Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Nov 21, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

The 1st time we went was 2006 that was the only time we didnt use google maps, however we did have a map...
Wow the amount of Orlando we saw that year 😂🤣😂🤣, we wasnt lost we were just sight seeing 3hours to get from the airport to champions gate (mco) 🤦.

We have run google maps on line , great for traffic, and off line when worried about data plan and both have been super easy, 2018 we used it for the trip to the Keys and it was so handy.

Colin
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
If you just pre-download the maps on Google Maps and don't use data while you are there, you'll get the route plans but it won't take traffic into effect.
You'll need data turned on to get any traffic info, on Waze or Google Maps.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeysbuddy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We had a car with a built in SatNav when we travelled, but found it had me all over the place on the map.
Like it struggled slightly to pinpoint my location, which made getting over to the exits in time a nightmare.

Ended up using our phones for Google Maps and it worked so much better.

The next time we went, we got lucky enough to get a car with Car Play. Which made it so much easier.

The wife was with THREE for her phone so data wasn't an issue.
mickeysbuddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Kopite92
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

If you dont have inbuilt and no data, Here We Go is a great alternative, you can download state maps and very accurate, used multiple times and have also set to avoid toll roads etc with no issues on the navigation given
Kopite92 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I have data over there so use waze as I would here if driving without a live traffic satnav. Google maps is OK, but you need to bare in mind if using it in offline mode or using an app that has the maps saved you obviously aren't going to get routed based on traffic conditions.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I remember trying to use the Hertz sat nav system one year, think it was called Never Lost - we thought that was hilarious as it brought us on the most awkward routes around Kissimmee and Orlando as if trying to get us lost. We saw parts of the Disney property that I think no other tourist had seen before and brought us on a toll road to get from Disney to the Vineland Outlets.

On recent trips we’ve used Google Maps. Use it at home to am comfortable with it when abroad.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Let me blow your tiny minds with the revelation that we use a paper map

Have google maps for the trickier bits at the end of the journey when we're looking for a particular address, but nothing beats a paper map when planning destinations and travel days.

Rand McNally Florida folded map - the current one seems to have an orange tree on it and costs about a tenner.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Let me blow your tiny minds with the revelation that we use a paper map
I don't think like I've ever used a paper map anywhere. I wouldn't like to think how that would go
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
EatandPlay
Apprentice Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Google maps! It will always be up to date including immediate traffic issues. Chart your course while still on Wifi and Google maps should use very little if any data from then on.
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I use Waze, I find it better than Google Maps.
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List