Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jun 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Wwyd- seeing parents after two years apart

I don’t get along with my mother. I tried very hard to deal with the favouritism she did between me and my sisters and it all came to head two years ago when I cut her out of our life’s.
I must say that not having to deal with the stress of it all has been wonderful. I did some councilling at Christmas for other things and they agreed that cutting out the drama was good.

My hubby thought I should take to her and that I would regret not trying again. He interfered and last few months we have texted though I am not sure why.

He has now interfered again and has invited her for an hour this afternoon.

The only reason I am going along with it is for the kids as we asked them what they wanted and they said to see her.

I don’t think that anyone really understands how I feel about this. Why it was always so difficult and what it actually does to me as a person. I’ve never felt good enough/low self worth and unfortunately both my parents had a part in that.

I just don’t know how I am going to get through that hour.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I feel for you. Will your DH be there this afternoon? If so, could you just go out?

If mynDH had done that I would be soooo annoyed!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Very difficult situation for you I have experienced similar with my sister and she caused so much drama and hurt to my parents I made the decision to have no contact at all. There was no way to have a relationship the way it was before because of what she did to my parents. She kept sending cards to my kids and seemed to think they would still want contact however in our case my youngest is 18 and they all made the decision themselves that they want nothing more to do with her either due to what she did to their grandparents. They and my husband are actually more angry about it all than even I was

My parents still have minimal contact with her but to be honest even that usually still upsets them and brings it all back.

My only advice going forward would be to always have the kids or your DH there as well and that would stop any conversation getting too personal whilst still giving the kids the chance to see her
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

It's just an hour, I think you need to tell your husband that this could be closure and if you don't want to see her again he has to respect your wishes!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It’s an hour , just sixty minutes , you can do it ! (That said I’d be livid if my husband had done it but if the kids want to see her maybe that is why he did)
Would it be easier if it wasn’t in your home but on neutral territory ? Maybe book an afternoon tea out or something .sell it to them all as a “treat” rather than as a method of preserving your sanity ?

Edited at 09:44 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
I don’t get along with my mother. I tried very hard to deal with the favouritism she did between me and my sisters and it all came to head two years ago when I cut her out of our life’s.
I must say that not having to deal with the stress of it all has been wonderful. I did some councilling at Christmas for other things and they agreed that cutting out the drama was good.

My hubby thought I should take to her and that I would regret not trying again. He interfered and last few months we have texted though I am not sure why.

He has now interfered again and has invited her for an hour this afternoon.

The only reason I am going along with it is for the kids as we asked them what they wanted and they said to see her.

I don’t think that anyone really understands how I feel about this. Why it was always so difficult and what it actually does to me as a person. I’ve never felt good enough/low self worth and unfortunately both my parents had a part in that.

I just don’t know how I am going to get through that hour.
I’m sorry you’ve been put in this situation, really Hubbie should’ve asked you first before doing this 😩😢
Just do it for the kids ❤️as it’s what they want to see her
Hope it goes ok xxx
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looking at a nanas point of view, it would kill me if I couldn’t see my granddaughter for 2 years….it’s only 60 minutes, you can do it…for the sake of the children…then, if it doesn’t go well..you can have closure.

Good luck.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

So why is your husband not respecting your wishes?

Let him see her with the kids if that's what he/they want.

Go out. Meet a friend. Do something you'll enjoy - there is no need for you to see your mother when she causes you that much distress.

So what if its "only an hour" why should you put yourself through it?

I know I wouldn't!

And I think I'd be having a serious discussion with my DH if he pulled a stunt like that on me, regardless of his "intentions "!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eeyore rocks View Post
Looking at a nanas point of view, it would kill me if I couldn’t see my granddaughter for 2 years….it’s only 60 minutes, you can do it…for the sake of the children…then, if it doesn’t go well..you can have closure.

Good luck.
I can see it from a nanas view but I told her when my eldest was 4 months and again when my youngest was born that I felt s*** about everything cos of how I felt I was treated and I wasn’t going to have my kids treated that way.
Surely you would change how you were acting when told. But no my mother said I was jealous of my sister. That I have mental issue.
Tbh I was jealous and I told her so cos my sister got the version of my mum that I wanted.

It’s just a bad day. I had bad dreams I’m not really in a good place. Work is crap. Only way I am dealing with emotions is crying which isn’t helping. It’s one of those times I just want to run away and hide somewhere on my own until I don’t feel like this. I just can’t deal right now
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

Do you have to be there? If it is damaging for your mental health then don't put yourself in that situation, go for a walk, put some tunes/audio book on and immerse in something that will help you.

Could your husband take the children to see her at her house? That is what happened in my family as my mum didn't get on with dad's mum so she was never welcome at our house but it didn't stop me from visiting her.

Dee x
Dan's Mum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List