Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Tix
Unread 10 Oct 19, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Excited about Disney

Hubby's just bought a Renault clio, we are in Wales and when we took it for a test drive the sales lad said it's good for going up hills😁, it's a 1.5, but surprisingly nippy.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
2nd Celebrity Cruise
Unread 10 Oct 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I have a VW up - got me through several winters - solid car which for me holds the road well with a good bit of nip when needed - Im a community nurse and its not let me down

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A little get away
Unread 10 Oct 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would go for an Audi A1 or a VW Polo I think.

Though I have a friend just bought an outgoing BMW 116D - only a couple of miles on the clock as it was BMW registered - got 12K off basic model RRP. Plus it had a number of extras so more like 13K off.
They are trying to get rd of them so might be worth checking your local BMW place if this would be of interest. This was last month.
While it isn't for me, it is the best value car I seen, probably ever.

Edited at 09:47 AM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I'm on my second polo, I downgraded from my bmw when DD passed her test and couldn't get insurance for her. I don't do a lot of driving, mostly about town but as said it has a solid build but is nippy and comfortable and fuel efficient. I got the 1.0 and yes the turbo engine does make a difference and don't have to pay road tax either
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I'd recommend an Ibiza or a Leon, basically a VW/Audi for much less dough.
I have a Leon and love it
Unread 10 Oct 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

If hills are a 'problem' then a turbo charged car will keep the pace, which brings you back to the Ford EcoBoost engines. The 1.0 turbos are really very perky and swift. A bit generic, but gives you plenty of scope to find a decent one.
Two things to mention, be careful looking at this bracket of car as they are town cars and possibly driven up kerbs, in to bollards and generally abused! Low mileage is not always a good thing on a car that's only gone to Tesco and back, don't be put off by mileage. It's better to have a car that has been warmed up and used rather than a 2 mile journey each time.
Also, if you do look at the EcoBoost Fiesta, check that the coolant pipe has been replaced under warranty - if I recall correctly cars around the 2015 vintage had issues where a coolant pipe running above the exhaust goes brittle and can leak / fail (Google it for sanity) but don't let that put you off as they are cracking little cars.
If you do the mileage a diesel might be worth a look i.e. turbo diesel for the extra oomph for your hills.

Edited at 01:18 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Florida honeymoon time
Unread 10 Oct 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I'd recommend an Ibiza or a Leon, basically a VW/Audi for much less dough.
I have a Leon and love it
That's what my dad told us when we bought our first car- buy a Seat or a Skoda, its a VW with a different shell on top! We love our turbo Leon, DH calls it a 'warm hatch' like it's almost a hot hatch haha.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Unread 10 Oct 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairelovestate
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Have you thought about a 5 door smart car? Im not sure what engine size they come in though. My mil loves her one and its smaller than most small cars.
Clairelovestate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disneyland Paris!
Attraction Tickets Direct