Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Feb 22, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We eat almost exclusively onsite Universal / WDW and would both say that by a long way the best meal we have ever had across either was The Palm at Hard Rock Cafe.
I think you should try Capa next trip too Claudette, it's food and service level is comparable to The Palm's.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 22, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Oh, one more thing. We flew BA and I ordered the diabetic meal. I didn’t expect much, but it was great. On the way out it was a large piece of cod loin steamed with a small portion of brown rice and steamed veg. Didn’t sound great but it tasted lovely. Desserts were mainly berries, the afternoon tea was a feta and salad wrap, good compromise over sandwiches. On the way back, similarbut with grilled chicken. Doesn’t sound fancy,but plain stuff well done always gets my vote.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 22, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Will follow along. I couldn’t bring myself to start my report until a week before, it didn’t feel definite even then but we made it.

I don’t book much for Universal, it is quite easy to make it up as you go along. We eat almost exclusively onsite Universal / WDW and would both say that by a long way the best meal we have ever had across either was The Palm at Hard Rock Cafe.
We really enjoyed the Palm when we went in Feb 2020, it was lovely. Have you eaten at Bice? I was thinking about that for the summer trip or should we just stick with the Palm?

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Actually,I found breakfast was the easiest meal! Focussed on eggs/omelette, bacon, sausage patties etc. occasionally pinched a couple of tater tots from husbands plate. No toast/waffles/pancakes though. I did have porridge once or twice, but oats don’t spike my sugars. I did make a big mistake by drinking a glass of orange juice though - that’s one to watch.
I was coping ok with porridge but had a big spike one day after it. Omelettes will work, the only way I’ll contemplate eggs. I’m sure it’s that I’m conditioned to expect carbs ( read that as doughnuts and pancakes for breakfast) in the US. 😂

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Looking forward to your report, just the thing to get me in the mood before we follow you out there!
Thanks, your report certainly got me looking forward to my trip. When are you off again?
Old 2 Feb 22, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
We really enjoyed the Palm when we went in Feb 2020, it was lovely. Have you eaten at Bice? I was thinking about that for the summer trip or should we just stick with the Palm?

I was coping ok with porridge but had a big spike one day after it. Omelettes will work, the only way I’ll contemplate eggs. I’m sure it’s that I’m conditioned to expect carbs ( read that as doughnuts and pancakes for breakfast) in the US. 😂

Thanks, your report certainly got me looking forward to my trip. When are you off again?
Last weekend in Feb if things go to plan, I'm still not sure on numbers yet
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Oh, one more thing. We flew BA and I ordered the diabetic meal. I didn’t expect much, but it was great. On the way out it was a large piece of cod loin steamed with a small portion of brown rice and steamed veg. Didn’t sound great but it tasted lovely. Desserts were mainly berries, the afternoon tea was a feta and salad wrap, good compromise over sandwiches. On the way back, similarbut with grilled chicken. Doesn’t sound fancy,but plain stuff well done always gets my vote.
Oh thanks, I hadn’t thought of doing this as I wasn’t sure what you’d get. I’ll definitely order one now based on what you’ve said. More chance of me eating that rather than the normal menu.
Old 2 Feb 22, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post

I have indeed eaten at Bice. The food was really excellent, but it was quite a different style of night out compared to the Palm. It doesn’t have the sense of occasion that the Palm has, for example I don’t think you would find as many people dressed up for it and the service style is not as traditional / formal.

We had a service issue at the end of our meal that annoyed us, but it was one of those things. Even putting that aside, I would never be thinking should I go to the Palm or Bice, to me they are very different, with the former being much more of an overall treat and Bice being about having some very tasty food.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 22, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
homerthecowboy
Trying for More Ears

Ditto on the diabetic diagnosis last march, gone low carb and gone from 19st down to 13.5st, hba1c from 86 to 28 but dread eating out as things are secretly marinated or dressings on so USA is a worry, apparently scrambled eggs over there can have pancake batter in?! Still looking forward to it and sure we'll find some options so looking forward to your report
homerthecowboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
I have indeed eaten at Bice. The food was really excellent, but it was quite a different style of night out compared to the Palm. It doesn’t have the sense of occasion that the Palm has, for example I don’t think you would find as many people dressed up for it and the service style is not as traditional / formal.

We had a service issue at the end of our meal that annoyed us, but it was one of those things. Even putting that aside, I would never be thinking should I go to the Palm or Bice, to me they are very different, with the former being much more of an overall treat and Bice being about having some very tasty food.
Thanks Bice might be nice for a wee change and we are at Portofino in the summer. I’d happily go back to the Palm as well.

Originally Posted by homerthecowboy View Post
Ditto on the diabetic diagnosis last march, gone low carb and gone from 19st down to 13.5st, hba1c from 86 to 28 but dread eating out as things are secretly marinated or dressings on so USA is a worry, apparently scrambled eggs over there can have pancake batter in?! Still looking forward to it and sure we'll find some options so looking forward to your report
That’s an amazing turnaround, fantastic work. I had my first hba1c check today so hoping for a good number. I started at 98.

Yes I read about the pancake batter. I checked the nutrition pdf for Denny’s and the carbs in omelettes and eggs were as they should be, I hop was the main place they were talking about.

I’m fully thinking I’ll make some mistakes but I’m looking forward to trying all the suitable food.

When’s your trip?
Old 3 Feb 22, 04:02 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We had a very similar experience at Bice in 2018, the food was mostly very good and the head waiter was frankly just a bit of a douchebag (certainly on the night we were there). I'm sure he's moved on by now Rescuer!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
We had a very similar experience at Bice in 2018, the food was mostly very good and the head waiter was frankly just a bit of a douchebag (certainly on the night we were there). I'm sure he's moved on by now Rescuer!
Not what you expect, such a shame if it was all good apart from one person who should know better.