Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Nov 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
We are doing the EDI-DUB-MCO in May and have booked an earlier flight (0930) for the afternoon flight so have approximately 4 hours in Dublin.
We’ve done the same for February. Might book 51st and Green lounge to pass some of the time.
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
I’ve flown across the Atlantic many times with AL and have never had the experience of cabin crew insisting that blinds be closed mid flight on a daytime journey.
It was very strange, they insisted and then the lights were dimmed😳.
Maybe we just had a lazy crew🤣
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I had an internal flight with Delta and they insisted on the blinds down - it was weird. Anybody know the reason why?
wdw-wanderer is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by boo2 View Post
It was very strange, they insisted and then the lights were dimmed😳.
Maybe we just had a lazy crew🤣
Really does seem likely. I just asked DH who used to travel very frequently with them to Boston and he never experienced it either.
Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Afraid don't have a lot on Aerlingus but to be fair most people would say they are very good. Get yourself a sunflower its for hidden disabilities we used it this year and it was really worthwhile especially in Orlando we spoke to one of the Gold vest guys and we were through customs about 15 minutes after leaving the plane
Thanks discostu, we use the sunflower lanyard when we fly through Manchester and used it at Birmingham in October, Sanford were great we just walked through the disabilities queue and they were really helpful. Not used it yet through MCO.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
We have recently flown MAN-DUB-JFK on Aer Lingus for first time.

We checked in early and in fact got there before check in opened (stayed at Radisson and went back for breakfast). Check in was slow and only 3 desks open but this is a short haul European flight first.

Seat formation for flight was 3-3 and nice and easy... short 40-45 min flight.

Dublin was smooth but had to get on a bus to T2 then walk quite a bit to get to the US immigration bit. Took about 30 mins overall to go through security and customs check.

Didn’t have time to check any shops / food places as only had 1:35hr layover.

DUB-JFK flight was ok. Because there were only 3 of us we took the last 3 seats at the back (formation is generally 2-4-2 - not sure if same for MCO flights). Wouldn’t recommend seats as too close to toilets.

Flights were ok. Food was nice. Drinks service not very good (came round once) and of course soft drinks only are free. Also found strange that half way through the flight the flight attendants got the blankets out and had a little sleep in their seats. Whilst no issue it seemed a bit of a nuisance as one of the back toilets was out of order and no one could get to the other one without either cutting in front of the people right at the front or stepping over the flight attendants.

Entertainment options were great. But if taking your own head phones then take a dual Jack with you also.

Think that’s all.
Thanks miked1e, good to hear a review of someone having done the route, gives me an idea of what to expect, we have a 2 hour 20 min stop down which from what you say sounds enough time to get though immigration without rushing
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Just flown GLA/DUB/JFK with Aer Lingus, we only had 1hr 15m transfer time which was a pain as we were on the regional flight planes that involve a bus transfer to the terminal building which wasn't ideal, at least from Manchester you shouldn't have that.

Pre-clearance was a bit of a mare, the place was busy and the staff unhelpful..by the time we got from the plane, through flight connections, additional security scan we had 45 mins left to face pre-clearance, we asked a staff member about our flight and were told we had to join the queue and listen for a shout for gate closing to be expedited which happened as we got to the front, then we were told to run for the plane.

What we found though is that lots of people were heading in for flights that weren't due for takeoff until lunchtime and didn't need to be there at the time.

If we were to use Dublin again, we would try going over the night before and trying to maximize time for pre-clearance
That doesn't sound like a good experience, we have a 2 hour 20 minute stop down so hopefully enough time to get through immigration
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sweetums View Post
Dublin seem geared up for ASD, I have recently received a "Important Person" lanyard I applied for last week. they don't appear to follow the sunflower scheme we are used to over here. I have no idea how well it will work in practice but i'll gladly update after we use it next month.
dublinairport/at-the...ng-with-autism
They also have some videos to describe the layout of the airport and processes involved when transitting, i.e the pre clearance; you may find it helpful to watch with the little ones. The only thing I wasn't keen on was having to provide the proof of diagnosis / letter from DR, (we emailed a copy of the diagnosis) via email, and I didn't see any information on what they did with the information after they received it. We have 4 hrs 50, I didn't fancy the stress of the 2 hour option, but worried this is too long now, although we have booked the '51st and Green' lounge so that should help a little.
many thanks for this information, my son is 37 and I have no idea if our GP has any information on his diagnosis as it was so long ago, I may email them and ask what to do in this case, I am also taking his girlfriend who has epilepsy and never done a long haul flight before so it is going to be an interesting trip. I booked the flights with a 2 hour 20 minute stop over so we wouldn't be waiting around for long but I am still wondering if this is enough time. Please update when you return, my son copes better with as much information as he can get and we try and plan accordingly. The sad thing is he has flown Thomas Cook lots of times and we had hit the point where I dint have to go through everything all the time with hi because he knew already but we are having to start again with a different airline and different airport.Hopefully it will all be good
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MENTALMUM View Post
That doesn't sound like a good experience, we have a 2 hour 20 minute stop down so hopefully enough time to get through immigration
As long as the flight to Dublin gets away in time, you'll be fine.

I think it's the typical issue of folk wanting to be gate lice and just batter through into pre-clearance when their flights haven't been called that's the problem, if access to pre-clearing was better policed (only allowing access to flights currently boarding/boarding imminently & lounge access) then things would move much better.
Old 13 Nov 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
I think it's the typical issue of folk wanting to be gate lice and just batter through into pre-clearance when their flights haven't been called that's the problem, if access to pre-clearing was better policed (only allowing access to flights currently boarding/boarding imminently & lounge access) then things would move much better.
Nope! It’s because you can never tell how long it’s going to take! My husband used to go to USA a lot from Dublin and his policy is always to go straight down as soon as you arrive at the airport because it’s taken him as long as 3 hours to get through before!
That said, they do have a fast lane system I believe if your flight is imminent so you shouldn’t miss the flight as long as you’re in the queue
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List