Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Apr 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by klairbear View Post
How do I find out who has registered the incorrect data? I am starting to feel anxious just thinking about it again I don't think I have the original account details (several major life changes since then and I wasn't one to keep letters unfortunately, my fault I know)
Just when I had enough on my plate 😢
The account details are on Credit karma. Just click on the offending account and there will be details.
Experian provide even more details on their reports.
Old 19 Apr 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Nelly7
Excited about Disney

If you haven’t used them before you can get a free months trial with Experian which will enable you to see your full credit report. You just need to cancel it before the end of the month so you don’t get charged.
It may be worth speaking to your local Citizen Advice office, as they can often help.
The reports can often take a while to correct as I found out last year when Virgin Media incorrectly placed a late payment note on my credit file, which stopped me getting a mortgage with Santander.
Good luck
Nelly7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Hi all,

This is a bit of a personal post, no judgement or shaming please (I do that for myself a lot)

About seven years ago I got myself into a massive amount of unsecured debt, almost £45,000 in total, through being silly, various addiction behaviours etc. I had no assets at the time and could have declared bankruptcy but decided that I would literally pay for my mistake, and I rang Stepchange and set up a debt management plan.

I've reduced my debt to just over £13,000 and up till today was feeling proud of myself for this as its not been easy. Then today I've gone into my credit report (on Credit Karma), I check it every few months, and there is a duplicate to one of my debts so now it looks like I owe £18,000. The debt was with Halifax, it defaulted in July 2015 and was sold to a debt collection company. I have continued paying the company since then and Halifax was removed from my report until now.

Through frequent bouts of crying I spoke to Stepchange who tried to reassure me, said they had evidence of the trail of payments I have made and that it was probably a mistake. They advised I call Halifax. I called them and after some rigmarole they said it was nothing to do with them and to raise it with Credit Karma. I haven't done this yet as I was just really triggered and distressed by this point.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it is resolvable? I don't plan to ever be applying for credit cards or personal loans, but may want to move home one day and will need a mortgage. I'm scared all my hard work has been undone (silly I know) and that I'm going to have to pay something twice. Maybe that is my punishment for getting in this state in the first place.

Sorry for the long post, its just really upsetting 😢
Even if you can’t get rid of it or it takes a long time to sort, the default will drop off your credit file after 6 years, so July 2021.
Old 19 Apr 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
As another poster mentioned - get on to moneysavingexpert.com and join their credit club - this generates a report each month and it's in conjunction with Experian. Completely free.

No judgement, again, well done on how you've managed to reduce your debt so drastically.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellemum
Excited about Disney

Hi - I’ve worked in banking and debtsale for years - when a debt is sold the original debtor removes their entry with the credit reference agencies and the debtsale company who will now be the legal owners of the debt can re register it in their name. If it is the name of the Halifax but another company own it - the Halifax will have to remove their entry. If they won’t assist you I would raise a query with all the credit reference agencies and ask them to raise a dispute with the Halifax - they should then contact the Halifax on your behalf to resolve the matter. Alternatively raise a query with the debtsale company and they might be able to contact the Halifax to request that they remove the entry. I hope this helps. The Halifax probably wouldn’t discuss as it’s not their debt any longer - any queries have to go through the debt sale company. Hope this helps it really can be sorted - don’t worry - try the debtsale company first and then if you have no luck the credit reference agencies.

Edited at 11:15 PM.
Bellemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

OP - well done on getting this far with clearing the debt. I’m afraid I can’t help on your question but hope it gets resolved as you’d like. Regardless, kudos on keeping to your plan.
gl20 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just some advice for you, I know you are not after a mortgage yet ...I am no expert, but my job was underwriting mortgages for different circumstances, one being for applicants who appealed a decline decision ( system based) due to credit score history,

The first thing on would do is look at the credit history. In your case I woud see 2 entries (from what you have described with same details though the dates may differ). You could get a notice of correction placed on the initial one to highlight debt had been sold on ..on its own it would mean nothing as basically you can say what you want. I saw lots saying " it was not my fault etc etc" this means nothing without back up.

I would then ask for proof. So in essence what I am saying is keep all documents, letters you send, letters you receive so that there is a trail. So, you hopefully have a letter to say Halifax sold debt on, now you send a letter to Halifax/ new owner of debt explaining duplication and asking them to remove the initial entry, hopefully they will reply saying they will, or the reason why they won't.

In the end, to reassure you, when a "human"asesses an application, if they can see an item is duplicated via these proofs,they will discount the entry and asess accordingly.

Historic debt was not always a reason for me to decline a case, a full and frank explanation together with proof of the person making every effort to repay was always noted.

Sorry for the waffle but I just wanted you to know that whilst it is frustrating it will not necessarily go against you as and when you are wanting to apply for a mortgage, just be prepared for possibly " computer says no" and ask to appeal and have all your correspondence to hand!
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you everyone. I've had a bit of a calmer day. I have decided to wait the six weeks for the next update and see if it has gone again (the company taking over the debt did this two weeks ago so I'm thinking the things are linked). As far as I am aware I am in no immediate need for a credit search, and mortgage plans are at least five years off. I know I'm paying what I need, my plan is still on track, it will be OK.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Thank you everyone. I've had a bit of a calmer day. I have decided to wait the six weeks for the next update and see if it has gone again (the company taking over the debt did this two weeks ago so I'm thinking the things are linked). As far as I am aware I am in no immediate need for a credit search, and mortgage plans are at least five years off. I know I'm paying what I need, my plan is still on track, it will be OK.
You’ll be fine then. Any defaults, ccjs or missed payments will be gone, just make sure you keep up to date with payments going forward and don’t worry about the past.
Old 20 Apr 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I had a nightmare last year when another persons debts somehow ended up on my credit report.
Car loan, credit cards etc, ended up being about £26k in total.. It even had her name associated with the debts.. it months of letters and phones calls to get Experian to remove her from my report. To this day I’ve never had a explanation of how it happened .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List