Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 11 Feb 22, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Looking forward to this 😊

Shame about the LHR breakfast
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Peut-Ętre
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Day 1 - VS91 Premium Economy Main Meal

Well after the marathon from the Amex Lounge to the Gate, I was well ready for another drink... Or three. It's holiday after all.

Glass of prosecco as they were boarding (featuring my tiny hand prop)... After this point, it was as much Amarula as I could snag... Is it just me or did they shrink the little bottles even more?

It was soon time for food. I believe the options were Jerk Chicken or Vegan Pesto Pasta. Easy decision.

Now, the starter, which was meant to be a pea frittata could only be likened to a magic eraser with a lone pea that had accidentally found its way in.

However, the main made up for the abomination of a starter. The chicken was nice and spicy, but still had flavour. It was not over salted like plane food regularly is, and the veg was surprisingly not straw like. The rice was kinda like a knock off Uncle Ben's Microwave Pouch but no complaints about that here.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the desert. I can't bare cheesecake. Cheese and cake separately are perfect, together are just wrong.

The wine was decent too.

Now for a short rant about the most disappointing moment of the flight. Now I know Britain isn't exactly the first country that springs to mind when it comes to frozen delights. However, we have a few humble ice lollies that are classics. So why on earth did Virgin choose to swap out beloved Fabs for some healthy alternative that resembled a carrot in both looks, and taste. There is not a chance that it was a cost effective decision... nothing organic comes cheap. So please, someone explain why they'd do something so cruel. Unfortunately, no photos, but if you want to try this disgraceful example of an ice lolly, please visit your local Health Food store.

I didn't photograph the afternoon tea either because I was too busy watching Jungle Cruise. But, it was a scone that had been baked within an inch of its life with a small cheese roll that pretty much tasted like the plastic wrapper it was encased in. The lady in the row next to me did a great job of accidentally throwing it on the floor so she didn't have to eat it, which I was almost tempted to do too, but I behaved myself.

The Wonder Wall was excellent as always... Although, due to the questionable items on the main menu, it quickly emptied... Something which seemed to shock the cabin crew. I would highly recommend the vegan gummy bears, they are incredible, and a great alternative to Candy Kittens which seem to have also gotten the chop. The chocolate covered pretzel bites are also a good shout if you fancy something less sweet.

After all that, we were soon landing in chilly Orlando, where the start of this culinary adventure could truly take off...
Peut-Ętre is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 22, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Peut-Ętre

Day 1 - AKL's The Mara

Well, after a long day of travelling. We were finally checked into Kidani Village. I know this is a food report, but shout-out to the two lads at the front desk who made a series of IT issues enjoyable and found me offering them "a hand" just as funny as I did (or at least pretended to).

So before the trek to our Savannah View room, it was decided we would need some fuel to get us there. Off to the shuttle over to Jambo House to explore the infamous quick service so often raved about.

I opted for the Braai Chicken Flatbread which was just... meh. Pieces of the chicken were completely inedible and rock hard. The flavours were okay, but honestly there was a horrendous smell of overused/stale cooking oil in the restaurant that seemed to have tainted the food. It was also kind of filthy which didn't help, and I was glad I had my antibac spray with me to give the table a good spritz.

As a Root Beer addict and veteran free DDPer, I had already decided that a refillable mug was a non negotiable. The bleak QS experience was improved by the several visits to the drinks station before we went to the room.

I also picked up some Zebra Domes for the room which whilst were Amarulay and therefore right up my street, I did admittedly forget about the 2 leftover in the fridge.

Would I return? Only for the root beer. There are better QS options, both in value and taste.

Overall Rating: 4/10

Edited at 09:53 PM.
Peut-Ętre is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Peut-Ętre

Day 2 Part 1 - AK Snacks

As with any trip, I like to begin the holiday with a morning at Animal Kingdom.

After reading the rave reviews about the Night Blossom from Pongu Pongu Refreshments in Pandora it was time to see if it lived up to the hype... And for me it does!

I love a bubble tea in the summer, and this one did not disappoint. The slushy itself had a really nice flavour (fruity yet marshmallowy). The boba pearls did push on the edge of being too sweet, so if you are not one for sugar in the morning maybe wait until you're leaving to grab this one. Also, one would definitely be good to share between two in my opinion.

Would I have it again? In the heat, yes. In the cold, maybe not again.

DVC Discount? No 😭

Overall Rating: 7/10

A little while later, it was time for food, and we opted for Restaurantosaurus (although I would have preferred Yak & Yeti QS had we not had dinner plans later on). This place is great in terms of options and plenty of seating.

The bucket and spade filled with chicken for kids (and big kids) was tempting, but I opted for a 50th Anniversary Special - Walt's Chilli Cheese Fries.

So, here's my review on this limited time option. Is it really a small portion? Yes. Is the chilli different to the regular WDW slop? Yes. Do I have any regrets? Yes... I regret not getting more items with Walt's Chilli because it was so so so so good. 😭

Would I return? Definitely, great options with something for everyone.

DVC Discount? 10% 😎

Overall Rating: 7/10
Old 17 Feb 22, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Peut-Ętre

Day 2 - Le Cellier

After a brief siesta back in the room, it was time for our early evening reservation at my dearest Le Cellier.

There was a short wait for our table, but the check in feature of the MDE app works well, and we were buzzed when it was our time.

Is there anything better than Pretzel Bread and Maple Sugar Butter? Absolutely not.

Seeing as it was my birthday, I did go all out. No starters, but I did get a cheeky extra side with my main...

Le Cellier Signature Poutine
fresh-cut fries, Canadian Cheddar, truffles and red wine reduction

Now, let me tell you... I have tried and tried to replicate this at home but I just can't seem to get it right. The red wine jus is spectacular (or maybe just mega boozy), and don't be fooled, the fries are not what you'll find elsewhere on property.

But of course, then there's the main reason you come to this Canadian gem and that is...

Le Cellier Filet Mignon

AAA Canadian Beef Tenderloin, mushroom risotto, asparagus-tomato relish, truffle-butter sauce

So here's the thing, I am not a massive steak person but there is a reason why my favourite restaurant is a steakhouse and this is it. The steak is always cooked to perfection, the risotto is unlike anything I have been able to find or make in London and the rest of the garnishes are so light that they compliment the two stars of the show perfectly. It truly is a work of art and definitely worth every penny of the splurge.

Would I return? Unless something drastic happens, this will be my one treat on every trip.

DVC Discount? 10% 😎

Overall Rating: 10/10

After that, there wasn't a chance I could squeeze in a desert... But, I was in need of a little pick-me-up...

And what better way than an International Festival of the Arts nightcap. This is the Niseko Flurry from Goshiki (Japan). It is made up of Sake, Rum, White Cranberry Juice, Blue Curacao and Lime Juice.

Despite its deeply concerning contents, it is surprisingly smooth and a really easy drink.

DVC Discount? No 😭

Overall Rating: 8/10
Old 17 Feb 22, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What an incredible food day - your steak at Le Cellier looks fantastic and that poutine! 😋
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 22, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rubberduckie89
Excited about Disney

rubberduckie89's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh I'm loving your report, so funny and making me so excited for my April trip!
Old 18 Feb 22, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

I like your writing style! Looking forward to reading more.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List