Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Aug 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile San Diego hotels

Hi everyone, so I’m hoping to go west coast next October we are starting in San Diego, then Anaheim and finish in LA, just wondering if anyone has any hotel recommendations for San Diego for 2 adults and a 9year old boy, we won’t be driving so looking for something pretty central, I can’t wait to get our planning properly underway to make up for our cancelled plans this year!
Old 15 Aug 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We wanted to be central so have booked a hotel at fisherman’s wharf. We really wanted the Hotel Zephyr but got a good deal on the Riu plaza... will keep my eye on the zephyr for deals nearer the time!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We wanted to be central so have booked a hotel at fisherman’s wharf. We really wanted the Hotel Zephyr but got a good deal on the Riu plaza... will keep my eye on the zephyr for deals nearer the time!
Great thank you will have a look there x
Old 15 Aug 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Just realised that’s a hotel in San Francisco it’s San Diego I’m looking for big thanks x
Old 15 Aug 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Duh I totally wasn’t paying attention to the title! We haven’t included San Diego this time as we are short on time but I would love to go someday, hope you have a great time!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Island Palms. We had a good stay, after an initial issue with our room. They upgraded us and then gave us breakfast vouchers as an apology.We would stay there again.

I wouldn't say it's central, but San Diego is compact, so you can get around quite easily with an Uber or taxi.

Edited at 03:52 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mission Valley is an area of San Diego that is the most centrally located. It is filled with hotels one after the other, and a major freeway runs through the center of it. There are also two large shopping malls in Mission Valley and a lot of restaurants throughout the area. It isn't what I would call a "scenic" location with the freeway there and there are a lot of businesses around too, but the hotels in Mission Valley are generally more affordable than the hotels in the city center and it is very central to everything. I've added a couple of pictures below that I took of Mission Valley to give you an idea of the area. These are a few of the hotels I would recommend in Mission Valley:

Hilton hilton/en/hotels/san...ission-valley/
Hampton Inn (free breakfasts) hilton/en/hotels/san...ission-valley/
Holiday Inn Express (free breakfasts): ihg/holidayinnexpres...bp/hoteldetail

If you want someplace more scenic with a resort feel, then I would suggest Shelter Island (which is actually a small peninsula and not an island). It is by the airport and close to the city center, and right on the bay. While Shelter Island is not a central location, it isn't terribly far from some of the main attractions in San Diego. There are two nice hotels on Shelter Island, right next to each other, that I can highly recommend:

Best Western Island Palms islandpalms/#gref
Humphrey's Half Moon Inn halfmooninn/

Both of these hotels have good restaurants on the property and while there are a limited number of restaurants within walking distance on Shelter Island, there are plenty of choices a short Uber ride away in the Liberty Station community.

Here is the view of Mission Valley:

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Duh I totally wasn’t paying attention to the title! We haven’t included San Diego this time as we are short on time but I would love to go someday, hope you have a great time!
Thank you, I’m really looking forward to it and hopefully get planning properly soon x
Old 15 Aug 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
We stayed at the Best Western Plus Island Palms. We had a good stay, after an initial issue with our room. They upgraded us and then gave us breakfast vouchers as an apology.We would stay there again.

I wouldn't say it's central, but San Diego is compact, so you can get around quite easily with an Uber or taxi.
Oh great thanks I had that hotel on our list so good to know thank you
Old 15 Aug 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Mission Valley is an area of San Diego that is the most centrally located. It is filled with hotels one after the other, and a major freeway runs through the center of it. There are also two large shopping malls in Mission Valley and a lot of restaurants throughout the area. It isn't what I would call a "scenic" location with the freeway there and there are a lot of businesses around too, but the hotels in Mission Valley are generally more affordable than the hotels in the city center and it is very central to everything. I've added a couple of pictures below that I took of Mission Valley to give you an idea of the area. These are a few of the hotels I would recommend in Mission Valley:

Hilton hilton/en/hotels/san...ission-valley/
Hampton Inn (free breakfasts) hilton/en/hotels/san...ission-valley/
Holiday Inn Express (free breakfasts): ihg/holidayinnexpres...bp/hoteldetail

If you want someplace more scenic with a resort feel, then I would suggest Shelter Island (which is actually a small peninsula and not an island). It is by the airport and close to the city center, and right on the bay. While Shelter Island is not a central location, it isn't terribly far from some of the main attractions in San Diego. There are two nice hotels on Shelter Island, right next to each other, that I can highly recommend:

Best Western Island Palms islandpalms/#gref
Humphrey's Half Moon Inn halfmooninn/

Both of these hotels have good restaurants on the property and while there are a limited number of restaurants within walking distance on Shelter Island, there are plenty of choices a short Uber ride away in the Liberty Station community.

Here is the view of Mission Valley:

As always I hoped you would reply! Great will have a look at those hotels thank you