
Remember relative to outside it will be significantly cooler so it will feel comfortable.

It feels strange if you look at the numbers as obviously 75F is a hot summer day over here but when it's in the 90s outside it feels pleasantly cool.
Absolutely spot on, you also need to remember that inside will also be less humid and feel a lot cooler than outside, the celling fans will also help to circulate the cool air around the room making it also feel cooler.

Having a set minimum temp on the AC is more about preventing freeze up's than saving on electricity costs and if the home has an older unit this can happen.

Mine is set at 72 as a minimum but I do have a newer AC unit installed.

Steve

Edited at 11:47 PM.
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 03:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I live somewhere tropical (basically Florida in summer) and my AC is currently set to 25 degrees Celsius which is 77 degrees Farenheit. Not sure if it is just what you are used to (since I am clearly used to hot weather!), 25ºC is pretty cool for me especially relative to the 30ºC/humidity outside!
Old 11 Nov 21, 04:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Ours goes to 72 but I find that freezing in the night if our ceiling fan is on
We usually have it set at 76 minimum as I’m cold with anything below that
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List