Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 May 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Family areas in & around San Diego...

We would like to end our road trip in & around San Diego, ideally in a beach location, but i'm unsure of areas to look at that would work. We would be a family of 4, with 2 teens, 16 & 14, so 2 bed accommodation would be what we're looking at. Is being inland a little better than the coast? I have no idea!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Overlooking the marina - Humphries Half moon inn and suites

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
Overlooking the marina - Humphries Half moon inn and suites
I’ve looked at this before, but I can’t see that they do 2 bedroom suites. We would need a separate bedroom for the kids.

NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Have you considered air bnb or home away.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Have you considered air bnb or home away.
Yes, have been looking, but literally have no idea on the beat locations! We basically want a base to explore San Diego and the surrounding area, happy to be further out and drive etc!

Old 3 May 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We got an Airbnb at Mission Beach a couple of years back during an Easter vacation.

Whilst we found San Diego a place of beauty and I would recommend it to anybody, an absolute highlight of our N to South California, we had a few issues with Mission Beach that would deter me from staying in that area.

1. The area was absolutely teeming with often drunk 18-20 year olds as it would seem that MB is a very big draw for Easter with groups of youngsters on vacation together.

2. Food consisted of Dogs, Burgers, cheap pizza’s and Beer... lots of beer. Think Newquay, but on a single, long street. It was very different to the rest of SD we saw, which is classy.

Whilst we encountered no problems of antisocial behaviour and never felt threatened, it was loud, raucous and pitched at people other than us. It was not great fun for a family of 2 plus boys of 15 and 11. I must add that there are fantastic, high end houses on both the Oceanside and inland side of the peninsula that consists of Mission Beach. The problem is the single road up the middle and the fun park at the end.

The Oracle on SD is ‘Aims’, who has inexhaustible knowledge on the subject and is always willing to advise. In the unlikely event that she does not pick up on this thread, you will find her sticky on the top of the California planning section and it may be worth a private message.

You will find SD as part of the trip report in our signature. When we return, we will be looking close to the Seaport area and USS Midway.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:56 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We got an Airbnb at Mission Beach a couple of years back during an Easter vacation.

Whilst we found San Diego a place of beauty and I would recommend it to anybody, an absolute highlight of our N to South California, we had a few issues with Mission Beach that would deter me from staying in that area.

1. The area was absolutely teeming with often drunk 18-20 year olds as it would seem that MB is a very big draw for Easter with groups of youngsters on vacation together.

2. Food consisted of Dogs, Burgers, cheap pizza’s and Beer... lots of beer. Think Newquay, but on a single, long street. It was very different to the rest of SD we saw, which is classy.

Whilst we encountered no problems of antisocial behaviour and never felt threatened, it was loud, raucous and pitched at people other than us. It was not great fun for a family of 2 plus boys of 15 and 11. I must add that there are fantastic, high end houses on both the Oceanside and inland side of the peninsula that consists of Mission Beach. The problem is the single road up the middle and the fun park at the end.

The Oracle on SD is ‘Aims’, who has inexhaustible knowledge on the subject and is always willing to advise. In the unlikely event that she does not pick up on this thread, you will find her sticky on the top of the California planning section and it may be worth a private message.

You will find SD as part of the trip report in our signature. When we return, we will be looking close to the Seaport area and USS Midway.
Thanks for this, CFB. I was looking at the Oceanside area, so could drive in to San Diego when we want as we want a longer period of time in the area, as there is so much to do, also some beach time. Trouble is, we would need 2 bedrooms, and ideally some outside space, so takes a bit more planning to get the right accommodation, and then throw the location into the mix. I will give Aims a message!

Old 4 May 20, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Thanks for this, CFB. I was looking at the Oceanside area, so could drive in to San Diego when we want as we want a longer period of time in the area, as there is so much to do, also some beach time. Trouble is, we would need 2 bedrooms, and ideally some outside space, so takes a bit more planning to get the right accommodation, and then throw the location into the mix. I will give Aims a message!
Hi Rachel, if you’re thinking of Oceanside I can highly recommend North Coast Village Apartment’s. You get much more for your money than in San Diego, it has a large pool and best of all its on the beach! I can send you the details of the apartment we stayed in as well as the one my SIL and family stayed in if you like? There’s was far nice than ours as it was overlooking the beach whereas ours whilst lovely overlooked the gardens

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hi Rachel, if you’re thinking of Oceanside I can highly recommend North Coast Village Apartment’s. You get much more for your money than in San Diego, it has a large pool and best of all its on the beach! I can send you the details of the apartment we stayed in as well as the one my SIL and family stayed in if you like? There’s was far nice than ours as it was overlooking the beach whereas ours whilst lovely overlooked the gardens
Hi Alicia, that would be great thank you! Am I right in thinking that you got the train down to SD? Or is that another trippy I've read? If you could DM me the details, I would appreciate it...I might have some questions too, haha :-)

Old 5 May 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi, I live in the San Diego area and I see that you have already had some good tips about Oceanside. If you don't mind the longer commute to get into San Diego from that location, it is a perfectly fine area to stay. You can either drive into the city of San Diego from there in about 45 min, or you can indeed take a train into San Diego from Oceanside, either via Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner or the Coaster commuter train. Here is the Coaster's website where you can check out the links for the various train schedules and stations, including Oceanside. gonctd/services/coaster-commuter-rail/ Plan for a commute of about 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way with the train because of all the stops it makes.

AirBnb's and other rental home options like VRBO are plentiful around San Diego too, if you wanted to stay closer to the city. If you decide to also look at beach areas in San Diego- Pacific Beach and La Jolla Shores are two family-friendly beach locations to stay. Mission Beach, which Cornishfrogboy was talking about, does attract a largely university aged crowd and can get a bit raucous during spring break and summer school holiday times- but there is a lot to see in that area for a family with teens, including a beachside amusement park called Belmont Park, and Sea World is minutes away. If you are curious about staying in this area, I would suggest looking for Mission Beach Airbnb's that say they are on are Mission Bay, or "bayside" as it is sometimes called...because there is a large bay that is just minutes away from where the beach is, and while it can be busy there too, it is usually a bit quieter overall than Mission Beach is. I have seen a lot of families staying along the bay.

Del Mar is a lovely coastal town just north of San Diego and has a very nice beach. It's a bit of a drive out of San Diego, but is closer than Oceanside. Solana Beach, Encinitas and Carlsbad are other northern county coastal towns that are all very family-friendly places, too.

Alternatively, hotel brands in San Diego where you can find two bedroom units are Residence Inn by Marriott and Homewood Suites by Hilton.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941

Edited at 03:51 AM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List