Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 16 May 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Cake filling?

Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology 🙈
It’s getting close to when I bake my very first cake 🎂 which is for my daughter’s 18th
I am confident in the decoration because I am basically going to throw all her favourite chocolates onto it.
The cake is going to be a chocolate cake and I plan to do three layers. So its one big cake rather than a tiered cake.
But what do I put in between each layer?
Its can’t be jam because my youngest is allergic to jam but I don’t think jam is right for a chocolate cake anyway.
I need something easy but tasty 😜
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
If you want easy what about a tub of Betty crocker chocolate fudge icing?
Old 16 May 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
So that can go in between layers not just on top? X x
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My eldest daughter has just started her own little cake business and we are always been sent over new bakes !
She does use a lot of different flavour butter creams when customers ask for no jam fillings .
Maybe you could try a dark fruit butter cream like raspberry/ cherry to compliment the chocolate sponge ?
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MilliesFairy
Proud to wear my Ears

I'd make a whipped chocolate ganache - mix together equal amounts of double cream and melted dark chocolate, chill it in the fridge and then whisk it to make it like a fluffy buttercream. Its really easy to make and lighter than buttercream.
MilliesFairy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
So that can go in between layers not just on top? X x
Yes it can x
Old 16 May 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
My eldest daughter has just started her own little cake business and we are always been sent over new bakes !
She does use a lot of different flavour butter creams when customers ask for no jam fillings .
Maybe you could try a dark fruit butter cream like raspberry/ cherry to compliment the chocolate sponge ?
He can’t have any form of fruit 🙈🙈
Old 16 May 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MilliesFairy View Post
I'd make a whipped chocolate ganache - mix together equal amounts of double cream and melted dark chocolate, chill it in the fridge and then whisk it to make it like a fluffy buttercream. Its really easy to make and lighter than buttercream.
Oh I could definitely manage that 👍🏻👍🏻
Can you use milk chocolate or white chocolate? Or does it need to be dark?
Old 16 May 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Lotus Biscoff spread - it's amazing as a cake filling.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
The Betty Crocker choc fudge is delicious!

If you get it it, remember to beat it first to soften it and make it easier to spread. I just use a rigid knife or fork of some kind and beat it right in the container it comes in.

When spreading it on your cake, having a glass of hot water nearby to keep dipping your knife in (damp, not dripping) is helpful, too. It stops the frosting sticking to the knife.

BTW, I have an angled palette knife, which is so useful. Something like this, (not for the beating, just for the spreading and smoothing!)

bakedin/products/angle...tte-knife-20cm

If you want to put the fudge frosting on top, but have something lighter in the layers, you could do a lighter buttercream

Something like this looks good and the site gives lots of tips. Don't worry if it makes it sound a bit more complicated than it is - don't be fooled, it's straightforward really. But tips can sometimes help. Just pick what works for you.

bakingbutterlylove/simpl...not-too-sweet/

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List