Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Nov 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

DH drives us 2-3 hours. I'm useless. He's used to with his job staying alert so feel happy with him doing it.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Actually I'm wondering if driving home in your own familiar car on familiar roads is any worse than getting into a strange car and driving on very unfamiliar roads in some cases for hours after being awake for over 16 hours.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Actually I'm wondering if driving home in your own familiar car on familiar roads is any worse than getting into a strange car and driving on very unfamiliar roads in some cases for hours after being awake for over 16 hours.
Sue, I have been thinking exactly that. Driving from MIA to MCO or TPA to MCO how is that any different, in fact as you say its worse!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I'd say if you know you can get a decent sleep on the plane then go for it. Personally I don't and would only consider driving home if it was a short journey. There is 7 of us next year and it works out cheaper to get a large taxi van than drive and park, and the train takes longer, and costs about a similar amount, let alone all the extra fun of changing trains etc with a load of luggage.

Otherwise I try and grab a lift off a family or friend if possible.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Our drive from LGW to home is about 3.5h and DH was nearly asleep in the car. I still sit here and wonder how we got home tbh. I wasn't any better either, was such a struggle to keep our eyes open, and with our two kids in the back...

I'm now looking at direct trains from Peterborough to LGW by Thameslink, really decent prices with a family network card for discount, and no changes/connections either from what i can make out . Failing the train, id probably look up private taxi firms that do this as their day job. Always ways around things xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Our drive home from Manchester is normally a couple of hours, DH seems happy to undertake this although he normally sleeps better than I do on the flight home! We usually have at least one stop for a strong cup of coffee and leg stretch for him, though.
Old 25 Nov 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by HenrysDad View Post
I have always driven, but the longest has been 3.5 hours from Manchester v 2 hours from Gatwick.
Always managed OK, but be prepared to admit defeat and stop for 40 winks in the services of you start to feel tired.
Actually made it to Glasgow from Manchester.
Stopped or I could have stopped involuntary.
Never Again.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 03:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Good point Sue, we usually fly PE Man to Atl to RSW where a pal picks us up. This trip flew UC and drove Mia to Bokeelia with no tiredness. Our experiences circa 15 years ago followed very uncomfortable night flights shoe horned in economy, the drives home were wicked, we weren't safe to ourselves or others.
Old 26 Nov 21, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sue/ChrisS
Having sometimes been on the go nearly 24 hours to get to the villa the drive is easy
But on the way home if we fly from Manchester the drive back to Glasgow can be a killer as it hits rush hour traffic nearly all the way depending on flight times
Yes we’ve done it but now we wouldn’t even think about it and stay over or at least a day room but we have the luxury of retirement
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Sue, I have been thinking exactly that. Driving from MIA to MCO or TPA to MCO how is that any different, in fact as you say its worse!
It’s not an overnight flight to Florida. But I wouldn’t drive from Miami. It’s easy enough to sleep in Miami and drive up the following day.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List