Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Car insurance expires 1 week before new car delivery. WWYD?

Would you advise renewing the policy on the current car then changing or taking out a short term policy on my current car for the week then starting afresh with the new one?

I've got some quotes for the new one and they're pretty similar to the current one, what I can't seem to get is a quote to change cars mid policy (waiting to hear back from insurance company)

Thank you

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Just renew it and change the vehicle on delivery.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d first of all ring up my insurer, and say I need a quote, if I renew and do the swap what is the renewal price and what is the swap price for the new car. Have some alternative quotes for the renewal, then say you’ll pull it, and get it negotiated down.
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Car insurance can be strange because they can give you a good quote on one car and then when you transfer it over to another car, they put the price right up (with an admin fee on top). Some policies such as Admiral (I believe) allow you to cancel the policy within 14 days and you only pay for the 7 days you've used it and not even an admin fee (do double check that though).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Other option if you can live without the car is to hand it over to the garage 7 days early so you don't have to insure it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Just renew it and change the vehicle on delivery.
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Car insurance can be strange because they can give you a good quote on one car and then when you transfer it over to another car, they put the price right up (with an admin fee on top). Some policies such as Admiral (I believe) allow you to cancel the policy within 14 days and you only pay for the 7 days you've used it and not even an admin fee (do double check that though).
Similar as we and dd moved within a couple of weeks of policy date. I explained all when I was getting quotes and they made a note to waive the admin fee. Secondly, ask if garage give you a weeks free insurance which will give you time to source quotes. Unless you are changing insurer completely I wouldn't risk not having continuous insurance even if you don't have the car for such a short period of time, not sure how it would affect your NCB. Good luck!
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Take out a new policy with a new insurer - you normally have a couple of weeks to back out of it for any reason. So take it out, then cancel within your allowable cancel period after getting the new car, and search for new quotes for the new one = the old insurer knows they have you over a barrel if you swap cars mid-policy.
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I'm due to get a new car in July but have just renewed. I ended up renewing as I did a few comparison quotes and they were similar to my renewal price. I could have had cashback elsewhere but most of them involved admin fees for change of car, change of job etc. As I might need to change a few things I decided to stick with quotemehappy as I can make changes online with no fees for.lost things other than any difference in price. Obviously my policy might go up but if it's a lot more I can always pay the fee to cancel and look elsewhere. I'm not sure if I'll have a new car as soon as mine goes back as I have a lease car and may be looking to buy. Quote me happy give me 14days before they expect me to cancel the policy once my car goes back. The only problem would be if I ended up with a new car before the other went back in which case I'd need a temporary policy.
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
kylali
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Just renew and then change the vehicle on the policy when get the new car. When you are getting renewal quotes you can also ask them to quote you to change the policy to the new car from whatever date your having it.
kylali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Other option if you can live without the car is to hand it over to the garage 7 days early so you don't have to insure it
this would be the easiest option

another is to approach the garage assume its a main dealer / 'big' garage & ask of they will throw in 2 weeks insurance?

shy bairns get nowt..
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List