Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Apr 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Wot no Disney - Well just a smidgeon - July 2018 mainly offsite trip report - Day 11

Wot no Disney - Well just a smidgeon - July 2018 mainly offsite trip report - Day 11

Friday 13th July - Feed Me

Index is here

Went to bed hungry last night and woke up early with my tummy feeling like my throat had been cut! Dh said I was over dramatising but I’ve been hungrier at universal than I am on slimming world at home, no disrespect to club level, I blame my lack of any sort of a plan and Ds and Dh obviously 😂

I tried to encourage Ds and Dh to get up but they were having none of it. I was starving and chomping at the bit to be up and about. So I had a strop, got dressed and stomped off to the lounge by myself just after 8am, so not a crazily unrealistic time for breakfast.

I decided just to have my breakfast and coffee and food made me much less grumpy. The lazy pair didn’t join me at all.

It took till 9.30am before they were ready and eager for their breakfast, by that point I was happy to have another plate.

Ds was now fully obsessed with the pancake machine.

We caught the boat this morning around 10.30 and headed for the Universal park.

We started off with Transformers, then the Mummy for Dh and I, followed by the Fast and the Furious which was ok but to be fair I’ve never really watched much of the movies.

We walked round through Springfield, nobody was really fancying the Simpsons ride but since Ds and Dh had Simpson’s T-shirts on we thought we would take some photos and go to the shop. I love how colourful this area is.

Ds likes to buy himself a comic book from there, these are great souvenirs and not particularly expense. Ds also loves playing about answering the phone.

While we were hanging around the Simpsons came out, so we did photos with them.

Last up for now was the Horror Make Up Show. We all loved this, and it is still one of our favourite things to do at Universal.

On the way out we met Puss in Boots.

We left about 2 and headed to NBC bar and grill for a late lunch. We were seated straight away and caught the end of the tennis.

Dh had an angry orchard then a black cherry cider and I had two grapefruit beers. Ds had Fanta.

We shared 3 appetisers all of which were delicious. The cheese bites, the chicken and bacon flatbread and the pretzel coated calamari.

We really liked it here last time and again it was great.

Our tickets for the Blue Man Group were for tonight, his was a first for us.

We nipped into the lounge for a drink and a snack. All very nice. Also tried a tiny bit of pasta and salad. Dh had a bud and ds had some pasta, he loved it.

Club level menu for tonight

Blue Man Group was fairly quiet but not as quiet as it looks here. It was great fun, we all really enjoyed it. I didn’t take any photos during the show. I’m really glad we did it, although I’m not sure I would have done it more than once

After it was finished we went into Universal via the side entrance. We went on Jimmy Fallon, we are all fans of this. After Hash Tag the Panda was leaning out the window waving, I love him, he is so funny.

We grabbed a pretzel and a blue raspberry icee in the cup.

We walked around to Diagon Alley. I love how pretty the park is as the sun goes down,

We rode Gringotts and then found a spot for the cinematic spectacular so we could see it properly.

Ds was not impressed waiting but he loved the show, as did we. Universal has done a superb job on this, they have added everything they could, music, lasers, fireworks, projections, fountains...it is well worth hanging round to watch. Sorry no photos as we just wanted to take it all in.

It was heaving when we left.

When we left we toyed with the idea of a voodoo donut, yep not happening, the line was hidden away but was about 50 people deep. We headed upstairs to breadbox. We ordered 2 melts to share between the 3 of us. The smokey brisket and the pastrami. Wow these were good, we had one with tater tots and one with fries. Dh had a beer and I had a sprite, ds had an icee in his cup.

These sandwiches were packed. I’m not sure if I can pick a favourite, Dh says the pastrami one was slightly better.

We waddled to the boat and have come straight to bed. I’m not moaning about being hungry tonight😂

Steps: 18k

Highlights: We all agreed it was the Blue Man Group
Old 18 Apr 21, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

Oh no where is the next day ? xx

So enjoying reading about your adventures.
xx
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you managed to feel full at the end of today

Joan
Old 18 Apr 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

I'm also missing travel (and planning!) and really enjoying your report so far!

We've only been to WDW once (return trip in 2020 was cancelled) and I've been busy plotting our return and/or perhaps giving Universal a try. Not sure when this would happen but reading about your adventures is providing me with inspiration to carry on planning
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ilovesnowwhite View Post
Oh no where is the next day ? xx

So enjoying reading about your adventures.
xx
Thank you. I'm on it Next day is ready to post later, just away to watch Line of Duty first!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Glad you managed to feel full at the end of today

Joan
It makes me a happier person It just took us a few days to adjust our timings for snacks and meals.

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
I'm also missing travel (and planning!) and really enjoying your report so far!

We've only been to WDW once (return trip in 2020 was cancelled) and I've been busy plotting our return and/or perhaps giving Universal a try. Not sure when this would happen but reading about your adventures is providing me with inspiration to carry on planning
Thanks for reading.

Do you have a date in mind for going back or are you a bit like us in looking at lots of dates? We've been all over the place with dates, this October, Christmas, February, next Summer, next October... I think I've spent half my school holidays playing on the BA site. We did book February though for Universal as hopefully our next trip, we have time frozen on our annual passes so no tickets to buy makes it a much more affordable choice.

Planning is half the fun. I'm always happy to chat with you about planning.

We love Universal but I still love Disney too. Universal just works out way cheaper for us just now. Disney is so immersive but I'd miss free dining, our Disney stay in July 2019 was great. It was only when incorporated a bit of offsite and Universal in 2016 that began to think about a trip without Disney.
Old 19 Apr 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Thank you. I'm on it Next day is ready to post later, just away to watch Line of Duty first!

It makes me a happier person It just took us a few days to adjust our timings for snacks and meals.

Thanks for reading.

Do you have a date in mind for going back or are you a bit like us in looking at lots of dates? We've been all over the place with dates, this October, Christmas, February, next Summer, next October... I think I've spent half my school holidays playing on the BA site. We did book February though for Universal as hopefully our next trip, we have time frozen on our annual passes so no tickets to buy makes it a much more affordable choice.

Planning is half the fun. I'm always happy to chat with you about planning.

We love Universal but I still love Disney too. Universal just works out way cheaper for us just now. Disney is so immersive but I'd miss free dining, our Disney stay in July 2019 was great. It was only when incorporated a bit of offsite and Universal in 2016 that began to think about a trip without Disney.
I have dates in mind - we're limited to either Easter or Christmas since DD is at school (year 7) and DH teaches at university and has no other term time holiday. I don't think I could cope with the heat in July and our window is narrow even then as DH has to be back at graduation.

I was surprised how little you mentioned the weather in your report so I assume it must have been okay for you all?! I struggled at times in April... Next year is particularly tricky because my DD's and Dh's easter break don't quite overlap which is why I'm now thinking about Christmas 2021.

The other issue is of course our finite resources I'm just not sure I can justify buying both sets of tickets in one break, but I know we can't go to Orlando without visiting Disney. But I just can't imagine loving Universal as much as we loved Disney, though I could, of course, be wrong. Perhaps the evening events at Disney are the way to go, if and when they return.

Also, not sure what December would be like at Universal without an express pass? The deluxe resorts would be too pricey for us for the entire stay. I do like the look of the hotels at Universal.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
I have dates in mind - we're limited to either Easter or Christmas since DD is at school (year 7) and DH teaches at university and has no other term time holiday. I don't think I could cope with the heat in July and our window is narrow even then as DH has to be back at graduation.

I was surprised how little you mentioned the weather in your report so I assume it must have been okay for you all?! I struggled at times in April... Next year is particularly tricky because my DD's and Dh's easter break don't quite overlap which is why I'm now thinking about Christmas 2021.

The other issue is of course our finite resources I'm just not sure I can justify buying both sets of tickets in one break, but I know we can't go to Orlando without visiting Disney. But I just can't imagine loving Universal as much as we loved Disney, though I could, of course, be wrong. Perhaps the evening events at Disney are the way to go, if and when they return.

Also, not sure what December would be like at Universal without an express pass? The deluxe resorts would be too pricey for us for the entire stay. I do like the look of the hotels at Universal.
We are the same as I’m a primary school teacher so stuck to set dates. At least Ds and I are in the same authority so even though he is now S2 at High School our dates are always the same. What a shame April is out for you.

July is our normal time for visiting. Since having Ds We’ve been 5 times in July, once at Easter, once at Christmas and once in February. It’s hot and sticky in July but we manage with lots of air conditioning. The 2018 trip was not bad weather wise. 2019 we had lots of crazy rain and some absolutely melting days. I found April heat more dry and weird that a slight wind didn’t mean a storm was coming 😂

We used to feel like that about Universal but the more time we’ve spent there the more we’ve loved it, it’s not better than Disney just different and definitely more chilled with no planning needed. Our original plan was to do year about. 2016 we did everything, 2017 we did mainly Disney, I ended up changing resorts to fund the universal bit at the end, 2018 Universal and off-site, 2019 Disney plus a wee bit universal because we had passes and 2020 should have been offsite and Universal again... who knows what summer 2022 will be.

Strangely I was pricing up Christmas yesterday, we won’t be doing it though as MIL doesn’t want to travel and we wouldn’t leave her on her own. The prices seemed ok. I agree and think you’d want at least some express pass time which you could book 1 or 2 nights at an express pass hotel to get and stay mainly in a cheaper universal resort. Maybe 1 annual preferred pass Would help with 10% off food and cheaper ( but not guaranteed) hotel rates? It’s a thought.

That said Disney is the most magical place in the world for Christmas. Crazy but magical. We did it in 2018 and it was absolutely amazing. There is a trip report in my signature. We did Christmas Eve to 4th January. We didn’t visit universal at all in that trip but I’d like to do Universal at Christmas at some point. Where at Disney would you stay if you did Christmas?
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

We are the same as I’m a primary school teacher so stuck to set dates. At least Ds and I are in the same authority so even though he is now S2 at High School our dates are always the same. What a shame April is out for you.

July is our normal time for visiting. Since having Ds We’ve been 5 times in July, once at Easter, once at Christmas and once in February. It’s hot and sticky in July but we manage with lots of air conditioning. The 2018 trip was not bad weather wise. 2019 we had lots of crazy rain and some absolutely melting days. I found April heat more dry and weird that a slight wind didn’t mean a storm was coming 😂

We used to feel like that about Universal but the more time we’ve spent there the more we’ve loved it, it’s not better than Disney just different and definitely more chilled with no planning needed. Our original plan was to do year about. 2016 we did everything, 2017 we did mainly Disney, I ended up changing resorts to fund the universal bit at the end, 2018 Universal and off-site, 2019 Disney plus a wee bit universal because we had passes and 2020 should have been offsite and Universal again... who knows what summer 2022 will be.

Strangely I was pricing up Christmas yesterday, we won’t be doing it though as MIL doesn’t want to travel and we wouldn’t leave her on her own. The prices seemed ok. I agree and think you’d want at least some express pass time which you could book 1 or 2 nights at an express pass hotel to get and stay mainly in a cheaper universal resort. Maybe 1 annual preferred pass Would help with 10% off food and cheaper ( but not guaranteed) hotel rates? It’s a thought.

That said Disney is the most magical place in the world for Christmas. Crazy but magical. We did it in 2018 and it was absolutely amazing. There is a trip report in my signature. We did Christmas Eve to 4th January. We didn’t visit universal at all in that trip but I’d like to do Universal at Christmas at some point. Where at Disney would you stay if you did Christmas?
I read your Christmas report! It seemed you had such a fantastic trip - I was genuinely quite moved by how well you all got on, your mother in law is such a good sport. How wonderful it is for you all to share that experience, and especially for your son to share it with his grandmother.

Our budget for a Disney stay is probably more moderate than deluxe so would probably return to CSR (which we loved in 2019) or possibly opt for the Swan as would love the proximity to Epcot and HS, even though I'm not keen on the style of the resort. I would love a night or two at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge, the latter looks particularly beautiful at Christmas. But then again, trying to keep cost down.

Regarding the annual pass for Universal, where and when would we upgrade the ticket? And much would it be to upgrade the 14 day UK ticket for an annual ticket? It's unlikely we'd return within a year so would only be upgrading one. We are celebrating a special anniversary in summer 2022 so hoping to go to California (hence also trying to keep cost down of a potential Christmas trip, which I suppose is more of a 'bonus' trip.) Of course, with Covid everything feels so uncertain, I daren't really book anything just yet.
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
I read your Christmas report! It seemed you had such a fantastic trip - I was genuinely quite moved by how well you all got on, your mother in law is such a good sport. How wonderful it is for you all to share that experience, and especially for your son to share it with his grandmother.

Our budget for a Disney stay is probably more moderate than deluxe so would probably return to CSR (which we loved in 2019) or possibly opt for the Swan as would love the proximity to Epcot and HS, even though I'm not keen on the style of the resort. I would love a night or two at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge, the latter looks particularly beautiful at Christmas. But then again, trying to keep cost down.

Regarding the annual pass for Universal, where and when would we upgrade the ticket? And much would it be to upgrade the 14 day UK ticket for an annual ticket? It's unlikely we'd return within a year so would only be upgrading one. We are celebrating a special anniversary in summer 2022 so hoping to go to California (hence also trying to keep cost down of a potential Christmas trip, which I suppose is more of a 'bonus' trip.) Of course, with Covid everything feels so uncertain, I daren't really book anything just yet.
Thanks. We are a tiny family so it’s really just her and us, I think that can change the family dynamic. She cane to Disney with us the first time we took Ds and loved it so it was great she wanted to go back, although she would never have come back with us on a summer trip. She paid for the Christmas hotels which was lovely of her. The Contemporary was my bucket list hotel and we all loved it.

The Swan would be a great location as you’d have the skyliner, boats and the walk to Epcot or HS. I’ve not stayed at CSR but it looks lovely. We really liked POR French Quarter last time. I was looking at Art of Animation as it’s another one I love.

I think an annual pass upgrade to preffered would be about £50. You’d only need one if it wasn’t covering a return trip. That’s the 2 park one.

It would only be worth it I think if you were doing a longer universal stay as the discounts mount up on food or if you wanted to try and pick up a couple of nights booking a hotel on the annual pass rate. We’ve had RPR as low as $199 for a night. You don’t need an annual pass at the time of booking only during your stay.

I agree it’s a lot to buy 2 sets of tickets. I love Universal but if you have me a straight choice of Disney or Universal at Christmas not having done it before it would be Disney that would come out top.

California would be amazing. Are you thinking Disney and some other places?

It’s our 20th wedding anniversary this summer and 20 years since our first onsite Disney stay for the honeymoon. It was always meant to be a Disney trip with some nights at the Contemporary, oh well. Dh is 50 in January so he’s claimed the February Universal trip as his 50th treat.
Old 19 Apr 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks. We are a tiny family so it’s really just her and us, I think that can change the family dynamic. She cane to Disney with us the first time we took Ds and loved it so it was great she wanted to go back, although she would never have come back with us on a summer trip. She paid for the Christmas hotels which was lovely of her. The Contemporary was my bucket list hotel and we all loved it.

The Swan would be a great location as you’d have the skyliner, boats and the walk to Epcot or HS. I’ve not stayed at CSR but it looks lovely. We really liked POR French Quarter last time. I was looking at Art of Animation as it’s another one I love.

I think an annual pass upgrade to preffered would be about £50. You’d only need one if it wasn’t covering a return trip. That’s the 2 park one.

It would only be worth it I think if you were doing a longer universal stay as the discounts mount up on food or if you wanted to try and pick up a couple of nights booking a hotel on the annual pass rate. We’ve had RPR as low as $199 for a night. You don’t need an annual pass at the time of booking only during your stay.

I agree it’s a lot to buy 2 sets of tickets. I love Universal but if you have me a straight choice of Disney or Universal at Christmas not having done it before it would be Disney that would come out top.

California would be amazing. Are you thinking Disney and some other places?

It’s our 20th wedding anniversary this summer and 20 years since our first onsite Disney stay for the honeymoon. It was always meant to be a Disney trip with some nights at the Contemporary, oh well. Dh is 50 in January so he’s claimed the February Universal trip as his 50th treat.
The annual pass seems like an excellent idea, thanks. I've just looked again today on Travel Republic and as you said, there are some decent rates for the Christmas period. I'm just going around in circles with it all, trying to do the impossible - do it all but keep costs down I want to give Universal a try, but if we were going at Christmas we can't not do Disney.

My California plan is also ever-evolving. I initially thought we would start at San Francisco, travel along the PCH, then do LA (including Universal) and finish with Disneyland. However, I'm not sure my daughter would find the PCH part quite as exciting as her parents and I have this vision of her in the back of the car, with her head down her phone... So I'm thinking perhaps of dropping San Francisco, and doing LA, Disneyland and San Diego instead. We've been to San Diego when DD was 3 (we were living in the US at the time) and really enjoyed it. Dreamy weather too.

We're on similar celebration schedule, it's our 25th anniversary in 2022 and my husband will be 50 in 2023 so we have every reason to go 'bigger and better'. I also feel that we have to make up for the 'Covid years' - before we know it DD would be too cool to go away with mum and dad