Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Dec 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Two passports - Can you have two estas?

Hi,

I have two valid passports.
Can I apply for / hold two ESTAs in parallel - one on each passport?

PS. I know I dont need to do this, just wondering if I can.

Thanks
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You can have two estas as they are issued against the passport number; the name is purely secondary. So an esta for each passport number.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
You can have two estas as they are issued against the passport number; the name is purely secondary. So an esta for each passport number.
Thanks.
Thats what I thought.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
From the FAQs on the official ESTA site.

What if I have dual citizenship and/or have a passport from more than one country?
Each Visa Waiver Program traveler must have an approved travel authorization for the passport they plan to use before they travel to the United States. If a traveler obtains a new passport, they must submit a new travel authorization application in ESTA using the new passport. A processing fee will be charged for each new application submitted.

If you have dual citizenship and have registered with ESTA, you should use your VWP-eligible passport to board the plane when you leave your country of departure and when you arrive in the U.S. If both your countries of citizenship are VWP-eligible, then we strongly recommend you choose which one you want to claim for purposes of travel to the U.S., and use that country's passport each time you travel. One person with two different ESTA authorizations creates confusion that will only delay your travel.

If you are a citizen of the U.S., and also of a VWP country, you should not be applying for ESTA. One of the requirements of being a naturalized U.S. citizen is that you apply for, and use, a U.S. passport for your travels. While we are aware that in some cases, naturalized U.S. citizens use their alternate country's passport to travel, our expectation is that you will use the U.S. passport to travel from another country to the U.S. at both points of travel, departing the foreign country, and arriving into the U.S.

There's not been too many posts about ESTAs these last few months but I see the FAQs have been amplified extensively to cover the Schengen, UK and RoI proclamation.

Mick

Edited at 04:42 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post

What if I have dual citizenship and/or have a passport from more than one country?
Each Visa Waiver Program traveler must have an approved travel authorization for the passport they plan to use before they travel to the United States. If a traveler obtains a new passport, they must submit a new travel authorization application in ESTA using the new passport. A processing fee will be charged for each new application submitted.

If you have dual citizenship and have registered with ESTA, you should use your VWP-eligible passport to board the plane when you leave your country of departure and when you arrive in the U.S. If both your countries of citizenship are VWP-eligible, then we strongly recommend you choose which one you want to claim for purposes of travel to the U.S., and use that country's passport each time you travel. One person with two different ESTA authorizations creates confusion that will only delay your travel.

If you are a citizen of the U.S., and also of a VWP country, you should not be applying for ESTA. One of the requirements of being a naturalized U.S. citizen is that you apply for, and use, a U.S. passport for your travels. While we are aware that in some cases, naturalized U.S. citizens use their alternate country's passport to travel, our expectation is that you will use the U.S. passport to travel from another country to the U.S. at both points of travel, departing the foreign country, and arriving into the U.S.

There's not been too many posts about ESTAs these last few months but I see the FAQs have been amplified extensively to cover the Schengen, UK and RoI proclamation.

Mick
Your still ‘on fire’ Mick

Disney332
Old 6 Dec 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Your still ‘on fire’ Mick

Disney332
D332

Getting into practice for when the good times return soon. You remember the likes of car hire -v- Uber, villa or hotel, Longhorn or Outback.

Sadly a few adolescent patronising "experts" have joined my "ignore" function but as they say it's a sign of the times.

Mick
Old 6 Dec 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

D332

Getting into practice for when the good times return soon. You remember the likes of car hire -v- Uber, villa or hotel, Longhorn or Outback.

Sadly a few adolescent patronising "experts" have joined my "ignore" function but as they say it's a sign of the times.

Mick
Stay safe both, and have a lovely Xmas. 🎅🏻

Disney332
Old 6 Dec 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Stay safe both, and have a lovely Xmas. 🎅🏻

Disney332
You too safely in your family bubbles if you can. We're lucky as we can do that.

Mick
Old 7 Dec 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Mick
Thanks Mick.
The background is I have UK and RoI passports. My ESTA is on my UK passport - which will expire in a few months.
I was considering getting an ESTA on my Irish passport to remove any pressure to sort out my UK passport in these strange times. I generally wont put my passport in the mail and renew my UK passport at the local passport office, but suspect they are closed.

Edited at 10:00 AM.
Old 7 Dec 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Thanks Mick.
The background is I have UK and RoI passports. My ESTA is on my UK passport - which will expire in a few months.
I was considering getting an ESTA on my Irish passport to remove any pressure to sort out my UK passport in these strange times. I generally wont put my passport in the mail and renew my UK passport at the local passport office, but suspect they are closed.

They "Strongly recommend" against it, rather than say don't do it. This suggests that you're quite within your rights to do it, but it makes life harder for them. Then I read between the lines of the last sentence, the confusion they mention, they may well be mightily interested in clearing up. A euphemism for a potential interrogation as they probe your motives for doing it.

The fact is you have a good reason for doing it, and should you have to explain it, I suspect they will be happy with why. Although you may get the old favourite of the jobsworth, where they give you a dressing down, not because you're wrong, but because you've caused them extra work.

I would expect it to flag up in the questioning, as they often ask if you've been before and your honest answer would be yes but on a UK passport. Also worth remembering is that they take fingerprints and photographs so they have the capability of matching the different passports up irrespective of the questioning. Whether or not they do that in realtime and it flags up before you leave the desk is a different question. I'd more expect a link to form between the passports and you get quizzed the next time, but that's only if the officers conversation doesn't bring it up.