Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jul 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Dangers of swimming in lochs

An awful tragedy,so sad.

bbc/news/uk-scotla...t-57962111.amp

Edited at 03:06 PM.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

So sad there have been so many lives lost in the water over the past 7 days
Old 25 Jul 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

So sad and so many people swimming in the Thames including kids that have no adults with them. Recently a 16 year old boy lost his life swimming in the Thames and on the same day a woman was found dead in the Thames (the news barely covers these tragedies).

Many of the teenagers are jumping off bridges into the Thames often with serious injuries.

Not quite the same, but Ruislip Lido near me had big fencing erected this week because how dangerous the quality of the stagnant water is, but I’ve seen pictures of loads of people finding a way into the disgusting water and many small/young kids in the water helped by their parents (imagine having parents that thick).

Edited at 03:18 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I have been reading too many of these tragic stories this week, please stick to the beach or get a paddling pool, the risk is just too much. Absolutely heart breaking to read xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I don’t think people realise the effect of really cold water on the body which can make it very difficult to breathe. Lochs and rivers may look safe but are very dangerous indeed.
The number of recent tragedies in fresh water is heartbreaking.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
So sad and so many people swimming in the Thames including kids that have no adults with them. Recently a 16 year old boy lost his life swimming in the Thames and on the same day a woman was found dead in the Thames (the news barely covers these tragedies).

Many of the teenagers are jumping off bridges into the Thames often with serious injuries.

Not quite the same, but Ruislip Lido near me had big fencing erected this week because how dangerous the quality of the stagnant water is, but I’ve seen pictures of loads of people finding a way into the disgusting water and many small/young kids in the water helped by their parents (imagine having parents that thick).
I never ever go to the lido when it’s the holidays as it’s just full of undesirables…I saw some of those photos of people trying to get it. Complete idiots, and would be the first to complain if they got ill or something awful happened.

We’re going to Scotland and staying by a loch, my teens will not be swimming in them!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I took my 16 year old ds in the river when it was 30 plus degrees last week
I had a tow float and even though he kicked against it I insisted only letting him in if he used the rubber ring we have 😂
We both enjoyed it and felt safe

I just know how the shock and the sudden depth of the water can take you off guard and effect your breathing, coupled with the under current and poor water visibility
Old 25 Jul 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

My boys and myself love open water swimming. Far better than a pool, but, even when it’s hot I wear a wetsuit. Makes it impossible to sink so not only protects you but also means that nobody is going to have to risk their lives to rescue you.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I never ever go to the lido when it’s the holidays as it’s just full of undesirables…I saw some of those photos of people trying to get it. Complete idiots, and would be the first to complain if they got ill or something awful happened.

We’re going to Scotland and staying by a loch, my teens will not be swimming in them!
If they enjoy swimming, and as long as they wear a wetsuit, you (and your kids) should give it a go. Honestly it’s amazing and very therapeutic.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I have been reading too many of these tragic stories this week, please stick to the beach or get a paddling pool, the risk is just too much. Absolutely heart breaking to read xx
Really the sea is the most dangerous, waves plus incredibly cold water plus tides etc.
On the whole lakes are far safer, but there obviously are exceptions and you need to be sensible and do your research