Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 May 24, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Wed 8th May
Train to San Diego

A Dennys breakfast followed by a quick Uber down to Anaheim station to catch the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. I'd booked business class seats, just more padded and included snacks and drinks.

Settled into a couple of seats after getting luggage stowed away. There are guards in the business section so luggage was watched at every station along the way.

Nice and relaxing ride easing along the coast.

Plan was to get off at Old Town but my wife was still suffering with cold so took the easier option to go into Santa Fe station, catch some lunch then head over to our AirBnB.

In San Diego so lunch had to be at a brewery!

Got over to AirBnB. Perfect. It was a historic 1918 home with loads of original features. Just a room with our own bathroom, the host turned out to be a fantastic host, we left feeling like family. This is how AirBnB should be, not just inflating local housing prices with buy to lets.

After a rest we walked out to the local area, North Park. We'd been here before. I specifically chose the area for the 'local feel' and the availability of public transport - we were not having a car at all this trip. In San Diego a car is a hindrance rather than a good choice.

Of course we had dinner in a brewery!

We were pretty beat so took a slow stroll back and caught an early night.
Sorry your wife missed the special Star Wars evening hope she recovered quickly, It was pricey with no fireworks though 😭
Great views of the beach from the train

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 24, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Sorry your wife missed the special Star Wars evening hope she recovered quickly, It was pricey with no fireworks though 😭
Great views of the beach from the train
The train was excellent, highly recommend it. Pretty scenic and being double decker you get a good view.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 24, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Another great trip 2point 👍 you did so much in San Diego. It's giving me a hankering to go back as we barely scratched the surface when we visited. Pity about your wife being unwell for part of the trip. I like your hobby of brewing beer, sounds cool and interesting and then making it part of your holiday 😊
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 24, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

It looks like you had a great time 2Point 😃, San Diego is my favourite city in the US and I was fortunate enough to go twice in an April with work. If/when you ever return I highly recommend Morning Glory in Little Italy and Breakfast Republic in the Gaslamp District, both for breakfast. HUGE portions and very delicious!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 24, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

What a lovely trip you have made me realise that there is much more to San Diego than we experienced during our trip although we did have 2 teens in tow. An excuse to do back

Thanks for sharing
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 24, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

What a wonderful trip, I have really enjoyed looking at all the photos. The Star Wars event would definitely be on our to do list it sounds like you had a great night, shame your wife missed out I am pleased she got over the cold and it didnít spoil too much of the trip. I am sure Seaworld was even more special after seeing it on Blue Peter all those years ago, itís great to tick things off your list. San Diego sounds fascinating there is so many different things to experience. The train journey views looked great and all the different transport options around the area appeared easy and a good price too. Some great food and you also seem to have got lucky finding all those breweries-I think you need to return another time to make sure you can tick a few more!
Thanks for sharing your trip I have really enjoyed reading about all your adventures.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 24, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Appreciate all the kind comments, hope the report can be useful for other planners.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 24, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Fri 10th May San Diego

My wife was feeling better but I was still aware we needed to keep today a light day to give her the best chance to recover without being beasted.

Decided on a trip to Ocean Beach - the OB.

It's beach area that has been traditionally a 'hippie' area.

I'd downloaded an app called Pronto, which covered public transport for San Diego. An easy bus to downtown San Diego and a connecting bus to Ocean Beach. Total $2.50, great value. Was an interesting trip over, not driving I had chance to take in the sights I'd normally miss.

The downtown area was sketchy to say the least, we soon learned to get off further into the City. It can't be avoided - homelessness is a huge problem over there. Tent cities, round sleeping, drug use, mental health issues are abundantly obvious. On a scale that can't be compared to anything I've seen in the UK or Europe.

We toured around a number of shops in OB, enjoying the local beach feel of the place.

One of the attractions was Hodad's burgers. If anyone has watched Diners, DriveIns and Dives with Guy Fieri this is a featured place.

We got the van seats which was a laugh.

Weather was a bit iffy. Still 20c but overcast and a bit windy.

Of course we found a brewery to take a break in.

We get the bus back into San Diego and had a walk along the waterfront. We came into San Diego 6 yrs ago on the Disney Wonder after a Panama Canal cruise.

This weekend the Wonderfest was running. It's a music festival for the young hip and happening crowd. At about $300 a ticket we skipped it, nothing to do with us not being hip and happening.

Had a nice walk around and managed to avoid the breweries around there, for a change.

We had an early night, my wife was almost over the cold.
Love San Diego Zoo I thought the cable cars were good if a little scary 😳
Fantastic view of the beach whilst you had your drinks 😎

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 24, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Loved your trip report and it bought back many pleasant memories. Whilst I am no fan of Anaheim, I really rate San Diego.

Can you remember which CVN was in? It is obviously a Nimitz Class as it is not Gerald Ford. I am guessing CVN70, the USS Carl Vinson.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:48 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 24, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Loved your trip report and it bought back many pleasant memories. Whilst I am no fan of Anaheim, I really rate San Diego.

Can you remember which CVN was in? It is obviously a Nimitz Class as it is not Gerald Ford. I am guessing CVN70, the USS Carl Vinson.
We are probably done with Anaheim now, definitely going back to San Diego though.

It was CVN70.