Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Apr 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Sleep Apnoea *update pg6*

Anyone have this?

I had a sleep study and they said if I didn’t hear back that meant I was fine and the result was normal. Today I got a letter saying I need to see the consultant. I’m not sure if I have this yet but I know if I do they may suggest a CPAP machine.

I know I’ll need to inform the insurance. But what about flying and travelling? Any issues? Also, anyone know what to expect with security for the airport etc?

Bit worried about waiting for what the consultant will say.

Edited at 07:40 AM.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lollina
Excited about Disney

My husband has it, he has a cpap machine which he has to use when he sleeps which uses high pressure air to keep his breathing passages open.
You'll need to report it for insurance but in our experience doesn't increase the premium.
You can ask for a letter from your consultant to say you must travel with it, airlines will let you carry it as an extra piece of hand luggage as long as you notify them in advance. Never had any issues with security, just goes on the belt with everything else.
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
rcaff
slightly serious Dibber

I have obstructive sleep apnoea and carry my cpap machine in my hand luggage. Even when we have been the last on the plane and everyone else has to put their hand luggage in cargo they find room for mine near my seat. Never increased our insurance.
I do put it away every morning in the hotel as I don’t want any cleaners accidentally knocking it or anything which is a faff but other than that has had no affect on our holidays ! 😊
I was less spring chicken and more permanently exhausted pigeon before so been a positive experience for me

The Caffreys do Disney...Again !
The Wyndham 2005, Grand Plaza 2006, Pop Century 2007, Pop Century 2008, Pop Century 2009, Caribbean Beach Resort 2010, AKL 2012, Pop Century 2013 and 2014, Cabana Bay 2015 & 2016, Coronado springs 2017, Cabana Bay again in 2018 and finally Caribbean Beach 2019
rcaff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pubguv
Proud to wear my Ears

My Partner has one always carries on the aircraft never rings up first just takes it. the only problem is sometimes the bedside table does not always have a power point so we always carry an extension. His one does not have a battery.
pubguv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the replies all. I was worrying it may be an issue for flying but good to know a letter from the consultant is all that’s needed and to take it in hand luggage.

I’m hoping if I do have it, and need the CPAP it will help with me feeling less exhausted.

My insurance is quite costly anyway so a few extra pounds won’t hurt I’m sure. Once I get all the info, I’ll let them know either way.

Does the UK machine work okay with a normal UK to US converter plug? Sorry if that’s a crazy question.. I just know things like my hairdryer don’t but I suppose a CPAP machine is a bit more expensive than that

I’ve read that if it’s mild then they don’t always give you a machine but I’ll know either way by the 19th
Old 8 Apr 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?asking for my girlfriend 😂😩😩😩no seriously she snores alot plus sometimes it sounds like she’s struggling to breath
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ste
Imagineer

Ste's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I had my sleep study Feb 20.. and was told I’d hear in 3 weeks if anything bad and then you know what struck 🙈 got an appointment for December and walked into be greeted with my Cpap.

I’ve gone from napping most of the day everyday to now feeling amazing. Changed my life. Hope you get your answers soon I’ve not travelled with mine yet but already planning taking it camping with me this summer lol!
Old 8 Apr 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Manc1979 View Post
What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?asking for my girlfriend 😂😩😩😩no seriously she snores alot plus sometimes it sounds like she’s struggling to breath
You can do an Epworth score yourself, if it's high then print it off and take it to your GP for a referral.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Manc1979 View Post
I was just exhausted all the time and most mornings was waking up with a headache. I saw my consultant for something else, who did an Epworth questionnaire then referred me. It was all straight forward.

Edited at 10:29 PM.
Old 8 Apr 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
rcaff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
Thanks for the replies all. I was worrying it may be an issue for flying but good to know a letter from the consultant is all that’s needed and to take it in hand luggage.

I’m hoping if I do have it, and need the CPAP it will help with me feeling less exhausted.

My insurance is quite costly anyway so a few extra pounds won’t hurt I’m sure. Once I get all the info, I’ll let them know either way.

Does the UK machine work okay with a normal UK to US converter plug? Sorry if that’s a crazy question.. I just know things like my hairdryer don’t but I suppose a CPAP machine is a bit more expensive than that

I’ve read that if it’s mild then they don’t always give you a machine but I’ll know either way by the 19th
No problem using a US plug, doesn’t affect the machine’s performance

It’s amazing how quickly you realise what it’s like to not feel tired once you get used to using a cpap 😊

The Caffreys do Disney...Again !
The Wyndham 2005, Grand Plaza 2006, Pop Century 2007, Pop Century 2008, Pop Century 2009, Caribbean Beach Resort 2010, AKL 2012, Pop Century 2013 and 2014, Cabana Bay 2015 & 2016, Coronado springs 2017, Cabana Bay again in 2018 and finally Caribbean Beach 2019
rcaff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List