Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 May 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Virgin Upper Class or Premium Economy with a 10 month old?

Hi everyone,

We have previously only ever travelled in Virgin economy, not having had a good reason to upgrade.

However we will have a 10 month old for our next trip in April 2020. Sale prices based on previous years have been around £800/£900 each for premium economy and £1300/£1400 for upper class. Economy would be around £400.

Which would be easier with a baby? I want the trip to be as stress free as possible. We have a decent budget in mind for the whole trip, but while we could afford upper class (as a one off, once in a lifetime bucket list opportunity) it isn't a 'money is no object' kind of holiday.

I think we would only go upper once in our lives (too much to justify more than once) so this would be a great way to tick off one of my bucket list activities before we have to start paying for children, on the other hand I dont want to pay so much more and be left feeling it was a waste of money.

Sorry for the rambling post! Any advice would be welcome
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Only a small point maybe but there are no sky cots in the current LGW/MAN Upper Class cabins.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We usually fly PE but have done upper with our children also.

My youngest was 3 when we last flew upper so I have no experience of that cabin with a baby. The first time we flew PE with her she was 13 months old.

The seat configuration in Upper is different to the main cabins as I’m sure you are aware. Whoever has baby will be on your own, whereas in PE you can both occupy your little one as you are next to each other without a division which is a consideration.

For me Upper is a much better product than PE, and at those prices for Upper I would snap them up!

WDW: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x2, 2017, 2018, 2019 x 2

DCL: Disney Dream 2017, Disney Fantasy 2019
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Thank you for the replies.

My husband is thinking along the lines of all that money for an 8 hour flight doesn't seem worth it, either premium or upper. Whereas I am very carefree with money and tend to think we work hard lets treat ourselves!
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Are there any Sky cots in PE? Although at 10 months probably too heavy for sky cot anyway. If you did want one, then you would get the bulk head. If it were me, I would not want to take a baby in UC just in case they caused a fuss and also, if I could fly first class I would want to relax and enjoy and not sure I would with a baby, but that’s maybe just me. premium may be better or economy delight?
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’re taking our 7 month old in March and we’re flying upper! Even if no sky cot I think there will be plenty of space to have her on one of our laps.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Can’t comment about which I’d take a baby on, but my daughter at that age fit in a sky cot, but would not relax/lie down/sleep in it!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
inkiboo
Earning More Ears

We flew with a 9 month old in UC and it was great because we set her up to sleep and then sat at the bar. She got a good four hours sleep and it was magic.
inkiboo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Personally I would book 3 economy seats. It’s a good compromise with the husband. The armrests can go up between all 3 seats if she ends up sprawled across your laps or the seats. Premium economy is nice but the fixed armrest can make it awkward if you have a little wriggly person who wants to lie on top of you. We recently flew upper for the very first time. I’m glad I waited till my boys were 13 and 16. I savoured every moment all to myself! 😁
By the way sky cots are tiny. Too small for a 10 month old I’d say. They’re also not guaranteed I wouldn’t even consider that as an option personally.

Edited at 11:52 PM.
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by I love walmart View Post
Personally I would book 3 economy seats. It’s a good compromise with the husband. The armrests can go up between all 3 seats if she ends up sprawled across your laps or the seats. Premium economy is nice but the fixed armrest can make it awkward if you have a little wriggly person who wants to lie on top of you. We recently flew upper for the very first time. I’m glad I waited till my boys were 13 and 16. I savoured every moment all to myself! 😁
By the way sky cots are tiny. Too small for a 10 month old I’d say. They’re also not guaranteed I wouldn’t even consider that as an option personally.
This is what I’d do too. Having the ability to put the arm rest up so the can stretch out was a deciding factor for us.
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List