Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

168 love letters

So mum and dad passed away many years ago but today I was given a trunk which belonged to them! It was in the loft of their home but as my brother moved into their home when they passed we didn’t clear the loft until now! Along the usual keepsakes was 168 love letters my dad wrote to my mum 😍 he was in the navy travelling the world whilst mum was home with my brother! I always knew he loved my mum so very much but Oh my word I can tell so much how he adored her and my brother by just reading a few lines! The way he speaks to them 😍 I would love to be able to read them but my dad was a very small writer and I’m going to struggle even though I have just got new glasses! From what I can tell it’s just about his travels but I would love to read them as it would be so interesting how he spent his days at sea and onshore! He has every single letter sealed with kisses right around the envelope seal it’s so sweet to see!
kc1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How wonderful finding them after so many years. It must be lovely to see your dads writing and reading just how much he loved his family. I do hope you can manage to read the letters, maybe with a magnifying glass.
It’s shame people nowadays don’t write letters. Can’t see people keeping a text for 50 years !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Can you take a photo of them on your phone and zoom in?
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

How truly wonderful is that ❤️
What a lovely lovely find for you
And special memories of your parents for you to keep 💕💕

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

How fantastic. Can you scan and save for posterity and then zoom to enlarge?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Wow what a wonderful find and so special for the memories of your mum and dad.

My mum's dad died in Greece in WW11. Her mum at that time was sent some pictures of his actual funeral. Very special to even have from then. Very tiny though and couldn't make out much.

I did my mum's family history a few years ago and blew the tiny pictures of her dad's burial up. It was amazing how much more of that moment was picked up increasing the image using technology available now.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh how lovely. Isn't it great that you managed to find them as somebody could of moved in and just thrown them away. ❤
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

That’s so lovely, such a wonderful find.
emmabanana is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. How lovely to have such a find. You tread a thin line on Ancestry from feeling how wonderful it is to find out such information and in your case love, to feeling you are prying in to private lives. I would cherish them and indeed read them.

To be honest I would spend weeks transcribing them and then contact a local bookbinder and have them created as a personal ‘book’ interspersed with photos. Not that expensive either.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

I have managed to read two! One was 6pages long the other was 10! Thanks for the tip about taking a picture and zooming in on my phone! I can seem to read most of what he’s written! Just seeing his writing is amazing! he calls mum by some nicknames which he always called me by 😍 I never knew till tonight! He’s currently in Cape Town and wrote I love you in African! They are then heading to Penang!
kc1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List