Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
supermumof3
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I did not go to Orlando until about my 6th trip if I had gone there first I would never have gone back to the USA its not dissimilar to Blackpool.
From someone who grew up in Blackpool & still lives in a neighbouring town...I can tell you Orlando is nothing like Blackpool...there's not a place on this earth that can be compared to Blackpool in it's current state
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by supermumof3 View Post
From someone who grew up in Blackpool & still lives in a neighbouring town...I can tell you Orlando is nothing like Blackpool...there's not a place on this earth that can be compared to Blackpool in it's current state
It's a bit of an odd and perhaps insulting/ snobbish comment to make on a board primarily for trips there
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

5 days = 10 sessions

LA decide whether or not to fine, you may just be monitored for 50 school days following trip.

In our school the teacher can't say no. If a parent asks for 2 weeks worth of work to cover absence they have to say yes with a smile, if parent wants a meeting to go over work they have to say yes with a smile. Inside they are not smiling! They have to put a pack together and mark it on return, its massively time consuming.

I personally would avoid yr 7 for 2 of my children but 1 wouldn't be fazed so it really depends how your children cope.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

When DS started year 7 the first half term was spent assessing the kids to ensure they were in the correct sets for subjects. They are initially put into sets based on SATS but in the first half term they have more tests (CATs I think). They are then moved to appropriate sets.
It's really hard to climb sets so I wouldn't want my year 7 just plopped into a set with a space as others can be assessed more accurately.
Could you go the end of June \ July when SATS for year 6 has finished?
Probably get free Disney dining then too 😉
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by supermumof3 View Post
I think I may have not put my point across very well, my point is that Florida is not representative of true American culture just as Blackpool is not British culture. Both areas survive on tourism and have been developed purely for that reason and are do not give a true picture of either country’s culture. I have been to Blackpool twice on both occasions I have seen many groups of stag and hen nights dressed and behaving in a way that Would not be usual in most other towns in the country. My point is that no one goes to Orlando/Kissimmee etc for an insight into another culture they go to go to fairgrounds.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
It's a bit of an odd and perhaps insulting/ snobbish comment to make on a board primarily for trips there
Not my intention to be insulting or snobbish but it is true we only go to Orlando for Disney, without Disney no one would know where Orlando was. I like theme parks and DD does so will go back, but generally IMHO the rest of the area does not have Enough to draw me there certainly not at the expense of the other wonderful things that US has to offer.

I don’t see anything snobbish or insulting about that I am not criticising anyone else for their choice just putting mine across.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

We did it not so long ago, one daughter in primary (yr2) and one in secondary (yr8). Primary fined us £120 and secondary authorised it - everything depends on the individual school and your local authority.

At the end of the say it's a week (or 2) out of their whole school life - and they are at school for a long time! They are only little once and so much is put on them in school now - we dont regret taking them out of school at all, they had the most amazing time and made incredible memories. Would we do it again - in a heartbeat, bank account says not for a while please!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
jiminycricket
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I'm a teacher. Take them, take them, take them! The only reason schools give a hoot is because Ofsted give a hoot. They want their school to be outstanding, and you can't be without attendance records. Down with Ofsted.
Anyway... The single most important thing to your kids is time memories and unconditional love from you. The bond grown on a holiday like this far outweighs a week of school work in my opinion. As said above, don't ask the teacher for the work for them to complete, they will be polite and do it, but it is a pain in the backside. Instead ask them the topics they plan to teach, e.g. long division, letter writing,and teach these yourself,take a pen and notebook whilst waiting in line and make a joke of it of you want to. Call it holiday school! Check online for the correct way to teach it, there's loads of websites that will show you.
Also, you don't get fined unless it's a full week out I believe, so look for weeks that's have a teacher training day on the Mon/Fri, school is only open 4 days so no fine ☺️
jiminycricket is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gp1602
Getting Excited

Ten sessions is 5 days. A session is either the morning or the afternoon. Schools do not make the decision about fines , that is the Local Authority. Schools are not allowed to authorise anything so if you took 2 days for a holiday it won’t be authorised if you take 11 it won’t be authorised. For very exceptional circumstances schools can authorise - things like - a parent works for the armed forces and can only take holidays at set times. I know of some parents who get around the fine by taking their child in for a morning session - they then pick them up within an hour and that means a fine cannot be imposed as they will miss only 9 sessions and not the ten that triggers a fine. Fines are imposed to both parents - £60 per parent per child. If I wanted to go I would either factor in the added cost or try to get a flight that means that I do not miss 10 sessions. I would also be honest with the school. Like others have said, children are not little for long and you must make the most of it as it goes in a flash. I wouldn’t feel bad if you go - school holidays are very expensive and I totally understand anyone who travels outside of these times because they simply can not afford the costs in the holidays.
Gp1602 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi,
We have had some comments regarding this subject and there seems to be some confusion with some members thinking that this topic is 'Banned'.

We list any banned topics in out T&C's, there is a link to our T&C's in the footer of every page.
See Section 3, specifically Section 3.2

Direct Link here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/terms_and_conditions.php

The topic of taking children out of school isn't a banned subject and we do allow discussion on the forums. It should be noted though that as this can be a touchy subject if parents and teachers do not agree we may have to intervene occasionally.

In the past we have closed these threads either due to ongoing arguments or to prevent escalation into an argument, each thread is looked at on its own merit and appropriate action will be taken as and when we feel it is necessary.

We would rather place restrictions on individual members where it can clearly be seen that they are the cause of the argument or unfriendliness rather than close a whole thread. Sometimes this isn't always possible as threads can branch off in different directions quickly but where possible we will try and keep threads open.

If individual members have very strong opinions on this or any topic we ask them to make sure that their opinions are expressed in a respectful friendly manner that doesn't involve a personal attack on another individual or group of individuals.

Hopefully this will make things clear.

Keep it friendly & don't make things personal

Edited at 10:34 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List