Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 4 Jul 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

finally got round to trying my new 10mm thick pizza steel on the kamado. reasonable results...

firstly, i didnt put nearly enough charcoal in to begin with, even using a chimney starter, after 25 mins of the lid closed with hot coals, i was only getting temps of around 250 degrees. i needed 400+

so i awkwardly added more coals by pushing them through the gap. another 20 mins and i was up to 407 on the steel, with a ~450 reading on the dome thermometer (not nearly as accurate as my IR themometer) and cooked the pizzas

the other thing i need to work out how to do is to get a heat source directly above the steel to radiate heat downwards to brown the toppings a lot faster. at the moment the dome is radiating the heat, so it is cooking a lot slower. i had a crispy crust, but slightly pale toppings. if i'd waited for the toppings to brown to a level i wanted, the base would have been burned.

so the plan is to maybe get a smaller steel to somehow mount a few inches above the main one creating a 2-3" slot where the pizzas will go. i just need to figger it oot...

got the other half of the dough doing a cold ferment in the fridge, so will be doing some more probably on friday evening assuming its nice!

if i were to buy a pizza steel again, 10mm is just too thick so i'd go with 5-6mm. however, heat retention is very good. it stayed at a constant 400-450 for three cooks (about an hour) with me opening the lid multiple times (which makes it lose a fair amount of heat in the dome. its one massive vicious circle!

*edit*
i also need to buy a second pizza peel. one isn't enough! i need one to get the pizza off the grill, and one in the kitchen to transfer an uncooked pizza out to the garden. with only one peel, i have to wait for one to cook, then remove it onto a plate before i can start making the second pizza (if it stays on the peel for more than a minute or so, you are increasing the chances of it sticking and getting all messed up)

Edited at 10:24 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Both my kids work at Papa Johns at a Haven camp. If I go anywhere near pizza dough I'm shouted at 😆DD has worked there 3 summers running and she's very good at slapping dough with the full throwing in the air thing! Funnily enough pizza is now my least favourite food as we are pizza'd out 😜

Edited at 11:05 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, second attempt. this time i used a load more coal... i tipped half a bag of lumpwood on there this time rather than about a quarter, and got it to the 550+ mark

the base came out perfectly! browned and crispy with a soft, chewy crust

so yeah, i could still do with some way of increasing the radiated heat onto the top of the pizza, and i definitely need a second peel

next test will be a pizza party, where i cook as many as possible in a short timeframe. i guess i need to organise some friends to come round or something
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Does your grill work as a regular barbecue as well?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Does your grill work as a regular barbecue as well?
yeah, its a kamado oven. basically a big, heavy ceramic barbecue. just that with the lid closed you can regulate the temperature and keep things cooking for hours (or even overnight)

the posh brand/better known version of it is the big green egg or kamado joe. mine is a much cheaper brand from costco a couple of years ago. all being well, i'll still be grilling on it in 20 years time

Edited at 11:01 AM.
Old 8 Jul 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok, second attempt. this time i used a load more coal... i tipped half a bag of lumpwood on there this time rather than about a quarter, and got it to the 550+ mark

the base came out perfectly! browned and crispy with a soft, chewy crust

so yeah, i could still do with some way of increasing the radiated heat onto the top of the pizza, and i definitely need a second peel

next test will be a pizza party, where i cook as many as possible in a short timeframe. i guess i need to organise some friends to come round or something
Do you deliver 🍕🍕🍕
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

bumping this to just add a couple of minor recipe updates... first off, i now use passata instead of chopped tomatoes, reduce it down in a frying pan to a more puree-like consistency - if you make a hole in the sauce in the pan with your spatula, and it doesnt all run back to fill the hole immediately, you have the right consistency!

i also found the bicarb of soda thing to make it taste weird, so i stopped using that (and rarely use carrot too, as its time consuming to grate it)

finally, brushing the crust with some good olive oil, and a light sprinkling of course salt. i think i nicked that idea off wolfgang puck, but i cant find the video (possibly from the pizza show on viceland) - it really makes it look loads better, as well as taste great!

in case you want to watch the pizza show, have a look here: video.vice/en_uk/show/pizza-show

*edit*
it mightve been his appearance on "ugly delicious" on netflix where he cooks with dave chang. again, something else worth watching if you love pizza!

Edited at 03:30 PM.
Old 25 Mar 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so i got a new fancy oven the other week from a friend who was having a whole new kitchen fitted. so now i can do pizzas in the oven without half of the hassle (no need to rotate halfway through anymore as its a fan oven)

since i made the first post/tutorial, i've started brushing the crust at the end of cooking. i have a jam jar full of olive oil, garlic puree and parsley that i give a good shake, then brush on with a little silicone brusk. i then lightly dust with course sea salt afterwards. the crusts are as goof (if not better) than the rest of the pizza now! no more leftover crusts! (tip, use the leftover base sauce as a dip!)

Old 11 May 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so one of our local pizza places started doing kits with an instruction video how to make it with a frying pan and a grill

(this isnt their video, but its another place doing the same thing)

so i had to try it. and its a game changer!

first off, i made a sligthly modified version of my dough (1kg flour, 600ml liquid, see previous page) where i replaced most of the water for cooking lager (i had peroni to hand, but carling, budweiser, whatever you have spare is fone) and a good glug (150ml?) of PICKLE JUICE!

i got these ideas from ATK's 1hr pizza dough recipe.

so, after 24 hours cold ferment in the fridge, i portioned it all into balls and made a couple. my modified version of the video is to put it in the pan cold, crank the hob up, then empty it onto the pizza steel in the oven. but if you dont have a baking stone/steel/whatever, just keep it in the pan.

before you start, get your pizza stone in the grill. as high as you can get away without getting your pan stuck. if it doubles as an oven, crank it up to full for 30 mins or so, then when you are about to make the pizzas, switch it to grill on full. if its like my oven, that steel sheet will be up to 700f by the time youre done!

sprinkle some semolina on the bottom of the pan

drop in your stretched dough and top it off. crank the gar up to full. cook for a couple of minutes, then when the base is starting to brown, slide it out the pan with a spatula and onto a pizza peel, then onto the oven. (or put the pan straight in the oven) and repeat

turn halfway through to make sure it is browning evenly. remove and put on a wire rack to cool for ~5 mins, brush the crust with garlic oil (and a sprinkle of sea salt), then slice and serve.

Old 11 May 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post

I love your pizza photos, they always look so delicious.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List