Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jul 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes we did it in 2019. Absolutely fine driving down,
Incredibly easy drive and I drove late evening for our flight the following morning so very little traffic. Coming home as you can imagine not ideal but not bad enough that I wouldn’t do it again.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
macgasbp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
The train could be an option but we would probably be cheaper taking the indirect flight with BA than the train, rail fares are so expensive now.
As posted the drive home would be the issue after a long flight - remember you will have fuel costs to consider so this may offset some of the rail fare or even the bus
macgasbp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

I would definitely look into indirect via London from gla/edi, so much easier, bags will be checked right though so literally off one flight and then onto another, you could even go down the night before if you preferred, our edi - lhr flight was delayed once so we missed our connection but we were booked straight into the next flight, I usually find our indirect flights from Scotland are same price if not cheaper than the London direct, you also have the advantage of checking in and getting to choose seats on BA flight before the direct travellers, I think I’d spend my last few days dreading the drive home
familybell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I actually view driving to either Manchester or London as still having to travel indirect and not really hugely more beneficial than the indirect flying. BA is usually pretty decent prices and so is Icelandair out of Glasgow. I actually really enjoyed the Icelandair flights that I have done as the stop in Reykjavik is a lot less than in London so feels better on the way back for some reason.

I understand why you are considering it but the drive home is the absolute worst after a night flight and with massive jetlag.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We live near Heathrow and in a few weeks are driving up to Scotland, staying near Crieff, stopping at a Prem Inn in Kendal for the evening (also detour via Peterborough for a wedding the day before)

Have you looked at flights from Glasgow down to LHR? Might save yoh some hastle

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

Hi there is always the Aer Lingus option Glasgow/Edinburgh to Dublin to MCO. We did it once and was fine just the plane from Scotland to Dublin was a bit basic but still got us to the best place on earth ☺
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by frances01 View Post
Hi there is always the Aer Lingus option Glasgow/Edinburgh to Dublin to MCO. We did it once and was fine just the plane from Scotland to Dublin was a bit basic but still got us to the best place on earth ☺
Yeah they went bust (air stobart), who did the regional element so not an option currently.
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Didgey View Post
Yeah they went bust (air stobart), who did the regional element so not an option currently.
The flights are still going, we are due to fly with them in October and they are still being operated. It’s just Stobart Air that went bust when Aer Lingus moved the contract away from them to operate the route. I believe our Edinburgh route is being flown by Aer Lingus themselves now before the route is taken over by Emerald Air as the operators under the Aer Lingus brand.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We’ve flown Glasgow to Orlando via Dublin before and it was a great price at the time. You also have the bonus of clearing US immigration in Dublin and landing in MCO as a domestic passenger, being able to grab your bags and go is lovely after a long flight.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tomsk
Excited about Disney

Have done LDN -> Edinburgh a few times for work driving.. If you get your times right (leave early morning / evening) you should be good i think 7 hours was about average to get up including driving out of Central London.

I was bloody knackered after doing it so would recommend going earlier the day before so you get time to rest - or sleep on the plane
Disneyland Paris &Carribean Beach 2015
Tomsk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List