Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 28 May 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Cali grill didn't live up to your expectations. Have you tried out the brunch? We loved that...this year we are going for dinner and as luck would have it we have a reservation for 7.35pm! I'll report back on whether this was a good time for getting to see HEA.

That pizza is great cold for breakfast, I'm betting that's what happened to the rest of it!
I think you'll be alright with 7.35 hopefully! It was probably my fault for making assumptions about the time taken. I'm sure the food would have tasted better if I hadn't been wound up about the drinks taking so long and things like that. Never tried brunch, I'm tempted but feel like I'd just over eat and write off the rest of the day with a food coma!

Lol that is definitley what happened to the pizza! Except I turned the fridge down too low so it ended up frozen when DH tried to eat it. He ended up putting it in a zip lock bag and attacking it with the hairdryer 😂

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Thanks for the yak and yeti review even more excited to try it now! 😊 such a shame about your cali grill experience- only been once for dinner back in 2010 but was nothing special then I must say. Enjoy spending those snack credits!
I hear such differing things about the Cali Grill, the only thing consistent is that it's inconsistent! Yak and Yeti was better or at least on par with food quality.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Thanks for filling me in on the sandals, if they are not available in the UK that is a good thing, as I shouldn’t be spending any more money so we’ll just have to wait until I get to the States before I take the plunge!

I loved the meat in the bowls at Satuli, drooling over your pictures from there.

Yak & Yeti looks fab, your dessert looks lovely. We weren’t blown away by the wontons either, but I always think they look gorgeous. I have a Landry Card and I hate when the manager comes over to chat, I am trying to eat, I don’t want you wittering away at me.

Pancakes at Riverside look great, I’m gong to make a point of visiting from FQ when we are there next year. I love their omelettes, I lost count of the number of times we had them when we stayed there.

The jerk chicken dish at Typhoon Lagoon looks really good, I had a chuckle to myself at the idea of you panicking and then ending up with a hot dog.

I hate the elevator ride to California Grill; it makes me feel so awkward and self-conscious even though it only takes a second. What a shame you got a rubbish view, as silly as it is, I really think that impacts on your experience. Both dishes look and sound gorgeous, it is a pity DH’s was disappointing. So sad that CG let you down, it’s never nice when you have looked forward to something for so long.
I know, it was partly my own fault for building up the Cali Grill so much in my head! I thought it would be something really special in terms of food and service and it only really reached 'good. I'm glad we tried it though.

The elevator ride really is awkward! Why not just let us go up by ourselves. That guy must spend the whole day doing the same 45 second conversation- where are you from, are you having a good day, have you been here before, okay bye!

The pineapple upside down cake at Yak and Yeti was so good, definitely get that if you go again! I'm not a fruity dessert kind of person but it was really nice. I would hate the manager coming over too! Leave me alone to eat lol. I even hate it when the waiter does a simple check back as I usually have my mouth stuffed full.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Yak and Yeti looks great! I’m looking forward to going back in October, we will probably pay oop as we’ve got an extra TS meal booked than we have credits for, plus $25 on our laundry’s card. We’ve booked an adr so probably won’t mention the card until payment as I agree it is a little awkward when they come and ask how the meals going. 😂

Unfortunately we had a similar experience with timing at CG back in 2016, we waited over an hour for our mains, luckily our adr was at 7.25! Even then we went out to watch the fireworks in between courses. On the upside the Ramen I had was amazing but unfortunately they have taken it of the menu now, so not fussed on going back at the mo, maybe next year?

Can’t wait to try Homecomin’ it looks amazing! 😃

Kat
Hmm definitely not just us with issues at the CG then, and I've heard it from others too. It's a shame they can't get things right at what's supposed to be a flagship restaurant for Disney.

I did see a ramen on the menu but maybe it's a different one? I only remember as DH considered ordering it.

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Thank you for sharing so far.
I love Yak and Yeti. I had the lobster garlic noodles this time and omg they were amazing. We have a Landry’s card but luckily the manager only came over once at the end. I think I do give off an obvious air of not wanting to talk though
I’m definitely getting the mac and cheese on our next visit to Homecomin’ now. The percentage of cheese sounds perfect to me!
Hah I think I could also perfect that air of someone who doesn't want to be bothered and chatted to!
The lobster garlic noodles was my second choice, I only went for the ribs as I'd had noodles already that day. I adore lobster so now I feel like I've missed out! Although I did eat it twice later in the holiday so I'm not exactley lobster deprived lol.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Never tried brunch, I'm tempted but feel like I'd just over eat and write off the rest of the day with a food coma!
that's exactly what happened. But fortunately i had planned a non park day!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh what a shame about Cali Grill. It probably remains my favourite restaurant at Disney, I can’t get it for my next trip though. I cannot believe your DH had a pizza before CG dinner.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Oh what a shame about Cali Grill. It probably remains my favourite restaurant at Disney, I can’t get it for my next trip though. I cannot believe your DH had a pizza before CG dinner.
Oh that's totally normal for DH, he eats like 5 meals a day lol. He is super duper active though, if I did that I'd look like the back side of a bus!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
that's exactly what happened. But fortunately i had planned a non park day!
Maybe a better idea than going straight on Tower of Terror afterwards... bleurgh!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Having a binge read of your days so far, it all looks yummy! The V-room looks good, I liked your sprinkles on the pancakes, I’m more a fan of ice cream dipped in sprinkles but I’m willing to give it a go on the pancakes. I also think I need to give Nando’s another try, your food report is the second one I’ve read lately that has included Nando’s and the food looked nice on both...I obviously didn’t pick well on my one and only visit
POR is such a beautiful resort, I’m pleased the Riverside Pizza was such a hit We really loved them but I have to say I was rather partial to the Flatbreads
Homecoming looks lush, it’s definitely on our to do list. Its a shame you didn’t have the best meal at CG, sometimes the ones you expect to be good leave you the most disappointed.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Having a binge read of your days so far, it all looks yummy! The V-room looks good, I liked your sprinkles on the pancakes, I’m more a fan of ice cream dipped in sprinkles but I’m willing to give it a go on the pancakes. I also think I need to give Nando’s another try, your food report is the second one I’ve read lately that has included Nando’s and the food looked nice on both...I obviously didn’t pick well on my one and only visit
POR is such a beautiful resort, I’m pleased the Riverside Pizza was such a hit We really loved them but I have to say I was rather partial to the Flatbreads
Homecoming looks lush, it’s definitely on our to do list. Its a shame you didn’t have the best meal at CG, sometimes the ones you expect to be good leave you the most disappointed.
We never tried a Riverside flatbread, now I'm feeling like I missed out!

CG was indeed dissapointing- I mean overall it was a nice evening, but the price tag soured the experience considering it wasn't top notch as you'd expect.
Old 30 May 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Day 7- Epcot

Breakast was cereal for me and left over Riverside pizza for DH, unfortunatley I'd turned the fridge down super cold to cool some drinks and it had frozen the pizza! So he ended up putting it in a ziplock bag and attacking it with a hairdryer lol.

We loved Epcot! I know it's not top notch ride wise, but its so pretty and fun to walk around. However it was boiling hot today so we only made it until around 2pm. We hit Soarin' on opening, and after a quick chat with a lovely cast member from Leicester asked to sit in row B1 for the best experience, they were fine with this and we didn't even have to wait any extra time.

We also did Test Track which DH loved designing the car for, he worked for the automotive industry for several years so took this very seriously! We won, yay. I didn't realise quite how good the actual ride would be as well! The photo ops after the ride are really fun too. After that we did Figment because we wanted to experience what someone on acid would see, and then I think that was it ride-wise for that day.

We had a great time tasting all the soda in the Coke store

The consensus was the Inca Cola was the best. The beverley was ewww. Think they are missing a trick here by not selling a tasting pack of mini cans to take away- DH really wanted to take some back for everyone in the office to try!

Lunch was snacking round the world showcase at the flower and garden photo boots, or as I'm calling it...

Snack-a-geddon

First up, from the Citrus Blossom

Lobster Tail with Meyer Lemon Emulsion and Grilled Lemon (GF) – $8.00

Had this without the lemon sauce as we asked and it was mayo based. Not the best lobster but what do you expect for $8? Nice if a bit rubbery.

Tuna Tataki with Spicy Yuzu Glaze, Mango, Avocado and Pappadam Crisp – $6.25

DH really liked this, he loves tuna

La Isla Fresca

Jamaican-braised Beef with Pigeon Pea Rice and Micro Cilantro — $6.00

Oh dear, this wasn't good at all. The beef was tough and the sauce was grainy and didn't taste nice. The rice was okay.

Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut-Lime Sauce — $7.00

I love shrimp but couldn't love this, I think it was the sauce I didn't like. Coconut-lime is right up my street so it must have been mayo based, but even DH wasn't keen.

Pineapple Promenade

Pineapple Soft-Serve – $5.25

I thought this would be dole whip but it was more a sorbet than an ice cream? It was super refreshing though.

Lotus House

Szechuan Spicy Red-braised Beef Shank over Rice — $8.00

This was the best thing we got, really large and the beef fell apart. The sauce was spicy but not OTT.

The Smokehouse

Beef Brisket Burnt Ends and Smoked Pork Belly Slider with Garlic Sausage, Chorizo, Cheddar Fondue and House-made Pickle – $7.50

Nice but messy!

Hanami

Chilled Soba Noodle Salad with Pan-seared Tuna and Wasabi Dressing – $6.50

DH said the tuna on the other dish was better, but he liked the noodles a lot

Ice cream place in France

I had a coconut white chocolate and DH had a cinnamon apple crumble flavour

These were amazing and so needed to cool down.

If you're thinking thats a lot of food, this was spread over 2-3 hours!

We also bought some fruit cup things in the Japan shop. These were $3.29, didn't ask if we could use a snack credit but maybe you can? He'd already had a couple by the time I took this. To me they just taste like jelly, but he was super excited to find them as he used to have them as a kid in Taiwan.

10 snack credits used!

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Old 31 May 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Teppan Edo

Dinner was at Teppan Edo which was booked for 7.30pm, and as it was roasting hot in Epcot we went back to the hotel for a mid afternoon swim. Apparantley all those snacks weren't enough for me as I ended up buying a Magic Cookie Bar from the Riverside Mill for a snack credit.

I must have decided I wasn't hungry after all as I only had a couple of bites and ended up eating it for breakfast the next day. Tasty but a little bit too nutty for me.

We got back to Epcot at 7pm and decided we had time to meet Anna and Elsa as it was only showing a 15 minute wait. This ended up being 25! It was worth it though as Anna was absolutley hilarious, she asked us how long we'd been married and gave us a 'Mr and Mrs' style quiz because 'you shouldn't marry someone you just met!'
When she asked me what colour DH's eyes were and I said 'Brown' she said 'I would also have accepted dreamy'

Anyway this resulted in a dash allllll the way across the world showcase from Norway to Japan and we got to Teppan Edo 10 minutes late. And then ended up queued for another 5 behind a family that wouldn't accept that couldn't dine now with an 8.40 reservation! Grrr. I was stressed about getting there late but it was fine in the end, and we ended up waiting another 15 minutes or so to be seated. This killed my plan of watching Illuminations after the meal.

At Teppan Edo you choose your meat- so chicken, shrimp, steak or a combination of the above, and you also get salad, noodles, rice and veg.

I ordered a Japan Breeze cocktail to drink- coconut rum poured over ice with tart cranberry and pineapple juices

DH had a pina colada

It was pretty funny because out of our table of 7 everyone ordered either a Japan Breeze or Pina Colada, despite the fact there's a large drinks menu! At Teppan Edo you are sat round the grill table with other people- a lot of people don't enjoy this sharing style and I'm not a massive fan either, but I can cope with it for a meal. Sometimes everyone keeps to themselves and sometimes people want to chat.

We shared with an English family of 3 and a couple from New Jersey. We knew they were from New Jersey because despite the fact they didn't say a word to us or even each other the whole meal they told the chef (he said he'd never been as he heard it was a dump which was hilarious). They were awkward, difficult and rude with the servers. They kept going on and on asking how everything was seasoned, how much it was seasoned, what seasoning is used- dragging various chefs and managers over to the table. When the steak was being cooked the woman said 'that must be mine because he put more seasoning on' and then the chef just chopped it all up and mixed it together with the rest... you should have seen her face lol.
I don't know if they were on the DDxp or just wasteful but on top of the main meal they ordered starters, extra lobster tails, extra scallops and many drinks and then didn't touch the vast majority of their food, sitting there with faces like a slapped **** the whole time not saying a word to each other. Fun!

After they finished desserts they left the table as soon as possible, and we ended up having a hilarious conversation with our English table mates about how odd and rude they had been. And for the rest of the holiday we kept asking each other how much seasoning was on everything and if it was enough seasoning So if it sounds like a nightmare dinner actually it was just funny in the end.

The first course is salad- normally I have no time or stomach space for salad, but actually it was in a really nice asian dressing

You are given two sauces, one peanut and one 'yum yum' sauce. I didn't use either, the peanut was too overpowering to me and the yum yum I'm fairly sure is mayo based.

The noodles were nice

The rice is plain white rice they bring from the kitchen. I'm fine with this as normally at Teppanyaki I have to be that awkward person asking for plain rice instead of egg fried as I don't eat egg.

Sorry that the pictures of the meat won't be that great! I chose shrimp and chicken

Dh had the filet mignon

We both agreed the shrimp was the nicest, I wish I'd just got all shrimp!

Seeing as I'd already had two ice creams I decided to skip dessert, DH had the green tea mousse cake

I did have a bite and it was light and delicious

Overall an 7/10 for Teppan Edo, we liked the food but I've had better Teppanyaki before. Our chef was fine but not the most funny or interactive, other tables seemed to be getting a bit more. I'm kind of okay with that though as I'm there for the food really.

We ended up coming out at 9.40pm so missed Illuminations by a long way, which was dissapointing as this was our last night onsite at Disney. However the whole park felt empty at this time which was kind of cool! Epcot is so pretty at night

11 snacks used, 2 TS used
4 snacks remaining, 0TS remaining, 0QS remaining

Next up: Disney Springs, moving offsite to the Rosen Plaza on IDrive, Bahama Breeze
Old 31 May 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post

What a strange couple at Teppan Edo. Yesterday DH and I decided to change our Teppan Edo to Tokyo Dining as we think the menu is better. I was just curious to try Teppan Edo as we have never been.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Teppan Edo

Dinner was at Teppan Edo which was booked for 7.30pm, and as it was roasting hot in Epcot we went back to the hotel for a mid afternoon swim. Apparantley all those snacks weren't enough for me as I ended up buying a Magic Cookie Bar from the Riverside Mill for a snack credit.

I must have decided I wasn't hungry after all as I only had a couple of bites and ended up eating it for breakfast the next day. Tasty but a little bit too nutty for me.

We got back to Epcot at 7pm and decided we had time to meet Anna and Elsa as it was only showing a 15 minute wait. This ended up being 25! It was worth it though as Anna was absolutley hilarious, she asked us how long we'd been married and gave us a 'Mr and Mrs' style quiz because 'you shouldn't marry someone you just met!'
When she asked me what colour DH's eyes were and I said 'Brown' she said 'I would also have accepted dreamy'

Anyway this resulted in a dash allllll the way across the world showcase from Norway to Japan and we got to Teppan Edo 10 minutes late. And then ended up queued for another 5 behind a family that wouldn't accept that couldn't dine now with an 8.40 reservation! Grrr. I was stressed about getting there late but it was fine in the end, and we ended up waiting another 15 minutes or so to be seated. This killed my plan of watching Illuminations after the meal.

At Teppan Edo you choose your meat- so chicken, shrimp, steak or a combination of the above, and you also get salad, noodles, rice and veg.

I ordered a Japan Breeze cocktail to drink- coconut rum poured over ice with tart cranberry and pineapple juices

DH had a pina colada

It was pretty funny because out of our table of 7 everyone ordered either a Japan Breeze or Pina Colada, despite the fact there's a large drinks menu! At Teppan Edo you are sat round the grill table with other people- a lot of people don't enjoy this sharing style and I'm not a massive fan either, but I can cope with it for a meal. Sometimes everyone keeps to themselves and sometimes people want to chat.

We shared with an English family of 3 and a couple from New Jersey. We knew they were from New Jersey because despite the fact they didn't say a word to us or even each other the whole meal they told the chef (he said he'd never been as he heard it was a dump which was hilarious). They were awkward, difficult and rude with the servers. They kept going on and on asking how everything was seasoned, how much it was seasoned, what seasoning is used- dragging various chefs and managers over to the table. When the steak was being cooked the woman said 'that must be mine because he put more seasoning on' and then the chef just chopped it all up and mixed it together with the rest... you should have seen her face lol.
I don't know if they were on the DDxp or just wasteful but on top of the main meal they ordered starters, extra lobster tails, extra scallops and many drinks and then didn't touch the vast majority of their food, sitting there with faces like a slapped **** the whole time not saying a word to each other. Fun!

After they finished desserts they left the table as soon as possible, and we ended up having a hilarious conversation with our English table mates about how odd and rude they had been. And for the rest of the holiday we kept asking each other how much seasoning was on everything and if it was enough seasoning So if it sounds like a nightmare dinner actually it was just funny in the end.

The first course is salad- normally I have no time or stomach space for salad, but actually it was in a really nice asian dressing

You are given two sauces, one peanut and one 'yum yum' sauce. I didn't use either, the peanut was too overpowering to me and the yum yum I'm fairly sure is mayo based.

The noodles were nice

The rice is plain white rice they bring from the kitchen. I'm fine with this as normally at Teppanyaki I have to be that awkward person asking for plain rice instead of egg fried as I don't eat egg.

Sorry that the pictures of the meat won't be that great! I chose shrimp and chicken

Dh had the filet mignon

We both agreed the shrimp was the nicest, I wish I'd just got all shrimp!

Seeing as I'd already had two ice creams I decided to skip dessert, DH had the green tea mousse cake

I did have a bite and it was light and delicious

Overall an 7/10 for Teppan Edo, we liked the food but I've had better Teppanyaki before. Our chef was fine but not the most funny or interactive, other tables seemed to be getting a bit more. I'm kind of okay with that though as I'm there for the food really.

We ended up coming out at 9.40pm so missed Illuminations by a long way, which was dissapointing as this was our last night onsite at Disney. However the whole park felt empty at this time which was kind of cool! Epcot is so pretty at night

11 snacks used, 2 TS used
4 snacks remaining, 0TS remaining, 0QS remaining

Next up: Disney Springs, moving offsite to the Rosen Plaza on IDrive, Bahama Breeze
I am probably just confused, but I swear I’ve read another recent review somewhere describing exactly the same couple you described and this situation!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List