Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2 Jan 21, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Washington DC and Williamsburg 2022

I have been thinking about a trip to Williamsburg for a couple of years as I wanted to try out Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion.

That virus wiped out the vague plan I had for last year so I have bitten the bullet and booked a flight as Virgin had a sale and they have given the reassurance of changing flights if needed.

So far I have booked PE return Heathrow to Washington DC in the middle of June.
Not sure what will happen about the vaccine - will it be a requirement or not so that may scupper the plan as in group 9.

Still pondering on how to get to Heathrow, driving up is fine but after a night flight the drive back to Devon is horrible.

I have 2 nights in DC at the start and have booked the Hyatt Regency, Capitol Hill for £290. A bit more than I planned but it is refundable so will check for better deals but it looks really central.

I have booked 4 nights in Williamsburg, I have timeshare points so this was done through them and can be cancelled if needed.

I haven't decided what to do on my last night yet, may return to DC or stay near Kings Dominion.

I have never driven in the US, usually enjoy the rest from driving but as I have been working from home since March I can't use that excuse. So I am trying to build up my confidence to drive from DC (though not in DC) down to Williamsburg which looks easy.

I have a list of places I want to visit:
Washington monument; Capitol building; Lincoln memorial; Library of Congress; Smithsonian air and space museum for starters.

I also plan to visit the historical sites in Williamsburg and if I have a car a little more.

Update on trip
So 2 nights booked at the Washington Hilton for £255 so need to cram as much in as possible.
Booked the Amtrak for $11 from Union Station to Richmond and then will jump into an uber to the airport to pick up my car.
Never driven in the US before but 6 days car hire through BA was £352. Will drive to Williamsburg as staying at the Historic Powhatan resort for 6 nights.

3 day ticket for BG for £65, can't complain about that.

Edited at 10:15 PM. Reason: updated
lizzie145 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List