Notices

Old 26 Oct 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 1 Arriving In Hong Kong

I must have slept - quite deeply as the time seem to disappear. The flight was really quiet - I don't know if it was because I was in the back section which only had four rows or everyone was just very tired!

I came back to the land of the living with about 3 hours left to go. I looked through the film choices and decided to watch another of my all time favorite films - Four Weddings and a Funeral.

With about 90 minutes until landing breakfast was brought round.

As I had ordered the Asian veggie meal it was a bit strange - spicy chickpeas, spinach and tofu with a type of flatbread. It was actually very nice. I also drank the orange juice but left the banana bread as I don't eat bananas!

We landed 40 minutes early.

Within 20 minutes of getting off the plane I was through immigration and customs. I didn't have any baggage to get as I was traveling hand baggage only so that did help.

In arrivals I bought an octopus card - this is the Hong Kong equivalent of the Oyster card. It cost HK$150/€20 with a credit of HK$100. I had researched the options of how to get to the hotel. When O had come out, he took a taxi. I decided on the bus as at least it went to the place I needed to be and was not that much slower. The metro would have been marginally quicker but would involve three changes.

I found the buses but the one I needed wasn't for 45 minutes. I asked at the info desk if there was an alternative and they suggested the A29 to Hang Hau and then one stop on the MTR.

There was a bus about to leave and I just got it. It cost HK$42/€5

Thankfully there was wifi on board so I was able to message O and we arranged to meet at the bus stop as his mini bus from the campus also stopped there.

It was so lovely to start seeing parts of Hong Kong as the bus went along.

There didn't seem to be too much traffic and the journey took about an hour. Unfortunately the meeting place was lost in translation and I couldn't get connected to WhatsApp to speak to O. We eventually found each other after 15 minutes.

It was so lovely to get a big hug from my boy.

We took the subway to the next stop where the hotel was.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza Kowloon East - the nearest hôtel to O's campus. Check in was easy and we have a room on the 22nd floor.

We were a bit startled by the window to the bathroom but worked out there was a blind to pull down.

We both had much needed showers.

The view from out window. O did a bit of studying (exams next week) before we decided to find some dinner.

We had seen there was a Pizza Express in the mall underneath the hotel so as O had been deprived of pizza for the last 10 weeks we went there.

We both had a margarita pizza.

Followed by dough balls and Nutella (shared)

And O also has a banana custard thing - which he knew I wouldn't share as I don't do bananas!

It came to HK$350/€43

We both enjoyed it.

O still wanted to do another hour of studying and reciting his chinese! I volunteered to go for a wander to leave him in peace! I found the hotel garden and then sat in the reception area catching up on the Internet!

He sent me a message when he had finished. By now it was getting on for 9pm and I was shattered. By 9.30pm we were in bed and, in my case, sleep!

It was so nice to be with my boy!

Edited at 01:48 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 26 Oct 19 11:48 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like your flight was very good nice to finally see your son

Joan
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

So nice to hear you have arrived and had a lovely cuddle from O, it must have made the long journey worthwhile 💕

Four Weddings is my favourite film too 😀 We even watched it on Netflix recently in our hotel room in Spain.

You did very well to sort out the bus transfer into HK. In fact, your whole travel day seemed to go really well.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sounds like your flight was very good nice to finally see your son

Joan
Joan

It was so great to see him again after nearly 10 weeks!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
So nice to hear you have arrived and had a lovely cuddle from O, it must have made the long journey worthwhile 💕

Four Weddings is my favourite film too 😀 We even watched it on Netflix recently in our hotel room in Spain.

You did very well to sort out the bus transfer into HK. In fact, your whole travel day seemed to go really well.
I love that film. I can almost recite it word for word

I was impressed with the bus. It also makes me a little less anxious for the trip back which is on a Sunday - when the demonstrations usually are!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

It’s great to start reading your report! It must have been so emotional to see O for the first time in 10 weeks. Lovely to have a nice quiet flight and to be able to have a sleep. I look forward to reading along!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
It’s great to start reading your report! It must have been so emotional to see O for the first time in 10 weeks. Lovely to have a nice quiet flight and to be able to have a sleep. I look forward to reading along!
Thank you! It lovely to be with him! Though the next few days I won’t see him quite so much as he has to study. Saying that, most nights he will stay with me. A buffet breakfast has a lot of advantages for a poor student 🤣

Index of my trip reports
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I love that film. I can almost recite it word for word

I was impressed with the bus. It also makes me a little less anxious for the trip back which is on a Sunday - when the demonstrations usually are!
I can recite it too 😂

I’m always relieved to have made it to the hotel safely as I feel it’s easier for the return then. I do hope the demonstrations don’t disrupt your holiday or travel home xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

How lovely to see your son and great that he can stay with you
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List