Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jun 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Interested in this as up to the beginning of this year I was a happy contact lens wearer, however, I’ve developed some kind of intolerance to them which I’m really not happy about. It’s been okay having to wear glasses every day in lockdown but I really want to go back to not having to wear them all the time! I also have astigmatism.

Laser eye surgery does kind of terrify me though.
scottishgirl87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki Mouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Had it done 7 years ago at the London vision clinic. Absolutely, one of the best things I’ve done. My prescription was -5.75 and had astigmatism.
Only regret, that I didn’t do it sooner
Niki Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

OH had his done about 15 years ago and has often said he wishes he hadn’t had it done. He needed glasses within about 6 years and initially was able to buy standard reading glasses, but has been wearing prescription glasses for the last 5 years or so. Not sure if his expectations of not wearing glasses was wrong, or if he had selective hearing during the consultations!
Old 3 Jun 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
OH had his done about 15 years ago and has often said he wishes he hadn’t had it done. He needed glasses within about 6 years and initially was able to buy standard reading glasses, but has been wearing prescription glasses for the last 5 years or so. Not sure if his expectations of not wearing glasses was wrong, or if he had selective hearing during the consultations!
Yep exactly the same as me, although it was lovely to have good eyes for a few years. Funnily enough I was short sighted but am now long sighted so if I had waited I might have good vision now

I have to wear varifocals now (I'm 53)
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

If you’ve had it done and then you need glasses again, could you technically have it done again or can it only be done the once? I assume it’s only the cost that’s the regret and nothing to do with how it affects their eyesight now? It can’t make eyesight worse over time can it than it would have been had it not been done?
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

I had astigmatisms in both eyes about 8 years ago and would highly recommend it. I had worn glasses for 25 years and contact lenses occasionally for the last 10 years prior to surgery. It was approx £3k. It wasn’t painful but the drops that you have to put in afterwards were very stingy for a few days. I was told that I would eventually need glasses for reading but I’m fine so far. He had suggested that he thought I would get about 10 years glasses free and it’s looking like that will be the case. I was also worried about dry eyes but mine have been fine.
Old 3 Jun 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had it done 10 years ago in Glasgow. I had myopia with astigmatism and had halos round lights beforehand. They reduced significantly after. I'm really glad I had it done. Was about 6 months before our first Florida trip and one of the best things was how much I enjoyed the water parks. I wouldn't have gone on anything before - worried about glasses, eyes would have hurt with contacts and chlorine and too scared if I couldn't see properly. I paid about £3700 for both eyes at the time and think the price has gone down relatively since then ( depends on prescription). The only downside was I was petrified having it done, so much so I was still shaking 2 hours after. It was very quick though. I'd suggest if you may be scared like I was asking for a mild sedative beforehand. Lots of people are not that bothered though.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had mine done in the early 90s & have never regretted it. They’ve regressed slightly but I ‘m still legal to drive. I do have some glasses for night driving though with some kind of anti glare tint. I also need reading glasses but that’s due to age. 🙁
disneywiseowl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

I had mine done at the end of January with Optical Express and it cost just under £3k. That was for the Lasik treatment with iDesign. iDesign is an extra scan you have so the machine measures your eye and sets the laser to the exact strength required for each eye. Its guaranteed at least 20/20 vision or your money back (this includes them doing a second surgery if required!).

I had them done on a Friday and was absolutely fine by the next day. The worst bit is couple of house after when the anaesthetic starts to wear off and your eyes water and sting like you're cutting onions but literally that's the only discomfort I had. I didn't really have dry eyes or anything after just a few bruises on my eyeballs that took a few weeks to go.

I'm so pleased I had it done, no regrets at all.
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
If you’ve had it done and then you need glasses again, could you technically have it done again or can it only be done the once? I assume it’s only the cost that’s the regret and nothing to do with how it affects their eyesight now? It can’t make eyesight worse over time can it than it would have been had it not been done?
Yes you can have it done again as long as you're safe to do so at the time i.e. pass all the criteria again. Because they laser a bit of your lens away it thins it and if its too thin they can't operate again. No it can't make your eyesight worse but it can't stop natural deterioration like needing reading glasses as your eyes get older.