Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 May 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Are you sure you dont have tinnitus? I used to ask people if they can hear silence even when I was a child because since as far back as I can remember I hear a sound that sounds a bit like fizzy pop in a glass , or a high pitched whine, I hear it constantly no matter where I am. Only time I dont is when I'm asleep. Go for a walk somewhere really quiet and see if you can hear it away from the house. And if you can then it's not electric
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
You could try and narrow it down by switching off parts of the consumer unit (Electric Fuse Box)

try switching off the circuit breaker for the lights first and see if you still hear the sound.
then try switching off the circuit breaker for the Sockets, etc. until eventually you switch off the main circuit breaker.

this will at least point you in a direction or rule out the mains electricity.
Old 9 May 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Are you sure you dont have tinnitus? I used to ask people if they can hear silence even when I was a child because since as far back as I can remember I hear a sound that sounds a bit like fizzy pop in a glass , or a high pitched whine, I hear it constantly no matter where I am. Only time I dont is when I'm asleep. Go for a walk somewhere really quiet and see if you can hear it away from the house. And if you can then it's not electric
Thank you, I hadn't thought of this. Will give it a go. I had just assumed that it was the electric. Can tinnitus develop over time ? I don't think I have been hearing it since childhood, but perhaps have only just noticed it :-(
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
You could try and narrow it down by switching off parts of the consumer unit (Electric Fuse Box)

try switching off the circuit breaker for the lights first and see if you still hear the sound.
then try switching off the circuit breaker for the Sockets, etc. until eventually you switch off the main circuit breaker.

this will at least point you in a direction or rule out the mains electricity.
Will give this a go in the morning when the kids are out of the house, otherwise I won't be able to hear the change in electricity noise for the wailing as the broadband goes off 😁
Old 9 May 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thank you, I hadn't thought of this. Will give it a go. I had just assumed that it was the electric. Can tinnitus develop over time ? I don't think I have been hearing it since childhood, but perhaps have only just noticed it :-(
It can develop at any time. Mine started after I had an ear abscess when I was about 5 years old , it's just a constant noise, sometimes if the room is very quiet it drives me nuts , most of the time it's just there and I dont take much notice because after 58 years of it I dont know any different. Occasionally it is so loud that I dont realise just how load till it stops.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

It must be very annoying for you. Hope you find the cause.

We recently bought an air-fryer and the kids cannot even stand to be in the same room as it when it is on standby. They all say it is a very high pitched noise that drives them mad.
They HAVE to go straight to it and switch it off at the socket.
Hubby and I cannot hear a thing!
I did wonder about the dogs after the kids all said it was THE most annoying noise (I'm sure it IS annoying but 'THE most annoying' *rolls eyes* such drama! ) but the dogs don't seem to be bothered by it.

Hope you find your cause

Edited at 03:33 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
It must be very annoying for you. Hope you find the cause.

We recently bought an air-fryer and the kids cannot even stand to be in the same room as it when it is on standby. They all say it is a very high pitched noise that drives them mad.
They HAVE to go straight to it and switch it off at the socket.
Hubby and I cannot hear a thing!
I did wonder about the dogs after the kids all said it was THE most annoying noise (I'm sure it IS annoying but 'THE most annoying' *rolls eyes* such drama! ) but the dogs don't seem to be bothered by it.

Hope you find your cause
I have an airfryer but it doesn't seem to make the same electric noise as your but I do feel for your teens the electric shine is very unpleasant.

I seem to remember hearing about a teen-dispersion system for kids with antisocial behaviour. I think it was called the mosquito or something. It was a very very high pitched noise which teens were able to hear and adults not; and it was so annoying to them they left rather than hang around near it. I have a feeling it went on to be banned or something as it was against rights or something (but may be imagining that last bit).

Always struck me as a bit odd that kids could be susceptible to the high pitched noises from electricity considering the amount of time my kids spend on electronics.

Perhaps it's just an indication that I have youthful ears. About the only bit of me.that is youthful, but I will take it !
Old 9 May 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
It can develop at any time. Mine started after I had an ear abscess when I was about 5 years old , it's just a constant noise, sometimes if the room is very quiet it drives me nuts , most of the time it's just there and I dont take much notice because after 58 years of it I dont know any different. Occasionally it is so loud that I dont realise just how load till it stops.
That sounds absolutely horrid. At least with an external noise you can (hopefully) find it and eliminate it. A sound from inside your head must be maddening.

I hadn't realised that it could stop and start though. How fascinating. I wonder what the start / stop triggers are 🤔
Old 9 May 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
That sounds absolutely horrid. At least with an external noise you can (hopefully) find it and eliminate it. A sound from inside your head must be maddening.

I hadn't realised that it could stop and start though. How fascinating. I wonder what the start / stop triggers are 🤔
I also suffer from tinnitus, mine is a white noise type "whine" for want of a better word. It is a bit maddening, but at 57 (mine started in my 20s) I can tune it out ... it doesn't stop as such, you just stop noticing something that is always there sometimes... it can also be a blessing, I find it easy to sleep by focusing on the noise inside my ears.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Electricial frequency is 50hz ac in your home. So it’s possible you could hear it. It could also be your imagination. If your in a sound box used for hearing examinations you will hear that really low buzz you probably are thinking of. It’s probably a natural phenomenon we all experience.
Sometimes I can hear my sky q box buzzing and it disappears if I turn it off for a few minutes. As someone has mentioned turn off appliances one at a time until the sounds gone.
50 Hz is a pretty low frequency so it wont be that (the OP said high frequency). You couldn't hear it anyway unless it is amplifies in some manner - transformers in cheap power supplies for example.
I have spent many hundreds of hours chasing mains hum in PA systems in badly wired buildings. It can be a real pain to find and sometimes harder to fix (safely).

Edited at 06:26 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List