Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 19 Jun 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
It didn’t in March. Experienced extremely good service from everyone we encountered.

Nope we were at the one mentioned in March this year - it’s new since then.
I think it’s just happened Karen and that’s why it has hit Facebook.

Never been myself but planned to go given all the good reviews I had seen.

Edit, someone on Tripadvisor from Tennessee now complaining about it:

Edited at 01:37 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
muffa2308
Imagineer

This was 21% everywhere we went in Miami, Sometimes called service charge and sometimes gratuity and sometimes split on the bill but always auto added. I fear this will be everywhere before you know it and I guarantee it will lessen the likelihood of people complaining or with holding a tip for poor service. The food is really pricey as it is and to auto add a service charge and then nudge nudge wink re a further tip is going to put eating out, out of reach for people
muffa2308 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I would never tip on top of a service charge. Whether that is perceived as right or wrong doesn’t bother me in the slightest. We had Fords on our list for this trip. On average we probable tip around 20% anyway so will probably still visit but won’t be tipping on top of the bill.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So I’m doubly confused. First of all before reading the thread I was about to text my daughter and tell her that her husband would now have to pay a service charge every time he took his car to be serviced.
Then I remembered he no longer owns a Ford car anyway.
Then I read the thread and so you pay for the cost of the listed food? Then you pay a service charge but that’s not the servers tip? His/her tip is extra on top of that, at your discretion?
I’ve not been to this place and I don’t think I’ll bother.
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Josephus
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

I used to hate mandatory service fees.

However, I think it’s a necessary shift. I work in the service industry in Central Florida and there is an increased number of people who aren’t tipping or tipping extremely low. It’s not uncommon for someone to say, “service was great, but I can’t afford to tip”. Coincidentally, there was a thread not too long go here on tipping where the OP had actually taken this option at Ford’s.

Tipping is and always has been optional. But when too many people take that option then the job in the service industry isn’t worth doing. Restaurants can’t recruit staff and people always say that they should pay their staff better. The mandatory service fee allows them to do that.

For clarity - Ford’s statement that staff earn a fixed permission basically means something like:

Bar Staff - 1%
Busboy - 3%
Waiter - 12%
Host - 4%

Or some similar combination. The server gets a higher percentage because they just get the split from their tables, but other staff are getting a percentage from multiple servers.

This kind of forced split exists in many restaurants. You tip your server and they then are forced to tip these percentages of your bill to the other staff. If you don’t tip then they are still forced to tip these amounts.

When someone “can’t afford to tip” on say a $200 bill, that server is then earning server wage and has to pay other restaurant staff around $16. Because of that diner, this server is therefore currently working for around minus $9 an hour.

Edited at 02:24 PM.
Josephus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The legalese makes "interesting reading" & if I was a server I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy! The restaurant is entitled to keep all of that service charge, some choose to make up the minimum wage & keep the rest but really the only bit that a server is entitled to is any non mandatory Tip. Basically the restaurant get's away with their food costing 20% more than advertised!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

It would be easier if the restaurant just charged what they needed to pay everyone at the going rate , then you either go and pay for the food and drink at a higher rate or you don’t.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

We ate at the Ford's Garage at Sunset Walk on a Saturday in May when they had a car show on.
Both the food and service was good and I did notice the 20% service charge on the bill. Spoke to our server just to confirm she would receive it which she would.
The car show was great and managed to speak with the Sheriff department as they had a Mustang taken from a drug dealer. They like to have some fun with the car's before they dispose of them.
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Josephus View Post
I used to hate mandatory service fees.

However, I think it’s a necessary shift. I work in the service industry in Central Florida and there is an increased number of people who aren’t tipping or tipping extremely low. It’s not uncommon for someone to say, “service was great, but I can’t afford to tip”. Coincidentally, there was a thread not too long go here on tipping where the OP had actually taken this option at Ford’s.

Tipping is and always has been optional. But when too many people take that option then the job in the service industry isn’t worth doing. Restaurants can’t recruit staff and people always say that they should pay their staff better. The mandatory service fee allows them to do that.

For clarity - Ford’s statement that staff earn a fixed permission basically means something like:

Bar Staff - 1%
Busboy - 3%
Waiter - 12%
Host - 4%

Or some similar combination. The server gets a higher percentage because they just get the split from their tables, but other staff are getting a percentage from multiple servers.

This kind of forced split exists in many restaurants. You tip your server and they then are forced to tip these percentages of your bill to the other staff. If you don’t tip then they are still forced to tip these amounts.

When someone “can’t afford to tip” on say a $200 bill, that server is then earning server wage and has to pay other restaurant staff around $16. Because of that diner, this server is therefore currently working for around minus $9 an hour.
I’m sorry I’m having a really thick moment day.
So you are basically still tipping 20% and that goes proportionally to the staff much as it did before but you now pay a 20% service charge and if your meal was exceptional and you wanted to tip above the 20% you just leave an additional top up balance?
Old 19 Jun 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
It would be easier if the restaurant just charged what they needed to pay everyone at the going rate , then you either go and pay for the food and drink at a higher rate or you don’t.
Deserts are about £10 each based on todays exchange rate. Could be a pricey visit for a family.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List