Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fefster View Post
I felt a bit airsick on VA Upper because of the seat config facing in. Also, the food was diabolical.
Seats were amazing though.
I'm not bothered about the food. It's the fact that I'll be able to lie flat is what's cinched it for me - I might be able to get some sleep then.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I'm not bothered about the food. It's the fact that I'll be able to lie flat is what's cinched it for me - I might be able to get some sleep then.
That's the only reason I like BA ClubWorld. I get a good sleep coming home and even an hours doze on the way out, keeps me awake long enough to get to the hotel !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
florida2000
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve flown many many times BA CW and a few time Virgin UC. BA crew are hit and miss. At their best they are really great but can be terrible - and often are. Virgin UC crew have been really good each time. I prefer the BA seat as you can control it at all reclines right to flat. With UC it reclines but not enough for my liking. I always want it to recline slightly more but it stops and the only option is to get up and then ‘flip’ it to flat.

To OP, I’m sure you will have a great UC experience. It makes the whole flight an enjoyable experience rather than a chore!
1995 Port Orleans/Key West, 1996/1997 QII 2000/2001 Vistana Resort, 2003/2004 Disneyland Paris, 2005 Vistana Resort, 2006 Vistana Villages 2007/2008/2009/2010 Emerald Island 2011 California 2012/2013 twice/2014 Highgrove 2015 Nashville/Hawaii/New York 2016/2017/2018/2019 Various Villas 2020 Covid-19 CANCELLATION2022 Villa 2023 Villa
florida2000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 01:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Mobile

Just to clear up a couple of points...

You’ll only get a chauffeur on the most expensive UC fares. Most leisure travellers don’t book these.

I have found the main meal superb on every UC flight originating in U.K. The light bites can be questionable and the return leg can sometimes be not as good... but I have yet to have a meal service I would describe as diabolical.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cantcook View Post
Just to clear up a couple of points...

You’ll only get a chauffeur on the most expensive UC fares. Most leisure travellers don’t book these.

I have found the main meal superb on every UC flight originating in U.K. The light bites can be questionable and the return leg can sometimes be not as good... but I have yet to have a meal service I would describe as diabolical.
I agree with this. The food has always been excellent for airline food, but will never be good restaurant quality - how can it be when it is prepared in a tin tube with limited facilities at 30k feet.
I have never had a poor meal as such.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
In fairness it's not the fault of the food or the airline in most cases.

"The tests revealed that the cabin atmosphere—pressurized at 8,000 feet—combined with the cool, dry cabin air "makes your taste buds go numb, almost as if you had a cold," explained Mickels. In fact, our perception of saltiness and sweetness drops by around 30 percent at high altitude. It also doesn't help that the decreased humidity in the cabin dries out your nose and dulls the olfactory sensors essential for tasting the flavor of an ingredient or dish"

There was a story I read recently where an airline had been getting very poor reviews for their wines in First Class. So the brought in a top Sommelier to try and find why. When he tasted the wine he thought it was very good and could not understand the problem. Eventually he heard of the altitude issue, so they started buying in wine and tasting them on a test fight to see. I believe their ratings soared after this.

However bad food on the ground is just going to be worse in the air.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL

Edited at 08:58 AM.
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Cupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Cupcake's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
It's an unpopular opinion on here, but I'm not a fan of UC. That's not to say it's bad, because it's not, I just don't think it sits high enough above PE in what I'm looking for out of an airline product for the price increase. I usually fly using miles which is typically twice the miles price for UC than PE. I'm not getting twice the experience, so I'd rather take two trips in PE.

Having said that, it's still well above Club (can't stand that product) so if you liked that, you'll enjoy UC.
I actually agree with you about UC and we have been lucky enough to fly that way about 6 times now. Last year we were in PE using the virgin credit card upgrade vouchers. I actually much preferred PE. I preferred being able to see and talk to my son and husband. The seats reclined enough to be comfortable, I actually don't like the laying flat beds as seemed to make me feel queasy.

This year we are actually in BA Club World for the first time, not sure I am going to like it and don't like the fact that it;s cost us £400 ish to reserve seats whereas VA is free, so I won't be repeating the BA club flights again, even with the 2-4-1 voucher from the credit card.