Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Jul 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Safe travels, looking forward to this one
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Just checking... Is that all your luggage in the opening pic? Cabin sized bags. If so I'm impressed as I'm hoping to have a lighter luggage trip.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by florida_2012 View Post
Just checking... Is that all your luggage in the opening pic? Cabin sized bags. If so I'm impressed as I'm hoping to have a lighter luggage trip.
Yes. That’s it. We only average around 12.5 on previous trips and that with medium suitcases. Even California N to South last Easter was only 14 and that with a 600 mile difference in temp from SFO to San Diego necessitating fleeces... (that we never needed or used). There are washing machines dotted through the vacation.

Flights (as will become clear), involve several internal ones and therefore getting down to Cabin sized, whilst easy, saves us a lot of money (and time at baggage reclaim).
London Boston with Norwegian means that we have paid £25 each for selected seats (including 2 x exit row) and we are no meals (it’s only 7 hours) and no hold luggage.
On internals, checked baggage would have been £35pp per flight.
Coming home, we have hold baggage in case we buy stuff.. and meals as it is a 10 hour from Miami.

Time will tell if this was a wise decision!

Edited at 10:52 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:56 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 2, travel and arrival in Boston ... or ‘Planes and boats and trains’ (Dione Warwick)

Well, the good news is that we woke up bright and early at Premier Inn. The bad news, our flight was not until 1650. That is a lot of day to fill!

A Premier Inn breakfast was followed by a seamless check in (no hold baggage, remember) and then a wait until 1330 when we could enter ‘My Lounge’. We do not normally bother with Lounges, preferring a leisurely Prem Inn breakfast, a stroll and some people watching in the terminal, atrium. The fact that we had a whole day to fill before flying had caused this extortionately expensive change upon us.

‘My Lounge’ was airy, not overcrowded and a respite from the departure hall. The wine was a rather refreshing Sauvignon and the snacks pretty good.I would certainly now reccommend it as a time filler, but not a rite of passage, if flying in the morning.

Mandie relaxes in ‘my lounge’.
We duly left and flew at the allotted 1650 and I must say that the flight was excellent. The IFE was very good, albeit not as wide in range as that of Virgin Atlantic. When food was bought around, we were grateful for our £3.99 WH Smith meal deals as I most certainly would not have swapped with those who had paid for in flight meals. The guy next to me looked rather envious of our fare!

Boston immigration and customs worked really well with the automated booths and we went from Aircraft exit door to the pavement outside within 20 minutes. We walked past baggage reclaim on our way out .. and the carousel hadn’t even started moving. I must admit, we felt somewhat smug. Dan (our eldest) was the very first off the plane. (He wanted me to mention this).

The taxi from Logan to Lewis wharf, where our boat letting was moored was a simple matter and it must be added that downtown is spectacularly close to Boston Int... and then the snags started.

We could not contact the guy who was to check us into the boat, a snag only remedied when my ‘tech savvy‘ son realised that in order to use UK mobile phones, we had to do plus and then one first. We soon then met up, and were on our 2 bedroom boat in no time. $576 for 3 nights in a 2 x bedroom, air conditioned accommodation is around a third of hotel prices or even better. Boston hotels seemed pricier than New York, when planning. Besides.. this is far more exciting!

The location is excellent and we are all of 100 yds from old town Boston. All that remained was a quick walk to a convenience store and then bed!

Our lovely, air conditioned 2 bedroomed ocean liner. (Of sorts).

The ships lounge.

Dan admires the Boston skyline from wharfside next to the boat.

10800 steps for the day.

And my patriotic boxers are all prepped and ready for the morning!

Edited at 10:57 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 06:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Sansburye
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Glad the journey went well. Talking of Premier Inn’s, our favourite Cribbs Causeway one burned to the ground yesterday!
Sansburye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sansburye View Post
Glad the journey went well. Talking of Premier Inn’s, our favourite Cribbs Causeway one burned to the ground yesterday!
Very sad. We stayed in it last month and really liked it, commenting on the large room size.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Great start. Looking forward to following along.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 3 Boston freedom trail.. or ‘revolution’ (by the Beatles).

We were up at 6 and out at 8, having slept well. The day was to turn into a cloudless 31’c sweat fest. Still, not to worry it’s only a 2.5 mile stroll with plenty to see.

It was a single man recce first (as it was still cool), to find long wharf (for tomorrow) and then Rowe’s wharf for tonight before returning to get the family moving. We were in the old town at Quincy Market for 9am. This is a 100yd long Hall that is full of fast food outlets, selling Gelatto, Lobster, Crab, Scallops, Pizza, Bagels, Cake, Donuts, Hogies, Waffles.. anything. Not cheap, but an amazing choice.

I was going to finally photograph some food.. namely my Steak and cheese Hogie at Quincy’s . It didn't last that long though.

On the contrary, Matts breakfast selection, A green monster (mint ice cream), proved rather a challenge.

We were at the start of the freedom trail on Boston common for 1000. From there you just ‘follow the red brick road' (or rather line), as it winds it’s way through Boston and ends up at USS Constitution. (We didn’t bother with the Bunker hill monument). It was a fascinating, absorbing and informative route that covered all of the significant sites in Boston. I had previously purchased a Ladybird sized book on the trail. I highly recommend it as it covered everything in just the right amount of detail.

The superb Freedom trail guide

And it’s fold out map (heavily annotated by me).

Massachusetts State House with its fascinating gold leaf roof.

I should be a reporter. Last year it was the drugs bust on Santa Monica pier (see trippie ‘California N to South at Easter), whilst this year it is the topless woman getting arrested outside the Massachusetts State House.. (far more fascinating than any gold leaf roof clad by Paul Revere). At first I thought it was a Freedom Trail re-enactment, but then realised that she wasn’t in 1776 dress.. or undress. Those knickers would appear to be of cheap nylon! Perhaps my skills in my former Police career have not deserted me!

A Fire Engine.. because they look so much more impressive than ours. Blues and twos going.

The scene of the Boston massacre where 5 people were shot by the British Army, sparking the American Revolution.

A statue of a guy called Paul Reveire who was by all accounts an accomplished point to point Jockey.

The magnificent USS Constitution.

A ‘stern’ view

Matt’nDan

In the early evening, it was just around the corner to the ‘sail loft’, a cafe bar , right on the water and remarkably for Boston, realistic pricing.
4 x bottomless sodas and 4 entrees came in at $92. The food was very good quality and in typical American portions. An appetiser would be wasted.

Said ‘Sail loft’.

And now, the evening 1.5hr cruise. ‘Be there 1830 to sail at 1900’, they said. Well, the 200 passengers were, but the boat was initially not. We eventually sailed at 1930 when it turned up and the cruise shortened to an hour.. no refund, no apology.. so no tip.

The trip was really good and the commentary excellent.

USS Constitution preparing to fire at dusk.

Sunset over Charlestown

Ditto.

Matt.

21800 steps for the day.

Edited at 11:33 PM.
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

How exciting I didn’t realise you had started your trip yet! Enjoyed a quick catch up, your travel days seem relatively hassle free. I’m impressed with your hand luggage only plan. I love that you are staying on a boat. I really want to go to Boston in October I couldn’t believe how expensive the hotels were when I looked. I’m going to look for your book with the fold out map in case I’m lucky enough to get to Boston this year! Looking forward to reading more.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Looking forward to reading along and staying on a boat for a few nights seems like a great start to your trip.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List