Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jun 22, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Estas - how long do you need before applying?

We’re not going until September ‘23 and we were going to wait until the new year before applying since we shall have a new addition to our group due Christmas However I belong to a FB group and I have been reading some worrying stories about Estas being granted and then later on being revoked! Plus some are saying that you should have your Estas in place before booking your trip. This was never our experience before so has the system changed and can we be certain that we will still have our Estas before our trip?
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You’ll get lots of different opinions but I usually make sure we have ours 6 months before we go in case we make an error that can’t be fixed and need to go down the visa route. I’m not even sure that’s enough time any more. My sister needs to renew her passport this year so we’ll probably just get ESTAs done when it arrives even though we don’t go until next September. I’d rather pay a bit more than we needed to make sure we always have an ESTA.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
We fly in November and we applied for ours in May,it took an hour to approve them!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

I’m not going to tell you a specific length of time, but if you know you’re definitely going to be booking then the simple answer is ASAP.
I see no point in hanging on until this date or that date…
Do them all now and then the new one when you need to.
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
You’ll get lots of different opinions but I usually make sure we have ours 6 months before we go in case we make an error that can’t be fixed and need to go down the visa route. I’m not even sure that’s enough time any more. My sister needs to renew her passport this year so we’ll probably just get ESTAs done when it arrives even though we don’t go until next September. I’d rather pay a bit more than we needed to make sure we always have an ESTA.
Thanks - yeah there are a lot of different opinions and some are worrying me. When I was working (4 years retired yay!) I was responsible for the company’s travel and visas. I have applied for multiple Estas over the years and have never come across any being revoked. We are waiting for the baby to arrive because he/she will need a passport and then we’ll all apply- probably around Easter to be honest. We are also going next September.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
I’m not going to tell you a specific length of time, but if you know you’re definitely going to be booking then the simple answer is ASAP.
I see no point in hanging on until this date or that date…
Do them all now and then the new one when you need to.
You do have a point. I guess we wanted to get them all together but maybe that’s not a practical approach 🤔
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Thanks - yeah there are a lot of different opinions and some are worrying me. When I was working (4 years retired yay!) I was responsible for the company’s travel and visas. I have applied for multiple Estas over the years and have never come across any being revoked. We are waiting for the baby to arrive because he/she will need a passport and then we’ll all apply- probably around Easter to be honest. We are also going next September.
I’ve heard of them being revoked but it doesn’t really happen that often or there’d be a daily thread on it. I think it’s something to do with names being similar to one’s on the no-fly list.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
As others have said lots of different opinions, personally we always have them, when they run out I renew them, I know they have just gone up but the cost is negligible.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I buy mine as soon as I book the holiday. Why wait? You need it to travel.

You could do your group now and then do the baby when they are here with a passport.

Issue is if you make an error on any/or someone doesn't qualify and need to go the visa route this takes months and I'd be nervous waiting until Spring when that could be dealt with now.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks everyone. We’ll have a family chat and make a decision. It’s not about the money - it’s making sure that we all get approved together as otherwise we might not go at all. However that might not be the right decision.