Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 22, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hogwarts
Excited about Disney

Kids don’t need me anymore

Hi anyone else at that stage where kids don’t need you, my 2 are 18 and 19
I suggested a holiday and my dd 19 wasn’t too bothered as we’ve been loads f times ( wish someone had offered me a free holiday at that age )
My 18 year old said he’d come but wasn’t too bothered
DH thinks there adults now and he’s done his bit and we should start living our life again but I’m not ready to let go yet. Am I been stupid ?I can’t even go away overnight without stressing that there ok . Should I just go to Florida with hubby even for 1 week as I really need something to look forward to and it’s very expensive going to Spain/ Greece etc so may as well go somewhere I love
Thanks everyone sorry for moaning
Hogwarts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I'm dreading this time, my daughter is 16 and still loves and looks forward to family holidays.
I think in a few years you'll feel better about it ( that's what I'm telling myself any way. It's just the transitioning part that'll be difficult)
For what it's worth, I think you should go. However, I know I would to d it difficult to take my own advice.
Overall, I'm not much help. Sorry x
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

They'll always need you,but don't need to want holidays with you.Once you've done one holiday without them, it's easy and sooo much cheaper,enjoy going as a couple,years down the line they might want to come with you again with their partners and kids.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I’d definitely go with hubbie, mind you mine are 14 & 11 and I’m already looking forward to trips without them, being able to book accommodation with one bed rather than 3 and not planning around what they want with the odd couple of hours doing my thing!

It is hard letting go, but independent adults are the end game in parenting and at 18 & 19 they’ll be absolutely fine for a week.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

My DS is 17 next week for the first time he doesn’t want to even go for a meal with us .
I’m quite hurt although I know it’s normal - the worst thing is I don’t even know how it happened - the time has gone soo quickly .
I asked him what cake he wanted and he did ask to make a chocolate cake (something we have always done) so I guess you have to make the most of things ☹️☹️
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Hogwarts View Post
Hi anyone else at that stage where kids don’t need you, my 2 are 18 and 19
I suggested a holiday and my dd 19 wasn’t too bothered as we’ve been loads f times ( wish someone had offered me a free holiday at that age )
My 18 year old said he’d come but wasn’t too bothered
DH thinks there adults now and he’s done his bit and we should start living our life again but I’m not ready to let go yet. Am I been stupid ?I can’t even go away overnight without stressing that there ok . Should I just go to Florida with hubby even for 1 week as I really need something to look forward to and it’s very expensive going to Spain/ Greece etc so may as well go somewhere I love
Thanks everyone sorry for moaning
Our son is 16 and doesn't really want to holiday with us.

We would love to go away but we would worry he'd burn the house down.

I asked him to cook something the other day and came in to find the timer beeping for the oven and him in his room on the PC with the headphones on he's completely forgot he put something in the oven.

He's went out and left the front door open as well.

I don't know how he will survive in the wild, I really don't.

Edited at 02:02 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

My two are 9 months and 4years. I've already told hubby when they no longer want to holiday with us we will go to the Maldives 😂 Enjoy it and make it luxurious!
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Ours are 17 and 24 and we do still have a family holiday every year. Every time I think it will be the last !
We are now also having a cruise each year and a few weekends away as a couple. I have no issues about leaving daughter because she always has her brother there. I do miss their company though. The house is always suspiciously clean and tidy on our return.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

If they're anything like me it'll come full circle in a few years time. I didn't holiday with my parents from 18-25 and then me and my hubby started to join them on holidays again, of course we started paying our own way. My sister and her family also go on holidays with them and we'll go on some big family trips too.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hubby and I went out for Easter Monday. We sat by a lake and chilled. I was talking to hubby about finding the transition hard, the not being needed, and watching the kids make, imo, unwise choices. Yet being grateful they are spreading their wings.

Within 30 mins we'd had messages from 4 of the 5 of them, arrangements changing and them coming back sooner than expected! I realised the transition is going to be a phase in itself!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List