Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 May 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nic18076
Apprentice Imagineer

So pleased to see another update - especially to the TF saga. Your updates make me laugh out loud - which to be honest isn't that helpful when you are as full of hayfever as I am at the moment .

By the way I don't think you are in any way an "old fashioned sort of mother", and I would never let my DS go away to strangers like that either. I always think if you said to someone who didn't have children "imagine you had a suitcase full of 10 million pounds - would you be happy to drop it off at nursery for its first day with strangers, or let it wander down to the park on its own etc etc" they would of course decline the opportunity - and yet somehow you are made to feel like you are making a fuss if you are slightly nervous about doing the same with your actual child!
Nic18076 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PumpkinKitty View Post
Oh I don't know actually! Which is pretty bad considering I love HP!
I'll google it .- I got Gryfinndor so feel I've let the side down 😳
Edited .. just did the proper Pottermore one which had so many more questions and was more in depth and look ..

I often feel like that about being a parent . I feel like I'm cheating my kids somehow and that I'm just not doing it right.
What a horrible way to live
There's no way you're doing a bad job with Poot, just look at him! He's smart, kind, sensible and has a kick ass sense of humour .
You are definitely #winning in the parent stakes
Ok .. here goes .. BUT if I kicked off the dibb then it's your fault .
It actually a real film (don't ask me how I know ) but it's actually a blue version of Saving Private Ryan but changed to ...
'Shaving Ryan's Privates' 🙄

Poor Ryan! Ouch!

How lovely are you to go and take the Pottermore test for a complete stranger? If you're this good to me, your kids must worship the ground you walk on. And if they don't, they should.

AND...excellent...

Poot's a good lad - I've tried my best with him - I'm sure his father deserves some of the credit, though.

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I loved Ellis Island, had I been there alone I'd have spent more time there, before we went a friend asked us if we could find her father on the Veteran's wall ... so we found him and took the required photos but I didn't have time to look for my own family on there too so at some point I need to do that.

My favourite photo I never took was in NYC , heading towards China Town in a cab we stopped at a crossing and six Santas crossed the road together (we later discovered there was a Santas convention in the city that day). Just couldn't get to the camera fast enough.

Oh, that's amazing that you'll be able to research your own family connection at EI one day. My family (both sides) was too late.

Love your "six Santas" - my favourite photo I never took was at the Battle of Hastings reenactment. There was a long line of Portaloos - and about a dozen doors opened at once - to reveal men all dressed for an 11th century battle. It was so funny and incongruous - and I reached for my camera just in time to think, "Don't take a snap of men coming out of the john, April".

EDIT: And TOTALLY with you on 84 Charing Cross Road. Brilliant book/film.

Edited at 12:19 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

And don't you forget it! I don't go around taking Harry Potter Quizzes for just ANYONE you know 😘
Old 12 May 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Excited6910 View Post
Loved this day.

Can't believe "wandy" but I love how all the kids were really gracious about it.

That toothsome starter looked amazing. That rude woman though not waiting patiently for Poots interaction to finish.

We had a really good interaction with Stan too. I'm Harry Potter mad. Yes I'm an adult...mostly...and I stood in awe of it all.

I'm a gryffindor

Thanks for reporting in, Gryffindor. I am keen to see if the numbers will balance out. So far we're two Ravenclaws, two Gryffindors, a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin...

As you know I love a good chart!

I am *not* the biggest HP fan, but you can't stand in Diagon Alley and not just be amazed. I can only imagine how it must be for "proper" fans. Fingers crossed that somebody builds Middle Earth so I get that feeling myself one day!

I really do appreciate how they have "Stan" (and the head) and the HE conductor - I would love to see some "characters" in the restaurants, too. That would be great.

Thanks so much for hanging in there with us, Excited.

Originally Posted by Nic18076 View Post
So pleased to see another update - especially to the TF saga. Your updates make me laugh out loud - which to be honest isn't that helpful when you are as full of hayfever as I am at the moment .

By the way I don't think you are in any way an "old fashioned sort of mother", and I would never let my DS go away to strangers like that either. I always think if you said to someone who didn't have children "imagine you had a suitcase full of 10 million pounds - would you be happy to drop it off at nursery for its first day with strangers, or let it wander down to the park on its own etc etc" they would of course decline the opportunity - and yet somehow you are made to feel like you are making a fuss if you are slightly nervous about doing the same with your actual child!

Sorry that I have caused you mucus-related problems, Nic.

Ooh, and I LIKE your analogy. It's a bit like when people say things to you like, "I have a rabbit, so I know what it's like to be a parent." Um, no. No, you don't.

Not to COMPLETELY overegg the pudding, but when this sort of thing comes up I think about the McCann family. Remember what people said about them for leaving their (sleeping) children alone in their hotel room? Hindsight is 20/20, obviously - but if something went wrong in Paris - how could we ever forgive ourselves?

And I probably am an old-fashioned sort of mother. I just didn't need to hear that from Cousine X!

Many thanks for taking the time to comment, and for your thoughtful support -
Old 12 May 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PumpkinKitty View Post
And don't you forget it! I don't go around taking Harry Potter Quizzes for just ANYONE you know 😘
I am appropriately cowed, PK.
Old 12 May 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My pile of ironing has just been forgotten about while I read your next instalment and complete a HP Quiz ! (I'm a Ravenclaw by the way).
According to my DD's teacher (who is young enough to be my daughter) "old fashioned mother's kids" are a joy to have in class as they have manners, are well behaved and their learning continues outwith the classroom. I don't know if it is a compliment or not but I was 39 when I had DD and still believe that times tables and being able to read, write and spell without the aid of a computer are important life skills. So take it as a compliment that you care about your child and are not prepared to send him off with his backpack to stay with strangers (I have a vision of TF arriving at Paddington Station like Paddington Bear and then going off on an adventure - how weird).
Now to the actual day - it sounds like you had a great time at Universal and can't believe how quiet it was even allowing for the fact that you had FOL passes. Toothsome looks great and the milkshakes if that's what they call them will definitely be on my order if we ever get to visit but how rude was that "lady" !
Your holiday can't come to an end as we all need our friday fix of Florida and digressions so I think you will need to create a Social Group called April's Friday Fix for you and your followers to discuss various topics until your next trip

Edited at 03:11 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
My pile of ironing has just been forgotten about while I read your next instalment and complete a HP Quiz ! (I'm a Ravenclaw by the way).
According to my DD's teacher (who is young enough to be my daughter) "old fashioned mother's kids" are a joy to have in class as they have manners, are well behaved and their learning continues outwith the classroom. I don't know if it is a compliment or not but I was 39 when I had DD and still believe that times tables and being able to read, write and spell without the aid of a computer are important life skills. So take it as a compliment that you care about your child and are not prepared to send him off with his backpack to stay with strangers (I have a vision of TF arriving at Paddington Station like Paddington Bear and then going off on an adventure - how weird).
Now to the actual day - it sounds like you had a great time at Universal and can't believe how quiet it was even allowing for the fact that you had FOL passes. Toothsome looks great and the milkshakes if that's what they call them will definitely be on my order if we ever get to visit but how rude was that "lady" !
Your holiday can't come to an end as we all need our friday fix of Florida and digressions so I think you will need to create a Social Group called April's Friday Fix for you and your followers to discuss various topics until your next trip

What a splendid comment (top to toe) - thank you.

THREE Ravenclaws now - I wonder if we as a group will prove to be a preponderance of the Dibbing population...goes to mark chart...

This really is my soap-box issue coming up, but I will try and keep it short.

The number of my friends' kids who do not know their times tables and cannot write (in script) or spell - I am just . And the teachers say, "Well, those things aren't relevant." or "All that information is available to us via modern technology, we don't NEED rote learning anymore." I really do wonder what will happen to the brains of people who do not create those neural pathways (from memorisation) when they're young. What must it feel like not to really "KNOW" anything, but to only be aware of where you can go to get what (an inanimate objects tells you) is true. Not a good state of affairs, I fear. Maybe we should fix Poot and your DD up now...

And you keep impressive intellectual company. The Queen (mine, not yours) also likened TF to Paddington. She was NOT amused when I agreed and quipped, "Please Look After This Frog".

You iron, Mel? When would you like to come 'round? That is my LEAST favourite household task. I would rather clean the loo ten times than do the ironing (and I live with two men!).
Old 12 May 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lovely birthday for poot

I'm enjoying the TF saga wonder how it will end

Joan
Old 12 May 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A lovely birthday for poot

I'm enjoying the TF saga wonder how it will end

Joan
He's always a happy chappy, Joan - but he was ESPECIALLY so that day. It's remarkable to think that a $50 plastic stick could be "worth it" - but it was...

And yes - I am wondering how the TF saga will end, too. I assume that his mother is right - and that after a couple of hard weeks he'll come to love boarding school. I just can't imagine, though - I would have missed my parents DREADFULLY at that age. Did you send your kids to boarding school?

Thanks so much for hanging in there with us.
Old 12 May 17, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have just taken the Pottermore test and am rather surprised to find I'm a Gryffindor. Definitely not off saving the world, but rather on the train home from my very geeky city job. Confused!

There is so much to love in today's post. My eldest got one of those wands with her holiday money last time and she loved the spells so much so I believe they are worth every penny. She has such a fabulous imagination I suspect that even though she knows deep down that they aren't real a part of her still thinks she does real magic.

I am definitely team Poot on the grammar. That article recently about the chap in Bristol who corrects signs for a hobby made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I recently had a meeting with a really large client with a rogue apostrophe in one of their slides and I wanted to correct them there and then.

I can't wait to hear the next installment on TF and of course your holiday.
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List