Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Jan 22, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Complete Carb Checking Across the Universe - Feb 22

With less than 2 weeks to go 🤞, I thought I might post this, hoping it doesn’t jinx it.

Can’t wait to be back in Orlando, like many, over the last couple of years we have just kept booking the Orlando holidays and hoping for the best. It will be strange to, hopefully, finally get there, assuming covid has no other plans for us that is.

Only a few weeks ago I was imagining that this holiday would go the same way as a couple of others and end up in the bin.

Once they pulled the testing before returning home our opinions changed and we started to think this one would really happen.

This will be a purely universal trip, no Disney at all and maybe a wee bit of offsite eating. We are staying at Hard Rock and then Sapphire Falls.

Usual Cast

Me: 48 - loves all things Orlando and chief planner. Eats anything other than eggs. More on that in a minute and the reason for the trip title.

Dh; 50, this is his 50th birthday trip after a boring birthday a couple of weeks ago. Hates tomatoes, beans and mushrooms. Fairly chilled but can always be persuaded for a universal or Disney trip.

Ds: 14, loves all food, firmly established in his teenage years, adores Universal but high praise probably comes in the form of a grunt or a meh 😂

This food report will be a little different to my previous ones as at the start of December I was diagnosed as diabetic. My eyesight had been a bit dodgy and an optician appointment flagged up that it didn’t seem like general deterioration and told me to arrange blood tests. Right enough, diabetes was diagnosed later that week.

Since then I’ve switched my diet completely to low carb and low sugar. Been a bit of a stress and a massive learning curve but it’s working really well for me. Lost 23lb and am comfortably down at least 1 dress size on the bottom and 2 on the top, why is it never an even distribution? I’m only 5lb away from hitting a healthy BMI. But the main benefit is my Blood sugars are pretty stable and my vision has vastly improved.

So Orlando as a low carb and low sugar 🤯 trip has caused me a bit of concern but this week will be good practise to see how easy it will be to cope for 3 weeks in the summer.

Lots and lots of research and list taking later and I’m fairly convinced I won’t starve, however, I may well end up turning into a Caesar salad 😂.

Don’t fear and stop reading though, the other 2 will be indulging as per usual. I’m pretty sure DH can’t wait not to pretend he enjoys all my low carb meals 😂 and eat as he pleases for a week.

I’ve made some dining reservations but they are not set in stone, The Kitchen buffet breakfast, Finnegans, Mythos, Lombards, Big Fire, Cowfish and Vivos.

If anyone has anywhere they’d recommend, especially where they’ve enjoyed something on the lower carb end I’d love to know.

Low carb universal food lists on page 10.

Starts page 11.

Pre travel day food
Premier Inn Breakfast
Travelling food
Panda Express - universal
The kitchen at Hard Rock

Sals at Portofino
Walmart snacks
Finnegans at universal

Breakfast in the room
Longhorns
Big fire

Voodoo doughnuts
Mardi Gras snacks
Monsters cafe
Cowfish

Central Park crepes
Lombards
Menchies
Bar 17 - Aventura

Mythos
Menchies
Vivos

Universal snacks
Burger King
Vineland - Chinese food
NBC Bar and Grill

Mardi Gras snacks
Urban Pantry - Aventura
Outback - Airport and BA food

Costs

Highs and lows

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looking forward to this Rescuer and will be interesting to see the low carb side. I know it's not 100% the same thing but this article on keto friendly restaurants might help as think there's a fair overlap - delish/restaurants/g...y-restaurants/

Enjoy!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Looking forward to this Rescuer and will be interesting to see the low carb side. I know it's not 100% the same thing but this article on keto friendly restaurants might help as think there's a fair overlap - delish/restaurants/g...y-restaurants/

Enjoy!
Thanks so much for that link. Keto is pretty popular and really low carb so it’s great as a reference point. Some really good ideas on there if we venture offsite.

Thanks again for finding that while you are away on your own amazing holiday. Hope your weather warms up.
Old 30 Jan 22, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

I hope the low carbing goes well and you find some good alcohol options 🍸
DisneyMemories is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
So excited for you and sorry to hear about your diagnosis but well done on sticking to you new low carb way of eating! I think you will probably be surprised by how much choice you will have on the menu and I can’t wait to follow along. 😁 xx
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh how I’ve missed the dining reviews!

You’re way ahead of me, I’ve only booked the kitchen brunch so far.

Does everything on CityWalk need booking now do you know?

Are you planning to watch the Super Bowl? Can’t remember if this came up on the Feb thread. We’re going to watch at the pool bar I think, might see you there.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyMemories View Post
I hope the low carbing goes well and you find some good alcohol options 🍸
Sure I’ll find something, the odd glass of wine or low carb beer, just need to not be tempted by those beautifully sweet cocktails 😂

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
So excited for you and sorry to hear about your diagnosis but well done on sticking to you new low carb way of eating! I think you will probably be surprised by how much choice you will have on the menu and I can’t wait to follow along. 😁 xx
It’s all good, it’s amazing how much better I feel already in such a short space of time and that feels enough motivation to stick with low carb.

How are you getting on working your way through all that peppermint bark? I must admit to ordering a bag but I’ll only have the very odd one.

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Oh how I’ve missed the dining reviews!

You’re way ahead of me, I’ve only booked the kitchen brunch so far.

Does everything on CityWalk need booking now do you know?

Are you planning to watch the Super Bowl? Can’t remember if this came up on the Feb thread. We’re going to watch at the pool bar I think, might see you there.
I’ve never booked places in citywalk before but I think everywhere is still limited capacity.

I normally book Mythos and Lombards just to avoid a long wait.

I figure If we are going to buy some of those $120 food vouchers which give you a $150 credit we better have done places booked to use them.

Did you decide if you are upgrading an annual pass to preferred for discounts?

We have Finnegans booked for tea on the Sunday night but might head back to the pool bar after.
Old 30 Jan 22, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I am happy to share ‘ Lessons Learnt over the years of sweet cocktails and blood glucose spikes’ 😂 😂
Old 30 Jan 22, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I am happy to share ‘ Lessons Learnt over the years of sweet cocktails and blood glucose spikes’ 😂 😂
😂😂😂I can only imagine! I’ll just stick to the more sensible options.
Old 30 Jan 22, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Following with interest as one of our party has type 2 diabetes.