Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

UPDATED again Anyone knowledgeable on student finance?

We are having a nightmare. We sent of everything and my daughter was supposed to get just enough to cover her student accommodation.
We received an email on Friday saying that due to my husband’s tax code it suggests he has a second income 🤯 so she will only get the minimum £4.4K but this won’t cover her accommodation, we can’t cover her food and pay the rest of the accommodation just on my husband’s teachers wage.
So yesterday was spent chasing up what and why this tax code problem has happened and it’s because he moved jobs, different college, so he owed £67 in tax therefore they put him on this different tax code that year so they could automatically take the £67. His tax code is as it should be this year. But student finance requires his wages and tax code from the previous year.
We have e mailed all the details plus sent his details for this year. We also rang but the lady said it goes off the tax code 🤷
My daughter is devastated. Do you know if we can appeal or anything?

Edited at 05:19 PM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
That doesn’t sound right - are you sure the correct income has been reported? I don’t see what relevance the tax code should have. Hope you get it sorted out.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

DIL says you have to download an appeal form and complete and provide supporting evidence
Just google student finance appeal and make sure you get the right form 2021/22
She’s out of the house right now so can’t access her computer she’s working from home currently works for student finance
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

WOW all this over £67 that sounds unbelievable 🤦
Surely it goes on household income
No advice but I hope you get it all sorted out soon, It must be a silly mistake 🤞
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
I’ve never given my tax code, only ever my earnings and small pension from my late husband.
My tax code was really bad when my daughter first went to uni as the tax office where convinced I was still getting a widows pension even though it stopped when she turned 18. It was never questioned by student finance

Your husband should have had a tax letter explaining the tax code when he was put on it, could he send a copy of that

I would ring again and try to speak to someone different.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

It doesn’t make any sense, what was his tax code? An adjustment to a tax code in order to collect £67 of tax should not be something that suggests a second income.

I don’t know a lot about student finance applications, but I am struggling to understand how it can “go off tax code” anyway. Somebody earning £5k and somebody earning £90k are pretty likely to have the same tax code.

Edited at 04:02 PM.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Neither of my 2 kids have given my tax code either.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Carrotcruncher
Excited about Disney

Have never given my tax code in the last 7 years of filling these in - just reported earnings and I've had between 6 and 9 different part time jobs at the same time in some of those years.
Have had to apply twice for a same year assessment when income dropped substantially due to changes in circumstances, which both went through.
Have spent countless hours on the phone to them though throughout this time about various issues, and sometimes it's just better to end a call when the person clearly doesn't understand, or you think is telling you a load of bull, to speak to a sensible person who understands what you are asking, and knows what to do about it
WDW - All Star Movies 2022
WDW - Drury Plaza Disney Springs 2023

Edited at 06:03 PM.
Carrotcruncher is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

Her University should have a Finance Team (possibly in Student Services) who will be able to help you and if your daughter gives her consent to them they will be able to contact Student Finance for you to sort out what you need to do and also help her with the appeal. I know the University I work at does!
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ring student finance, I found them really helpful when we've had to call.