Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Ppl who have transferred through Atlanta

So travelling from Man to Key west stopping at Atlanta. Could anyone please advise
Do I have to pick luggage up and recheck in?
I assume I clear immigration here?
I have 2:30 layover is this enough time do you think?
I need to get from I to S is this far and how do I do this?
Oo one last thing booking my seats Tues (the free 72hrs). Is there an order Virgin clear the plane if so where should I ask for so hopefully that might make a bit of time up.

Thank you
Old 20 May 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

You go through immigration (there are kiosks as well but you might have to ask to use them)

Then you pick up your cases, go through customs and then drop your cases off again.

Then you go through security with your hand luggage

Then you need to head downstairs for the train. There will be sign boards to tell you what terminal and gate your flight is going from. You will be going from I (international) terminal to your next stop which could be 5 stops on the train.

It is hard to go wrong really - it's all well laid out even where there is construction work going on.

The only hold up we had was the security line after customs but I think that was something going on up front

The plane will be cleared from the front so the nearer you can get the better

2.5 hours should be fine - we made it in 40 minutes.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MissDisneylover
Excited about Disney

MissDisneylover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Hi,
Last year we stopped at Atlanta. It was much easier than I thought it would be. The luggage was transferred on to the next plane we were boarding. We had to go through immigration and security. the best part about this is getting to Orlando and not having to wait for ages in the immigration line as we had already cleared it in Atlanta. We only had a 2 hour layover time and had plenty of time. Atlanta has a train sort of thing that takes you from I to S, You will be on the train for about 5 minutes. If you go on Atlanta airport website they have a map you can look at.
As for the last question I am pretty sure but not certain they clear the plane starting with upper class then premium then front to back of the plane. I wouldn't worry about the time problem you have plenty of time.
I was worried about missing the flight but most passengers on your connecting flight will be waiting in the long queues just like you. The worst that would happen is you have to get a different flight an hour later or something but 2 and half hours is enough time so I wouldn't worry.
Old 20 May 18, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetums
VIP Dibber

Hi, we did this route in 2014, things may have changed since then, but we went through immigration there, grabbed baggage, went through customs, placed baggage back on a different conveyor belt, headed to the tram, didn't go all the way to the end (if you did you had to go through security again!) and got off the tram at the correct stop for our gate. It was very simple, and we wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The only issue we had was a 5 hour delay in Atlanta due to a storm in Miami. No information was given out by Delta, I think some people managed to get put onto an earlier flight, but at that point it was only showing a 2 hour delay, so meant we could grab some food, look in the shops and relax for a couple of extra hours. I think at that point it may have been simpler, and quicker to drive down from Atlanta, but there were 10 of us in total.
2016 Shamu Sanctuary Dibb Villa WDW - 2017 DLP
2018 CBR WDW Halloween 2019 West Coast trip
2019 CBR WDW December
2022 CBR WDW December
Sweetums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Thanks all seems straight forward the key is the immigration q! I’ve read some horror stories where 2.5 hrs isn’t enough and I’ve just checked and the flight we are catching is the last one! So what happens if i miss it(I need to be prepared so I know what im doing). Who would be responsible for overnight cost?
Isn’t immigration and customs the same bit?
Old 21 May 18, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

You will be fine. I know this for a fact. The airline will look after you. However I believe you have more than enough time just be ready for your checks and off you go !
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazzie
Trading Disney Pins

2.30 Hrs in Atlanta is more than enough, you will have plenty of time for a rest break, bite to eat and a drink. Atlanta is a great airport, certainly one of my favourites for changeovers.
Dazzie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Don’t worry you have plenty of time we did it in 45 minutes in August, our layover was only 1hr 50 minutes and I had spent months worrying for nothing.
Old 22 May 18, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful!
Are there plenty of ppl who will help if we get stuck?
Old 22 May 18, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Can only speak for Delta Airlines. They were tremendous. Very confident and very reassuring. They made things happen
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List