Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 May 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Virgin Airmiles collecting

Is it worth collecting these please?

How many do I need to get a reward flight to Orlando? How much did you pay.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I collect them with DH, I actively started towards the end of 2016 and we currently have around 230,000 between us. I am saving them to hopefully get 6 reward flights in 2021. Lots of info on Virgin Atlantic webpage as to how many points you need as it really differs pending what time of year you fly.
Old 22 May 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I paid 32,500 for pe one way and 57,500 one way uc per person for this August
Old 22 May 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Hank
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have used them over the years and had a few free flights, apart from paying the Tax £240 per person which was great.

However I spoke to them yesterday and you cannot use Reward Seats in Economy Delight which is a nonsense the guy said I could only get those seat using miles plus money for those seats.

Hank
Hank is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

We used 135000 miles and paid £622 in taxes for 3 economy return flights (2 adults 1 15yr old) this August, we are flying out of Glasgow and back into Manchester as there was no Manchester outbound miles flights available at the time of booking so it helps to be flexible with dates and airports. They are certainly worth collecting.
Old 22 May 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Very worth it, although we don't really go out of our way to collect, we simply:

- have the black (£140 per year) Virgin Atlantic credit cards
- do all our food shopping and petrol purchasing at Tesco and convert the Clubcard points to miles.

We've had couples special occasion trips to New York in Upper Class, taken my mum in addition to my own family of 4 to Florida Upper Class and flown PE most other Summers.

People will often say that it's difficult to get availability in the school Summer holidays, but we've always managed it, generally by booking early. However, last Summer we booked on the 24th July to fly there on the 2nd August and back on the 24th August all PE using miles.

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 08:04 PM.
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
draperm25
Excited about Disney

draperm25's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Very worth it, although we don't really go out of our way to collect, we simply:

- have the black (£140 per year) Virgin Atlantic credit cards
- do all our food shopping and petrol purchasing at Tesco and convert the Clubcard points to miles.

We've had couples special occasion trips to New York in Upper Class, taken my mum in addition to my own family of 4 to Florida Upper Class and flown PE most other Summers.

People will often say that it's difficult to get availability in the school Summer holidays, but we've always managed it, generally by booking early. However, last Summer we booked on the 24th July to fly there on the 2nd August and back on the 24th August all PE using miles.
I’m doing the same for the first time. Do you know if you can use the points in the end of September mid October?
draperm25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by draperm25 View Post
I’m doing the same for the first time. Do you know if you can use the points in the end of September mid October?
Not sure I understand the question, but miles can be used all year round subject to availability.

Sometimes, it pays to be flexible, so be prepared to move a flight by a few days and/or go into or out of Miami if that works.

It's also worth saying that if you, say, search for 4 PE flights and there's no availability, don't be downhearted as there may be 3 seats available that you could book and then pay cash for the final one.

Also remember if you have the VA credit cards and use it enough you'll qualify for Economy -> PE upgrades when you use miles, again subject to availability.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Redriva
Imagineer

They are totally worth collecting..

I have booked reward flights using them a few times - and got our flights for next Feb for 25,000 miles each and a total cost of £786! (2 adults, a teen & child) ...

the best deal I have had with them was in Feb 2013 (over the school half-term)when I got 4 flights (Econ out & PE back) for 3 adults & 1 child.. paid £968 for flights that would have cost just over £3200 if I'd paid cash ... cant beat that!
Old 22 May 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

As above, using the black (or whatever they're calling the top tier on the new scheme) card for all purchases will rack up the miles quite quickly. Last flight to MCO was 25k miles and £400 taxes return in PE, but that was using the free economy to PE upgrade voucher that you got by meeting a spend threshold using the black card. Normally it would be 45k miles return (in off peak) for PE, taxes remain the same.

Personally, I've stopped collecting them as my budget priorities have changed without even going into the devalued miles offerings. But if you know you're going to fly VS anyway (I'm not loyal to any airline) then it's better to collect them than not so would use at least the basic card for spends, unless you have a different rewards scheme that provides more of a return.

Edited at 09:25 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List