Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jul 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Disneyland California

Our Sept 2020 trip to Disney Animal Kingdom has now been cancelled and looking at plans for next year.
We are planning on 10 days at Disney hopefully AKl if it’s open then 4 days on the Gulf of Mexico before flying over to California for a few days.
We don’t want to stay in a Disney hotel so any recommendations?
We maybe would like a day trip to Disney just to say we’ve been but would also like to sight see in California while we are there.
Any tips or recommendations on California (must sees and places to stay) would be really appreciated.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

We have done California a couple of times and loved it. Why not 10 days in Cal instead of Disney? That way you could do a mini road trip. We loved San Fransisco, Yosemite, Burbank, Griffith Park and obviously Disneyland. In terms of hotel, California is BIG. Stay close to what you are doing and maybe even a different hotel for each night if you want to see it all. We love the Tangerine in Burbank for Universal, Warner Bros Studios, Griffith Park and Disney Studio Tour. Fairmont was incredible in San Fran (but we got a good deal) and the Disneyland Hotel is one of my favourites, although, lots of good alternatives much cheeper.
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by ginnyfish View Post
We have done California a couple of times and loved it. Why not 10 days in Cal instead of Disney? That way you could do a mini road trip. We loved San Fransisco, Yosemite, Burbank, Griffith Park and obviously Disneyland. In terms of hotel, California is BIG. Stay close to what you are doing and maybe even a different hotel for each night if you want to see it all. We love the Tangerine in Burbank for Universal, Warner Bros Studios, Griffith Park and Disney Studio Tour. Fairmont was incredible in San Fran (but we got a good deal) and the Disneyland Hotel is one of my favourites, although, lots of good alternatives much cheeper.
Thank you for this just what I’m looking for. I love Disney Florida which is why we wanting the 10 days however will look at what we want to do in LA and maybe move some days.
I’m looking at maybe a sneaky week in LA this Feb 21 for hubby’s 50th but all depends on costs and Covid-19!
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

Although quite a trek from LA / Disney, we'd recommend San Francisco - Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and the Cable Cars.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by A&S&O View Post
Although quite a trek from LA / Disney, we'd recommend San Francisco - Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and the Cable Cars.
Excellent thanks am looking at maybe a stay in San Fran too. Would you drive or fly up from LAX?
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Enchantedkeepsa View Post
Excellent thanks am looking at maybe a stay in San Fran too. Would you drive or fly up from LAX?
We did something similar to this in July 2018 although we skipped LA.

Flew to San Fran and stayed for 4 days and explored Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf and Golden Gate Park. The hopped in the car and drove 3 hours to South Lake Tahoe (highly recommend going here! Although the altitude can be tough) and spent 2 days here.

We then drove another 3 hours to Mammoth Lakes (were planning on Yosemite but the pass was still snowed over) and spent 3 days here before driving 5 hours onto Las Vegas for the final 6 days.

This was a really good way of viewing some of California and I would highly recommend doing it!

We've also done it where we have driven from San Fran to LA and then onto Vegas, doing stops in-between of course! I would say do San Fran first as it'll be the shortest part of your trip (you only really need 4 days here) and then drive down the coast to LA

Next Trip: Canary Islands June, 2023
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by meegraine View Post
We did something similar to this in July 2018 although we skipped LA.

Flew to San Fran and stayed for 4 days and explored Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf and Golden Gate Park. The hopped in the car and drove 3 hours to South Lake Tahoe (highly recommend going here! Although the altitude can be tough) and spent 2 days here.

We then drove another 3 hours to Mammoth Lakes (were planning on Yosemite but the pass was still snowed over) and spent 3 days here before driving 5 hours onto Las Vegas for the final 6 days.

This was a really good way of viewing some of California and I would highly recommend doing it!

We've also done it where we have driven from San Fran to LA and then onto Vegas, doing stops in-between of course! I would say do San Fran first as it'll be the shortest part of your trip (you only really need 4 days here) and then drive down the coast to LA
Wow that sounded like a fab holiday! I have a 5 year old with us so I need to take this into account with sight seeing and driving as he’s not the type to sit for hours lol!
Old 22 Jul 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Wow that sounded like a fab holiday! I have a 5 year old with us so I need to take this into account with sight seeing and driving as he’s not the type to sit for hours lol!
There are plenty of towns and places to stop along the way! None of us really wanted to do 5 hours straight to Vegas from Mammoth and were considering booking a hotel in Death Valley but we wanted an extra night on the Vegas Strip instead so just dealt with it but I would defo try and take more stops, plus you get to see some towns you would've never seen before!

The drive from San Fran to Anaheim takes about 6 1/2 hours on a good day but you can stop in places like Modesto, San Luis Obispo, Bakersfield, Fresno etc to make the journey times shorter between destinations

I really would suggest driving it though, some of the views of the mountains you get are just amazing, you'd never really get the same view if you did it via plane!

Edited at 03:09 PM.
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by meegraine View Post
There are plenty of towns and places to stop along the way! None of us really wanted to do 5 hours straight to Vegas from Mammoth and were considering booking a hotel in Death Valley but we wanted an extra night on the Vegas Strip instead so just dealt with it but I would defo try and take more stops, plus you get to see some towns you would've never seen before!

The drive from San Fran to Anaheim takes about 6 1/2 hours on a good day but you can stop in places like Modesto, San Luis Obispo, Bakersfield, Fresno etc to make the journey times shorter between destinations

I really would suggest driving it though, some of the views of the mountains you get are just amazing, you'd never really get the same view if you did it via plane!
My hubby does the driving so will use this to persuade him. What’s the driving like over there is it just the same as driving around Orlando ?
Old 22 Jul 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
My hubby does the driving so will use this to persuade him. What’s the driving like over there is it just the same as driving around Orlando ?
When you get out of the city its a lot of straight long roads or highways! If you stay in Anaheim then everything is along one stretch of road whereas central LA (the Hollywood area) can be a lot more 'every man for himself' sort of driving :')

I wouldn't suggest having a car in San Fran, they have a great tram system that'll get you wherever you need to go! It really depends on where you're staying or where you plan on going in all honesty