Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 5 Sep 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Crutch

Some of you will be aware that I broke my leg fairly badly back in November. With all the hope in the world that I’d be doing star jumps by the time the holiday came around... it’s just not happened.

I’m at a point where I can walk just fine when I walk with one crutch, so that’s the plan. I’ve just bought an ankle brace too and we know that this holiday may be at a slower pace - my friends never been so knows no better so he’s fine with taking time to smell the roses a bit.

I also know that Disney do have wheelchairs and ECV’s to rent. Ideally want to avoid those cos I just so badly want the trip to be as normal as possible - I don’t want my friend pushing me in a chair all day or walking alongside me bombing along in a scooter. But I know they’re there if it’s been a long day and I’m tired. A chair may be useful at Epcot for food and wine, as an example.

My question is does anyone have experiences with doing Disney with a crutch. Or even going on holiday with one? Are the airports generally fine with it? Will I have to call ahead?

More to the point, I know that there are plenty of rides where I can take my crutch on with me. What about rides where that’s not the case? I can walk a little bit without it, albeit not that stable, but that’s fine - but after the ride will there be a cast member there to meet me with my crutch? I’m thinking things like space mountain where I obviously can’t take it with me and the load and unload stations are in different areas.

Also Universal? I’d assume that I can queue with my crutch past the metal detectors?

Just any advice would be great

Edited at 08:03 AM.
adreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Would a walking stick be more manageable? You would be able to take that on the tamer rides, though not roller coasters. That would be easier at the airport and on the plane. Remember and book airport assistance though, so you can save your energies for the actual holiday.
Old 5 Sep 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Last year I used a walking stick as I had snapped my Achilles - all the rides were fine with it and I went on some with my air cast on. The immigration at MCO was brilliant as the hall was full and I let my family go off in front while I had a rest on a bench, an immigration officer came up to me and took me through the special assistance lane and also found my family and brought them through - take it steady and don't be afraid to have a rest and ask a cast member if you need any help
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Pobbypaws
VIP Dibber

I did Disney and Universal in May with a single elbow crutch. I had no issues at the airport and in fact they were extra helpful most of the time. I had to put it through with the trays at security and they gave me a wooden walking stick to go through the scanner with. No issues on the plane, it either went in the overhead locker or when it didn't fit they stored if for me and brought it back each time I needed it.

In Disney I was able to take it with me on most of the rides. The CM's were really helpful and let me know what to do with it. Where I couldn't take it on the ride they took it from me and it was ready and waiting as I got off the ride. They also offered to slow down rides etc. to make it easier to get on the continuously moving rides.

Universal was also great (although I didn't do the 'big' rides) and again just let me know what I needed to do.

There were no issues with park security - they either checked the crutch separately or just waved me through the side of the scanner.

I did have to relent and hire a wheelchair for a few park days. I'd been managing perfectly well with one crutch for about 6 months, with quite a bit of walking, when I went in May (knee injury last year). For the first few days I was determined that I was going to walk, by day 4 I was really struggling as it is just so much walking. I ended up using a wheelchair between 'lands' or 'areas' of the park and then using the crutch to walk around, before getting back in the chair to move to the next one.
Pobbypaws is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Would a walking stick be more manageable? You would be able to take that on the tamer rides, though not roller coasters. That would be easier at the airport and on the plane. Remember and book airport assistance though, so you can save your energies for the actual holiday.
Booked airport assistance - thanks for the tip.

I’m not quite steady on my legs enough for a walking stick. A full elbow crutch gives me more support!
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pobbypaws View Post
I did Disney and Universal in May with a single elbow crutch. I had no issues at the airport and in fact they were extra helpful most of the time. I had to put it through with the trays at security and they gave me a wooden walking stick to go through the scanner with. No issues on the plane, it either went in the overhead locker or when it didn't fit they stored if for me and brought it back each time I needed it.

In Disney I was able to take it with me on most of the rides. The CM's were really helpful and let me know what to do with it. Where I couldn't take it on the ride they took it from me and it was ready and waiting as I got off the ride. They also offered to slow down rides etc. to make it easier to get on the continuously moving rides.

Universal was also great (although I didn't do the 'big' rides) and again just let me know what I needed to do.

There were no issues with park security - they either checked the crutch separately or just waved me through the side of the scanner.

I did have to relent and hire a wheelchair for a few park days. I'd been managing perfectly well with one crutch for about 6 months, with quite a bit of walking, when I went in May (knee injury last year). For the first few days I was determined that I was going to walk, by day 4 I was really struggling as it is just so much walking. I ended up using a wheelchair between 'lands' or 'areas' of the park and then using the crutch to walk around, before getting back in the chair to move to the next one.
I’m definitely gonna try for the first day and use that as a barometer for what I can manage.

It’s just me and my friend so we’ve got no kids which means we can take the whole holiday at our own pace.

I know that assistance is there at Disney for if and when I need. I think animal kingdom and Epcot will be my biggest challenges.