Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 Oct 19, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Scooter McDuck
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Recently profoundly disabled

Hi guys,

I’m recently profoundly disabled after living 35+ years able bodied. I’ve lost the use of my legs and some of my arm strength. Anyway, we were due to go back to WDW this summer gone, but due to my illness we couldn’t go. First time in 15 years we’ve not been back. It’s our happy place and we’ve missed it terribly, but it’s nothing compared to being alive. But now I’ve been thinking about getting back there but am just so overwhelmed by the idea of travelling, getting about. In truth everything seems massive for me at the moment. I was used to flying in and out running about the place. This will be so different. I have young kids and a wife, and I want to still be able to go for them. But I am honestly scared as to how I’ll cope, how it will be for them. I desperately don’t want to spoil the years of great memories we have from Disney. When I was diagnosed with cancer and during the gruelling treatment and surgery Disney was one of my major focuses for getting well to be back with my Family enjoying all that we had enjoyed. Now it will all be very different, I feel so spooked by the idea of such travel and the pressures on my family with my being in a chair etc.

I was always the driver. I was the pack leader so to speak. Everything was always 100 miles an hour with me. I lead it all.

Why am I writing this I don’t know, maybe to see what you guys can offer if anything in terms of reassurance about travelling with disabilities, access and experiences. I have to adjust to whole a new life, but I would love to really believe we could get back there as something to look forward to again. We are DVC members and so I really hope I get to go back and use it.

Some of the things whizzing about my head:

Travel insurance and the crazy costs likely
Getting to the airport
Getting on and off the plane and through airport
Managing 9.5hrs pretty much stuck in the airplane seat
Accessing the cramped loos
Dealing with the heat and if that will be very different being unable to move from a wheelchair
Accessing attractions
Accessing restaurants
And so many other things.

But I thought I would just share my initial concerns on this board. In the hope there may some experience and support out there.

Thank you all very much indeed.
Scooter McDuck is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List