Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 5 Jan 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

WDW has tons of service dogs at Xmas

Just an observation, not noticed it in summer to the same extent, perhaps because of heat.

The park had lots of people with service dogs. Most were not what you’d call a traditional service dog, like a Labrador, but little fluffy dogs, great huge big dogs, dogs with ribbons in the fur and mouse ears on.

They all had vests on saying ‘service dog’ or similar.

We saw dogs all over.

This was an example I actually snapped in the background of a photo and have zoomed in on:

Old 5 Jan 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

"At Walt Disney World Resort, a service animal is a dog or miniature horse that is trained to do work or perform tasks for, and to assist, an individual with a disability."

Clearly this service animal comes under the latter! He's huge!

Edited at 11:32 AM.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JulesAyr
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 20
Mobile

We’re just back and saw loads too. We noticed a number saud they were for emotional / anxiety support and with those crowds I’m not surprised people would need them with them!

July 2004 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Dec 2007 - Christmas at Disney - Sheraton Studio City/Royal Plaza
June/July 2009 - Hilton Doubletree Guest Suites, LBV
July 2011 - Hard Rock Hotel, Marriott Clearwater, Buena Vista Palace
July 2012 - Buena Vista Palace / Royal Pacific Resort
July 2015 - Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific Resort
July 2017 - OKW / Royal Pacific Resort
2019 - Christmas and New Year trip
JulesAyr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

A lot will be emotional support or therapy dogs which are becoming more common. Others may be on hand for people with epilepsy and other such conditions as they’re trained to detect when things are about to go wrong, or help when it does happen.

These fall outside what a lot will recognise as a ‘service dog’ as people automatically thing of a Labrador that helps those who are partially sighted.

What I learned on my last trip is how many rides these dogs are actually allowed on. Also saw the crate the dogs have to go in for rides that they can’t go on. Was quite interesting.

All doesnt bother me in the slightest as long as the animal is cared for correctly. Foot protection considered, plenty of water etc
Old 5 Jan 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by adreamisawish View Post
A lot will be emotional support or therapy dogs which are becoming more common. Others may be on hand for people with epilepsy and other such conditions as they’re trained to detect when things are about to go wrong, or help when it does happen.

These fall outside what a lot will recognise as a ‘service dog’ as people automatically thing of a Labrador that helps those who are partially sighted.

What I learned on my last trip is how many rides these dogs are actually allowed on. Also saw the crate the dogs have to go in for rides that they can’t go on. Was quite interesting.

All doesnt bother me in the slightest as long as the animal is cared for correctly. Foot protection considered, plenty of water etc
Emotional support animals are not service dogs and not allowed in the parks - they allow proper service dogs only. So if someone has got in with an emotional support animal (massively open to abuse) they have lied at the front gate.

Edited at 01:32 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

We saw a lady with 2 yorkies when over there in October, she had one in a carrier on her front and she had just got of the buzz light year ride the poor thing was shaking like a leaf, I’m sure they may be of some sort of support for her but to put the poor dog through that beggars belief.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I do not agree with emotional support animalsbeen allowed into park, anyone can say there pet is for emotional support, service dogs are the opposite they should be allowed in to help the person there with
Orlandoguy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m worried about abuse- simply because abuse usually leads to tighter rules/ changes in legislation and more hassle for the genuine.
Old 5 Jan 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’m worried about abuse- simply because abuse usually leads to tighter rules/ changes in legislation and more hassle for the genuine.
Exactly this. Genuine people will jump through hoops because of the stupid people
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pudding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Same saw a few dogs and thought the same my son said they must be support dogs?

Pudding
pudding is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List