Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 22, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Twilight Nerd
slightly serious Dibber

I buy mine as daily disposables and wear them a few weeks, taking them out on a night of course and putting in solution, as does Mrs YT. Not recommended supposedly but been doing it decades with no issues whatsoever. Don’t follow my advice though, I once said I did this and someone on here took this to mean I simply left them in my eyes 24/7!
I started doing it after Johnson were successfully sued in the US for selling effectively the same lens as a daily disposable as a monthly, with an inconsequential curve differential. They paid compensation. So I thought if they were essentially the same, why not just wear them a month?
Don’t follow my example though as no doubt we will get people saying it is dangerous etc. Follow the advice of professionals, we will carry on with our lenses hardly costing anything though. Optician is aghast when we tell them. Partly because I’m there for a check up and not some costly lens subscription service.
I also changed my lenses myself. I couldn’t read up close any more, so just went down to one which was fine. Then someone suggested I put a low power one in my left eye instead of none. So I got a .5. Spot on, I can read close and see far. I’m a terrible example.
Cost is about £40 a year

I do this too!
Twilight Nerd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

I wear daily disposables from Daysoft, £12 for 32 pairs. I have annual check ups with my opticians.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
I wear daily disposables from Daysoft, £12 for 32 pairs. I have annual check ups with my opticians.
I have just got some of these for my daughter, to try as an alternative to the current Specsavers monthly payment she currently has.

If they suit her it will save us £10 a month
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 22, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
This is interesting as I'm just trialling mine the now. Never had contacts before but like them so far. I wear varifocal glasses. The optician said the contacts we're mono something? Or maybe he said Sono 🤔.
They are £38 for 30.
After reading this, I'm wondering about ordering online.
Old 30 Apr 22, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

I've been using specsavers lenses for about 15 years but I decided to try the daily lense from Daysoft. I actually prefer these lenses and they are much cheaper too!
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 22, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by Fraser789 View Post
I've been using specsavers lenses for about 15 years but I decided to try the daily lense from Daysoft. I actually prefer these lenses and they are much cheaper too!
Do you order these online?
Old 30 Apr 22, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My dd gets daily disposables from vision direct. Exactly the same as the ones from the optician. She still has her eye tests with the optician.

She doesn’t wear them every day so with a ‘plan’ she was stockpiling lenses. This way she just buys then when she needs them.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 22, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fraser789 View Post
Me too. More comfortable that the ones I had before and half the price. Been using daysoft for around 8 years now, have an annual check up with specsavers.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 22, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
Me too. More comfortable that the ones I had before and half the price. Been using daysoft for around 8 years now, have an annual check up with specsavers.
This is what I doo aswell. Never had any issues and much cheaper 😁

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 22, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

So I was wondering about this actually as my DD (10) is just trialing some lenses with Specsavers in preparation for starting Secondary School in September. To be Honest I would have preferred her not to wear them so early as I do feel she's a bit young but she does have a high prescription (+6 in both eyes) so her glasses are very thick and she gets very upset when the inevitable "speccy 4 eyes" and "jam jars on your face" etc comments start so I have caved in and let her trial them as I wasn't enjoying the tears

Anyway, they gave her 3 pairs and sent 5 more through the post (as they needed to order them) and she's doing "ok" with them but not great (I had to remove them for her the other night as she was getting so worked up about not being able to get them out - which was actually my worry about her getting them! ) and I am not convinced this is going to be a long term thing that she will stick to, or that she won't go to secondary and see far more kids in glasses (currently no one else wears them in her class) and be happy to wear them so I looked online and found the same prescription (same curve / diameter thing as well) for £16 for 30 lenses and I was thinking of buying them and just letting her try them as and when she wants to, if she decided she wanted them, I don't think she would wear them at home on weekends or in like school holidays so I don't really want to sign up to a monthly plan and seems silly to pay double at specsavers but will they still give her regular contact lenses check ups (does she need them) outside of her annual (which incidentally they have said should be 2 years now due to government guidelines! ) eye test for her glasses? I assumed if you didn't buy from them they would wash their hands of you on the contact lens side of things?
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List