Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Kez18 View Post
What a toll pass? No didn't see the toll booths in time. Sat nav and tiredness meant that I missed them.
Automatically records your number plate, you get charged the toll plus $5 a day, that you use toll roads. There's 4-5 toll booths the way we went. So probably worth it in my opinion. It comes off the card you used for the booking and max is $20 for the duration of your stay.

I think toll pass = visitors toll pass (which isn’t available at Melbourne). Effectively the same as plate recognition except you don’t pay any admin fee (just the toll cost).

However, I agree that $20 over 2-3 weeks for toll admin is worth it and a drop in the ocean compare led to overall holiday spend!
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I am the only one up so I thought I'd kill time on the dibb.
Got to MAN 4 hrs early, check in was a long line, we had assistance so about 1/2 hr for us. Security was busy, but still quite quick. It would have to be our pram that jammed in the belt. But only took 10 minutes to sort out.

Flight was only 3/4 full, meals where as previously stated mehhh. Glad we grabbed breakfast at sun Carlos, but didn't know that there where more counter style places around towards the gates, would have preferred these, and cheaper.
Film choice was rubbish and games etc didn't work, they also had to reset the whole plane twice.

Melbourne it seems like everyone is made up to see you, Security was super quick and easy, and very friendly not like Sanford at all. Got a little goody bag, crisp water and a snak which was nice, and needed once the heat hits you.

We where last at car desk, only one desk for all operators, no hard sell for us. Did see the family next to us getting pushed towards an upgrade but I agreed that they probably needed it.
No choice of car, just given the key.
Full size suv, got a Ford explorer with 60k on it. It wasn't dirty but not that clean either, if I'd had a choice I would have passed.
It wasn't in the pick up lot so walked over with staff to holding lot, only other full size in the lot was a suburban asked about that and was told it wasn't ready.
Just about got 5 adults a 9 Yr old and a baby, a pram, 4 large 1 medium and 6 hand luggage bags in it. Had one seat folded in the back and that swallowed 3 large cases.

Drive to villa is long, 81 miles along 192 I think, was just following the built-in navigation. Roads where not busy (about 7pm U.S.) used the toll pass thingy, mainly because the 1st toll comes up real quick and missed the pay booths, but for an extra 5$ not really bothered and saves time.
I4 was fine.
Got to villa, went to publix (way more expensive than last time) and everyone crashed out.

That's all for now.
You didn't go 192 if you paid tolls. The quickest is usually 95 and then 528 so that is probably the way the Satnav sent you.
Old 26 May 22, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Kez18
I have Ears

The hire company was alamo through DFCH, may have been because we were the last off our flight to go through, that they had zero other full size suv's.
I drive for a living back home and the car is one of the best parts of the holiday for me, normally there's 8 of us in 2 cars so I try and wrangle a free upgrade to an 8 seater (they want £2500 to secure one, I am bloody hiring it, not buying it) this then saves on parking at the parks. But this time only 7 so I really wanted one with the captian chairs in the middle, not that I'll ever get to sit in them.

I've had a yukon and an expedition before so would have probably liked a suburban, but got to say everytime I get out of it I say to myself (I ❤ this car) I'd bring it home with me if it didn't only get 18 mpg ha ha
Kez18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

The hire company was alamo through DFCH, may have been because we were the last off our flight to go through, that they had zero other full size suv's.
I drive for a living back home and the car is one of the best parts of the holiday for me, normally there's 8 of us in 2 cars so I try and wrangle a free upgrade to an 8 seater (they want £2500 to secure one, I am bloody hiring it, not buying it) this then saves on parking at the parks. But this time only 7 so I really wanted one with the captian chairs in the middle, not that I'll ever get to sit in them.

I've had a yukon and an expedition before so would have probably liked a suburban, but got to say everytime I get out of it I say to myself (I ❤ this car) I'd bring it home with me if it didn't only get 18 mpg ha ha
It’s like I’m looking in a mirror!
Im exactly the same.

I’ve also booked Alamo via DFCH for end of July (2 weeks).

I’ve had an explorer a couple of times before and loved it, although only when I’d booked a standard SUV not full size.

I’ll be honest, I think the Explorer is technically a class below full size suv (classed as standard 7 seater SUV vs full size 7 seater SUV) - it’s def different class when you quote via DFCH website.

Up to you obviously, but I’d be looking for some money back or an exchange at a different location. As an example there is a £200 difference between std 7 seat suv (Explorer) and full size 7 seat suv (Tahoe) for my dates in July.

You should check the SIPP code for the car you got. It should be FFAR I think for full size SUV.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Just to add.
Ford Explorer is classed as a standard crossover SUV on Alamo’s website
Old 26 May 22, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cableguy
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by garryboy11 View Post
Just to add.
Ford Explorer is classed as a standard crossover SUV on Alamo’s website
Good bit of info there thanks
I've got a full size SUV with alamo booked for end of July too so will be checking to make sure they don't downsize us
Cableguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Kez18
I have Ears

Sorry folks, must have been jet lag or exhaustion 😩
It's an expedition not an explorer.
Definitely a full size.

If they had downgraded me, I wouldn't have been able to fit everything in it.

But if I had managed, and they had said sorry none in your class available, I'd have woken up to a mysterious flat tyre, they then bring round a shiny new one, usually an upgrade for your trouble.
Old 27 May 22, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry folks, must have been jet lag or exhaustion 😩
It's an expedition not an explorer.
Definitely a full size.

If they had downgraded me, I wouldn't have been able to fit everything in it.

But if I had managed, and they had said sorry none in your class available, I'd have woken up to a mysterious flat tyre, they then bring round a shiny new one, usually an upgrade for your trouble.

Cool. You can see how ready I am to have an argument with them if they give me the wrong class!

The kids get the parks, wife gets to shop - I get the nice car for 2 weeks, that’s the deal 😂
Old 27 May 22, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Kez18
I have Ears

Apart from the 1st time I came when I was given a jeep compass, that the nice man said was a free upgrade (big wobbly box) I even tipped him $40

They've been absolutely fine, above and beyond when I would explain I drive for a living. But that was sanford, Melbourne seems to be still getting set out to be fair, desk is in a big tent at the moment.

As long as you are aware of the insurance upsell and the class of vehicle you will be fine.
Old 27 May 22, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Katyd246
Earning More Ears

Katyd246's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We flew TUI from Manchester, outbound 10th May, and return 24th May.

I cannot praise Melbourne staff enough. Everyone we dealt with was so lovely and accommodating and they were dealing with alot.

Our flight out took off about 8 hours late due to picking up the Newcastle flights missing luggage and then breaking down. During this time no one kept us informed and you couldn't find anyone from TUI to talk to. We spent 3.5 hours of that delay sitting on the plane on the tarmac. The flight took a short cut so the end delay was only 6.5 hours. we were quickly through security. My mum needs wheelchair assistance and the staff were really lovely, even refused the tip. They went for a trolley for our luggage for us, they gave everyone little food gift bags with water. There were so many staff around just wanting to help it really did lift us after the nightmare flight.

We had hired a full size SUV from Alamo and had choice over the car. We went with the Chevy Suburban and it was huge and could easily fit all the cases and wheelchair. Again the staff were really lovely. It didn't have satnav though which if you aren't confident with maps isn't great. Getting out of the airport in the dark was a bit of an adventure as we didn't find the I95 easily signposted until we were next to it.

We'd booked separate with Disney so all of that went really smoothly.

For the return flight we had another nightmare. 2 days before the flight we got an email to say the plane was changing due to maintenance and we needed to select our seats. We go onto the app and it won't let us do this. There's no one to contact, tried phoning, messenger and can't get hold of anyone. The app says we still have our premium row 1 bulkhead seats for our accessibility needs so we figure everything will be fine that was our first mistake. The next day we get an email. Our seats have been auto allocated. We are now all separated and one different rows from 31 to 34, non are accessible. Again try to contact TUI and no response from any of the methods. Day of the flight another email to say we are back together in row 3 with extra legroom. When we get to the airport the lovely people at Melbourne completely understand everyone's issues. Unfortunately they don't even know what the inside of the plane looks like and aren't allowed to swap any seats so their hands are tied, they suggest the cabin crew may be able to get us bulkhead seats that re accessible.

Get on the flight after a short delay. There is no extra legroom and the seats aren't accessible. The cabin crew assure us they will help my mum if she needs the toilet. As the rest of the chaos tells you, comes time to help mum out of the seat and no help what so ever.

Now we are home and trying to claim compensation for the outbound delayed flight and their online form doesn't work. You really couldn't make it up. Everything that TUI had a hand in has been absolute chaos.

That said, the Melbourne staff are TUI ambassadors and it shows. They were far nicer and more helpful than any we experienced UK side.
Katyd246 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List