Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 May 18, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisBloke
A Guest at All-Stars

Indirect Flights Questions

OK so we have our hotel/tickets booked through ATD to stay at Coronado Springs from 31Mar to 14Apr next year. On a bit of a budget, so considering indirect flights from Manchester for the first time as we've always flown direct before.

Looking on Skyscanner/Kayak etc flights always seem to be cheapest when booked through sites I've never heard of before like GoToGate etc rather than the operators which throws up a few worries:

Are these legit sites and will I get a confirmation from the operator that I'm actually booked on the flight?

Are there any downsides of booking via these sites rather than the operator?

If for some reason I miss the connecting flight (delay on original/slow immigration etc) is this tough luck and I'll have to fork out for another flight or will they just put me on the next flight? Some of the connections seem to be impossible like 1hr in Atlanta, I obviously wouldn't book this but seems odd to have it as an option if it's not possible?

I know the holiday is 10months away, but it's kind of stressing me out to not have the flights sorted but the holiday booked. Am I worrying too much/should I wait longer to possibly get cheaper flights?

Sorry for all the questions!

Paul.

Edited at 11:11 AM.
DisBloke is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

I generally will only book with people I recognise, and often the savings are very small in proportion to the cost.

You will need to clear immigration on way in so if you fly to Atlanta and then connect to MCO I would allow at least 2 hours.
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DisBloke
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks, although even leaving 2 hours the connection could be missed, wondering what happens.
DisBloke is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisBloke View Post
Thanks, although even leaving 2 hours the connection could be missed, wondering what happens.
If the flight is ticketed as a single airline (i.e. all BA, or BA/AA/Aer Lingus but booked through BA) Then the airline will get you on the next available flight.

If you book the flights separately, then the airline is only responsible for the flight you booked with them

I would always choose the airlines web sites not a third party, as they can take your money and only book the flights closer to the time (Money in their account getting interest)
With a direct purchase with the airline, you are loaded to the plane straight away (Even though you either pay for seats or wait until closer for seats)

My personal view. there are many who book through a third party with no issues.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

For internal domestic flights (US) I often go to a Kayak or Expedia site and find the flight I am interested. I then go to the airline website and book it. I get the same price or sometimes a dollar or two cheaper.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Third party bookings are OK but problematic sometimes (depending on who) if you want to upgrade, make changes or select seats.

If you book thorough a third party you won't get any acknowledgement of booking from the operator the third party will get that

As above I prefer to book direct myself with the airline then only they or I can mess things up. Add in a third party and you immediately make the chance of issues 50% greater as there are now three parties who could make an error not just two
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
stace19
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We fly out a few days after you from Glasgow. We booked our flights last night through skyscanner with opodo, flying with icelandair £1800 for 2 adults and 2 kids great stopover times, also 23kg hold luggage and 10kg hand luggage All references were linked straight away.
We've never flown indirect before and were a bit apprehensive about booking flights separate aswell, but the flights were a steal.
Old 23 May 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Does anyone have an airport of choice for their layover? I saw Atlanta getting a lot of love yesterday.
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicki G
Imagineer

Nicki G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 7
We are flying indirect for the first time this year. As is always the risk the time for the flight home has been changed 3 times since booking meaning we have gone from 2 1/2 hr layover to 52 mins. Travelling with 2 young children I am not looking forward to this as there is a risk we will miss connection. I have been assured that as its a Delta/Virgin flight we will be accommodated if we miss second flight but cant say I am not still dreading it. We are flying MCO-JFK-MAN

Nicki
Nicki G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captbnut View Post
Does anyone have an airport of choice for their layover? I saw Atlanta getting a lot of love yesterday.
Dublin
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List