Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 24 Mar 02, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

The day did not start off well! I'd been out on the razz the night before and had drunk far too much! I was up half the night being very unwell! But I couldn't pass up the chance of a child free roller coaster day now could I - no matter how ill I felt!

I staggered out of bed at 8am, crawled downstairs and lay groaning on the settee. Back upstairs for another session in the bathroom at 8.30 and went back to bed! Got up again at 10.30 feeling slightly better and promised myself 'Never again!'……..mmmmm…now where have I heard that before!!!

Anyway, I jumped in the shower to attempt a revival (marginally successful) and then packed overnight bags for the girls. We (well, Shaun actually - didn't think I should! ) drove the half hour to my parents' and dropped the girls off and we set off for the hour+ journey to Thorpe Park (with a bottle of water and a strategically placed plastic bag at the ready!! )

I was wondering at this point if this day out was a good idea - I mean 10 loops on a sever hangover? (Please remember I do not have Shaun's practice!! )

By the time we arrived at Thorpe Park, I felt a bit better and decided that even if I only did one ride - I would go for it! We queued up to get our new annual passes (should be £70, we got them for £17.50 each using our Tesco clubcard vouchers! ) and then we were off!

We headed into the park and went straight to Colossus (the new 10 looping roller coaster which was the whole point of our visit today! ). We were expecting long queues, as the car park had been busy and being a new, nationally advertised ride - but no! We queued for 20 minutes (there was a separate line for the front row seats) and we were on! Wow! You're twisted this way and that, never quite sure what's next! It was very smooth - with some different effects, like a slow barrel roll close to the ground - makes you feel like you're going to fall out! The whole ride weaves in and out of the queuing/approach area very effectively! It was very good, but you just can't help thinking that if Disney had done it the theming would have been SO much better!

Well, I managed not to be sick on the heads of the people below - but it was a close run thing! I staggered off the ride and Shaun said, "Brilliant! Let's do it again!" My stomach nearly left my body via my mouth at that point so I weakly replied, "You go ahead, I'll sit here and rest a minute!"

I sat down on a quiet looking slab of stone and gratefully rested my head against a pillar, when suddenly ROAR!!! - the coaster zoomed past about 2 feet away, rattling and shaking everything around it! Not good I thought, and moved away to a quieter spot!

Well, I waited and waited and waited. No Shaun - where had he got to? After 3/4 hour I wandered around the shop (you exit the ride via the shop! ) and from there to the actual exit of the ride. After about 15 minutes, of staggered Shaun! He'd decided to queue for the front row! He said it was excellent - much better and that  I should try it! Maybe next time!!

By now it was about 2pm and we decided to have some lunch - is food a good idea? Mmmmm…let's see! I hadn't eaten for about 19 hours ( a record for me! ), so we headed off and bought sarnies and lemonade. Yep - it seemed to work I felt better after that!

Off we went to do the Ribena Rapids (newly revamped and sponsored for 2002) and Loggers Leap. Got a bit damp, but not too bad - certainly nothing like Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges!

Then we wandered over to a new ride they are building and peeked through the fence. It's supposed to be 'The best roller coaster experience in the world'! Mmmmm….better than Hulk, Duelling Dragons, RnRC, Kraken, Montu etc etc - we'll see!!

I was feeling even better now - and decided a therapeutic jam donut was in order! Yummy!

We decided to see how long the queue was for Vortex, one of last years new rides that we never got to do because the queues were always so long. When we got there I looked up and saw that thing swinging, swooping, twisting and swaying throught he sky - I don't think so!- not today!

Shaun jumped in the queue and after about 25 minutes climbed into his seat. Well, he enjoyed it - but I couldn't even watch!

Another wander round and we decided to call it a day. We stopped at TGI Fridays on the way home (no lager for me! ) and got home at about 7.45pm.

All in all, a good day. The main objective - to ride Colossus - was achieved, and we both enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again (without the dodgy head and tummy next time! )

Thorpe Park is getting better and better now - highly recommended!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Ohh err, now you know what I felt like at IOA with sinussy flu!!  A touch tender in the head department!!

I've been seriously tempted by the Alton Towers/Thorpe Park APs from Tescos, but they're both quite a way!!

Off to read Shaun's version, I'm sure it won't be written as well!!  .  .   Note my loyalty to the female version!!!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Girls - They just can't handle the booze!!
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post

. sorry to hear your day started off green
DS1 is Theme park mad we took him and his little brother to Lego Land and Thorpe park for his 10th Birthday
He will be wanting to go again when he reads this .
sound good
I'm too chicken im the one who looks after the coats
He wants to go to Alton Towers to try out The New Air ride
We last went there on his 13th Birthday which was in  October We had a great offer on family room in there hotel breakfast and 4 entry tickets all for £99
Old 24 Mar 02, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

I saw Colossus on GMTV on Friday. It looked WOW! Glad you survived it without being sick on anyone .  I've never been to Thorpe Park, where is it?
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

Thorpe Park is in Surrey, just off the M25, south west London(ish).

It's fairly close to Chessington World of Adventures - we've been known to do both parks in one day!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
poor you Alison! I couldn't do that ride without a hangover let alone with one!! .

Great description of Thorpe park, I love it there, its a really nice park for kids, and great for adults too. .

... oh and the report is obviously far superior to Shauns!!!
Old 24 Mar 02, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

An excellent report! Ten out of ten for detail .. Far superior to Bonzo's version.
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mapman
Cream Tea anyone ?

mapman's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Thanks Alison, excellent report.
We went there for DS birthday last year and had a great time - saw them building the coaster. Orlando still knocks spots of ours though - but we havn't been to Alton Towers yet - we're thinking about going there either this year or next.
cheers,

Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.

My Orlando Map - http://www.orlandomaps.co.uk
mapman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 02, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow how brave Alison - 10 loops on a hangover- respect!!
Have done Chessington at 8 months pregnant-no comparison really!!

. .