Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Jun 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Question Help with availability and contracts please

Apologies I have yet more questions on buying into DVC

I have been looking at various contracts for SSR over the last few days, I'm in no rush to put an offer in yet but I'm just trying to keep track of the market at the moment. We are hoping to buy a contract and use the points next year so ideally need a contract with points available for this year that we can bank to next year. I am also aware of the new rule about only being able to borrow 50% of next years points which hasn't helped! However quite a few contracts I have seen have a use year of Feb and April and no points available for 2020. It means we would not have the points available to make the booking until potentially next year when the 2021 points became available and we can borrow 50% of 2022's points. I have no idea how quickly things book up at resorts and no way of checking as far as I can tell. We are more than happy to stay at SSR resort however we would want a preferred studio and the booking would be made less than 7 months until we go, we want to go the last two weeks of August. I'm really after opinions if this seems a bit unrealistic to expect to be able to go next year buying one of the above contracts?

I hope all that made sense, it made sense in my mind but ended up being very waffly
craaazyuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you’d be fine.

SSR tends to have good availability even for studios. Late August isn’t that popular. And some DVC owners avoid booking preferred at SSR to make their points go further...

So I think in a normal year you would be completely fine. I guess next year is still hard to predict at the moment though!
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I agree with Karen, SSR availability is generally very open, and late August is a quiet DVC time, whilst the American kids have gone back to school, the points drop significantly in September that I guess that's what they're waiting for.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks both that is what I thought but I suppose next year is a bit of an unknown for everyone at the moment.
At least I feel a bit more confident with those type of contracts now
craaazyuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by craaazyuk View Post
I have seen have a use year of Feb and April and no points available for 2020.
I apologize if you have covered this in another post but have you already figured out what "use year" you want to own? If you are normally going to travel in August for your trips then the best use year for you to own would be August, then June, April or March. They would all work well for someone that travels in August.

I hope that helps and I hope the right contract comes along for you.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
buyandselldvc
Old 4 Jun 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by JasonErpelding View Post
I apologize if you have covered this in another post but have you already figured out what "use year" you want to own? If you are normally going to travel in August for your trips then the best use year for you to own would be August, then June, April or March. They would all work well for someone that travels in August.

I hope that helps and I hope the right contract comes along for you.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
buyandselldvc
Hi Jason,

I’ll be honest I have struggled to understand the use year thing and the relevance it would have on our trips. We plan to go ever other year the last two weeks in August by banking and/or borrowing points. Would you be able to explain a little on how use year makes a difference?
Sorry if I’m being a pain but any advice you can offer I would really appreciate.
Thanks
Amy 😊
Old 4 Jun 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Hi Jason,

I’ll be honest I have struggled to understand the use year thing and the relevance it would have on our trips. We plan to go ever other year the last two weeks in August by banking and/or borrowing points. Would you be able to explain a little on how use year makes a difference?
Sorry if I’m being a pain but any advice you can offer I would really appreciate.
Thanks
Amy 😊
The biggest time use year makes a difference is if you ever had to cancel. For example, let's say you had a September use year and your points went into your account on 9/1/20. You then call September of 2020 to make your reservation in August of 2021. Then something happens July 1st, 2021 and you decide you need to cancel that August 2021 trip. You are canceling 31 days in advance so all your points go back to regular points. The problem though is that they now need to be used by 9/1/21 because you are past your banking window. If you owned a March, April, June or August use year you would still have time to bank the points. The March use year would give you until the end of October to bank the points.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
buyandselldvc
Old 4 Jun 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by JasonErpelding View Post
The biggest time use year makes a difference is if you ever had to cancel. For example, let's say you had a September use year and your points went into your account on 9/1/20. You then call September of 2020 to make your reservation in August of 2021. Then something happens July 1st, 2021 and you decide you need to cancel that August 2021 trip. You are canceling 31 days in advance so all your points go back to regular points. The problem though is that they now need to be used by 9/1/21 because you are past your banking window. If you owned a March, April, June or August use year you would still have time to bank the points. The March use year would give you until the end of October to bank the points.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
buyandselldvc
Thank you for taking the time to explain it Jason that is all really helpful. I did not realise the impact the use year had on banking points, especially if we had to cancel for any reason.
Old 4 Jun 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Thank you for taking the time to explain it Jason that is all really helpful. I did not realise the impact the use year had on banking points, especially if we had to cancel for any reason.
You are very welcome.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
buyandselldvc/index.php