Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Jun 22, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Visitor Toll Pass - worried about being double charged

As some of you may know I've started a few threads since May 2021 about the VTP and those threads generated a few extra questions on here beyond their comprehensive FAQs.

I created on here new threads with the answers I received from the VTP guys about when collection would be available from side B and whether the VTP would be rolled out to other Florida airports.

Another concern amongst some Dibbers was would they be double charged on their credit cards by using the default "toll by plate" system and by VTP. This is the email exchange.

Dear Mick
Thank you for contacting Visitor Toll Pass.

In brief when you register your license plate on our app you get registered on our system. When you go through a toll it doesn't get immediately reported to the toll agency its program follows a type of waterfall system and our program is at the very top so when you go through a toll it gets reported to us 1st.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to review our FAQ section or call Visitor Toll Pass Customer Service at 407-690-5300 Monday – Friday 7:30 AM – 7:00 PM, Saturday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Thank you for choosing Visitor Toll Pass.
Sincerely,
Visitor Toll Pass Customer Service
Phone: (+1) 407-690-5300
Email: Info@VisitorTollPass.com

Sent: 13 June 2022 12:30
To: info@visitortollpass.com
Subject: RE: FW: Toll pass collection

Hi there – it’s me again

You will have seen that the POTUS and CDC have just removed the requirement for travellers having to provide a negative Covid test on the day before they fly to the USA.

Needless to say the news has resulted in an eruption of excitement amongst those on the holiday forum that I have been referring to. Posts about the VTP have also begun to show again and scores of us can’t wait to use it again.

It has though generated a new question beyond those I’ve asked you before (collect side B and other airports).

I know that your FAQ suggest us advising the hire company that we are using VTP but to be honest I didn’t when using VTP with Alamo as I tend to go straight to the garage and pick my own car and never speak to anyone until I reach the barrier.

The question that some have now asked is, if you don’t tell the car hire desk, is there a risk that you might be double charged by the VTP and the “toll by plate” default generated by just driving through. I guess it might be similar to paying cash does not trigger toll by plate.

It would be really helpful please if you’re able to provide a short but not too technical explanation of the scanning process that stops VTP being charged on top of toll by plate.

Best wishes
Mick
Old 18 Jun 22, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieMagic
Trying for More Ears

Very helpful and excellent to know, thank you.
PixieMagic is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post
izzitme
Excited about Disney

We had a charge to our account from Alamo, but it dropped off again within 24 hours.

Can only presume that the system did not immediately register our car but then "caught up" & put the charges right.
Old 19 Jun 22, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi Mick
Thank you for this. Hope they do provide some explanation as how the system works. I have my own theory, having experimented with the VTP at the same time as using my transponder.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
beaker72
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

beaker72's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 6
You do great work here Mick, thanks again.
beaker72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ for Mick
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

I am just back from Orlando and we used the VTP.

I too was very worried that I would be double charged... especially as our rental car (with Avis) had a great big pull out E-Pass badge on the windscreen that blocked the view of our VTP hanging on the rear view mirror!

What I did was slide the VTP over the top of this pull out badge and I have to say it worked an absolute treat. It didn't stay there however so we did have to keep sliding it back on before we entered a toll but they are clearly signposted - you know when you are entering a toll road and even more so when you are driving through the express lanes where the cameras are.

I believe your plate is added to the system though as soon as you leave the airport so while I am not saying don't display the VTP, I think if you missed one I'd be amazed if you were charged as your plate would be registered to your VTP. What I am trying to say is - don't stress

I found that the tolls sometimes didn't show up for a day or two on the App so don't be alarmed if they aren't there as soon as you complete your journey.

When I returned the car, my receipt from Avis read $0.00 and a few days later I got an invoice from VTP. As we had already been billed for the $10.00 deposit, I was only charged an extra $0.67 (Our toll usage totaled $10.67 for our trip).

I will be using it again 100%.
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
I am just back from Orlando and we used the VTP.

I too was very worried that I would be double charged... especially as our rental car (with Avis) had a great big pull out E-Pass badge on the windscreen that blocked the view of our VTP hanging on the rear view mirror!

What I did was slide the VTP over the top of this pull out badge and I have to say it worked an absolute treat. It didn't stay there however so we did have to keep sliding it back on before we entered a toll but they are clearly signposted - you know when you are entering a toll road and even more so when you are driving through the express lanes where the cameras are.

I believe your plate is added to the system though as soon as you leave the airport so while I am not saying don't display the VTP, I think if you missed one I'd be amazed if you were charged as your plate would be registered to your VTP. What I am trying to say is - don't stress

I found that the tolls sometimes didn't show up for a day or two on the App so don't be alarmed if they aren't there as soon as you complete your journey.

When I returned the car, my receipt from Avis read $0.00 and a few days later I got an invoice from VTP. As we had already been billed for the $10.00 deposit, I was only charged an extra $0.67 (Our toll usage totaled $10.67 for our trip).

I will be using it again 100%.
I doubt a small bar code on a fast moving vehicle through reflective glass is ever read by anything. I thought if it was picking you up from the tag at all, then it would likely be RFID transmission like the hire vehicle ones which switch on I think when you slide them back.
Reading the above from Mick, I’m surprised anyone needs a tag whatsoever and surprised it can’t all be in app, which would be a lot easier.
Maybe they want the tag picked up from airport specification to stop all and sundry just using this, as it’s meant to be for visitors. Is the tag a red herring/ placebo, designed to try and limit it to genuine visitors?
Indeed doing a bit of Google searching on the subject I can’t see any systems being mentioned anywhere where a camera is so sophisticated it can read a barcode in such circumstances. The QR code toll systems seem to rely on you pulling up at a booth or machine and having someone scan it directly or you put it under the reader in a machine.

Edited at 09:43 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi Mick
Thank you for this. Hope they do provide some explanation as how the system works. I have my own theory, having experimented with the VTP at the same time as using my transponder.
Alex
Alex

They seem to have answered about the charging waterfall regime but I doubt that I'll get anything more technical about cameras, bar code readers and chips (which is beyond me).

My career as unpaid VTP sales director to the DIBB has now come to an end I believe and I shall pass the baton on to a new volunteer.

Mick

Edited at 09:52 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Norah22
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Alex

They seem to have answered about the charging waterfall regime but I doubt that I'll get anything more technical about cameras, bar code readers and chips (which is beyond me).

My career as unpaid VTP sales director to the DIBB has now come to an end I believe and I shall pass the baton on to a new volunteer.

Mick
Nah keep doing it and ask them for commission
Norah22 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List